Propellerhead announces "Reason Compact" (now at version 2.0)

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnochLight wrote:
I don't think people are being realistic if they expect a complete mobile production environment on their cellphone.
Unrealistic??? The app is called "Reason Compact". What did YOU think it was going to be?

Based on your posts, you and Sailor are just two huge Propellerhead homers. Your opinions cannot and should not be taken seriously. But you can surely post them here - at least your comments won't get censored like they do over at Reasontalk.

And regarding