XFer's Serum for iOS?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Serum

lets just ask for a tesla roadster powered by a watch battery while we're at it, huh ?
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:lets just ask for a tesla roadster powered by a watch battery while we're at it, huh ?
Uh, yeah, powerful point... Very comparable.

themagicalkamja wrote: The days of high-quality iOS music are well upon us.
Really? :o high-quality iOS music? Where? :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
This thread has been going around on r/synthesizers recently. Read it over. Plenty of great synths are mentioned along with user testimonies.

themagicalkamja wrote:
fmr wrote:
This thread has been going around on r/synthesizers recently. Read it over. Plenty of great synths are mentioned along with user testimonies.
You wrote "The days of high-quality iOS music". I don't care about the toys. Show me THE MUSIC. :roll:

Anyway, a crippled device, that runs a crippled OS, and cost the price of a middle-end/high-end laptop, is hardly something worthing consideration for someone serious about doing something besides "toying".

The only use that I have seen Pros having is using it as a controller for the DAW or some other device.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
themagicalkamja wrote:
fmr wrote:
You wrote "The days of high-quality iOS music". I don't care about the toys. Show me THE MUSIC. :roll:
There is enough iOS made high quality music around the world. It´s not about the tools, it´s about the user and likings of listeners.
But does it matter. At the end they all are computers. You can make albums on smartphones these days if you would like.....of course you don´t have to.
If people don´t care....just ignore it. For some reason it seems harder to ignore :D

Cinebient wrote: There is enough iOS made high quality music around the world. It´s not about the tools, it´s about the user and likings of listeners.
Show me where... So far, I never saw a single piece of music that was claimed to be done on iPad. But I accept there could be some. One could make music with just a spoon (and THAT I already saw). But again, there is the little adjective "high-quality". Of course, that's highly subjective. What's high quality for you may be trash to me :shrug:
Cinebient wrote: But does it matter. At the end they all are computers. You can make albums on smartphones these days if you would like.....of course you don´t have to.
If people don´t care....just ignore it. For some reason it seems harder to ignore :D
It's hard to ignore because there are people like you claiming that "At the end they all are computers". Yes, technically, you're right. You're even right about smartphones. They are also computers. My old 486 that I have here in the corner is also a computer. So is my TV box, and my washing machine, and my microwave hoaven. So what? Is that enough to qualify? I don't think so.

So, stop asking silly questions like "Are there plans for an iOS version of Serum"? I don't know if there are any, but if the author has enough time to waste, maybe it's better for him to spend it coding something else that he could sell for the same price as Serum, or keep developing it, instead of creating a crippled version to be sold in Apple Store for peanuts, and having to pay 30% to Apple.

Any developer that follows that path simply shows that he has no respect for his users, and therefore loses my respect too.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Cinebient wrote: There is enough iOS made high quality music around the world. It´s not about the tools, it´s about the user and likings of listeners.
Show me where... So far, I never saw a single piece of music that was claimed to be done on iPad. But I accept there could be. One could make music with just a spoon (and THAT I already saw. But again, there is the little adjective "high-quality". Of course, that's highly subjective. What's high quality for you may be trash to me :shrug:
Cinebient wrote: But does it matter. At the end they all are computers. You can make albums on smartphones these days if you would like.....of course you don´t have to.
It's hard to ignore because there are people like you claiming that "At the end they all are computers". Yes, technically, you're right. You're even right about smartphones. They are also computers. My old 486 that I have here in the corner is also a computer. So what? Does that be enough to qualify? I don't think so.

So, stop asking silly questions like "Are there plans for an iOS version of Serum"? I don't know if there are any, but if the author has enough time to waste, maybe it's better for him to spend it coding something else that he could sell for the same price as Serum, or keep developing it, instead of creating a crippled version to be sold in Apple Store for peanuts, and having to pay 30% to Apple.

Any developer that follows that patch simply shows that he has no respect for his users, and therefore loses my respect too.
Bla bla bla bla. Let it go.....Some developers (even famous like Korg and Moog) see a market there and some not. Point.
Someone asked and he might get an answer, even if it´s "no".
No drama. Everything is good.

fmr wrote:
themagicalkamja wrote:
fmr wrote:

Anyway, a crippled device, that runs a crippled OS, and cost the price of a middle-end/high-end laptop, is hardly something worthing consideration for someone serious about doing something besides "toying".

The only use that I have seen Pros having is using it as a controller for the DAW or some other device.

I own a Ipad Pro and the only reason I bought it was for office work and the odd music app. Most of the music tools I've bought for it are not as great as what's offered on a normal computer. They are fun, but making music with the apps has always felt like a clunky experience.

I think the most expensive music App i bought was Korg Gadget, and it's fun but again it's a very clunky experience and to be fair, it does feel Toylike. I can get a shit load more done in 1/4 the time in Bitwig with a laptop. I guess I'd rather just focus on making music than tinker with the iPads strange file management and limitations.

There are definitely professional sounding music apps on there, but I prefer to keep all my sound making stuff on one system.

When i load up Gadget I'm just not getting the same vibe that I get when I use Logic Pro, Bitwig, Ableton etc and I really don't think there is ever going to be anything as powerful as those coming to iOS anytime soon.

However as a OSC midi controller for my plugins and DAW, I really really like the iPad Pro. As a Office tool I absolutely love it for note-taking and sketching.
:borg:

fmr wrote:
themagicalkamja wrote:
fmr wrote:

I agree, hence i mentioned the "gadget" comparison earlier. I can also only really see the use as a controller. And even that seems a bit weird considering you could also just get a hardware controller, with real controls. Hence also the "gadget" prices for synth, or DAW apps.

You guys make me sad.
But i accept your opinions of course and i even agree on many points :)
But there are many people using these "toys", making some great things with it and some even prefer it over their old desktop workflow for their own reasons.
There is more than black or white.
Let people be happy with their tools.
Don't say a guitar player he can just make good sounds with a piano.
We all know "pro" musicians even doesn't talk about these nonsense and just combining all these things. But these people are not in forums like this anyway.

Cinebient wrote:You guys make me sad.
I'm sorry, wasn't my intention. :? Of course i respect it when people put their iPads to good use, and make nice music with it. Just saying that i couldn't. But then, i probably couldn't make music with my laptop in 1367x768 resolution either, because everything is optimized for use with higher resolutions now, or with the Blofeld i sent back, because it was so tedious to program (even though i love the sound). I can well see that other people do so, so, fair enough. As fmr mentioned though, apart from using an iPad as a creative tool, i have yet to witness a "serious" application though, like creating a professional sounding film score with it. Sorry, really can't see that happening. Maybe it would be technically possible, but it would be much more tedious, hard, and time consuming to do so, than if you did it on a machine which is more suited for such a task.

chk071 wrote:
Cinebient wrote:You guys make me sad.
I'm sorry, wasn't my intention. :? Of course i respect it when people put their iPads to good use, and make nice music with it. Just saying that i couldn't. But then, i probably couldn't make music with my laptop in 1367x768 resolution either, because everything is optimized for use with higher resolutions now, or with the Blofeld i sent back, because it was so tedious to program (even though i love the sound). I can well see that other people do so, so, fair enough. As fmr mentioned though, apart from using an iPad as a creative tool, i have yet to witness a "serious" application though, like creating a professional sounding film score with it. Sorry, really can't see that happening. Maybe it would be technically possible, but it would be much more tedious, hard, and time consuming to do so, than if you did it on a machine which is more suited for such a task.
Well, film score would really the hardest part for an iOS device and i even wouldn't think about it yet.
And i wish plug-ins would be made for high resolution screen. Still many are not sadly!
But that are lazy or uninterested developers maybe.
Also many people still think about old times when their computers needs 10 minutes until you can hit your first note after starting and they had blurry screens.
Modern desktops and notebooks are much better of course and just need seconds.
I still see usage for all my tools and devices.
I mean if Apple would let me run iOS on my mac i could use them all on one device.

V0RT3X wrote:making music with the apps has always felt like a clunky experience.
You're totally right about this. But that is Apple's fault, not the apps', per se. No matter how high-quality a synth app is, Apple's inability (or refusal) to make it easy for apps to communicate/integrate is a major hindrance to having the iPad replace the computer as your main DAW.

But Apple's failure in this regard doesn't mean the apps themselves suck. On the contrary, many of them are excellent. And this is what I was talking about: sound-designing/performing, not composing/arranging/mixing/mastering. For the latter things, the flexibility of a computer is obviously best. For the former, the iPad is more than sufficient.

So, considering that, back to my OP. Serum is a great instrument, and I like creating patches on it. But to make patches, currently I must be sitting at home in front of my computer. If Serum also had an iPad version, I could design patches wherever I am. Who would complain about that?

One way to price the Serum app that I just thought of would be to allow only people who have purchased the desktop version to use it. So the download would be free, but to actually use the app, you'd have to sign in using your XFer account or whatever that is linked to your desktop Serum purchase. This would avoid many problems, such as forcing Serum users to pay twice (VST + app), or having to price the iOS version at like 10% of the desktop version. Steve, I hope you're reading this!! :hyper:
Last edited by themagicalkamja on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:party:
Last edited by goldenanalog on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”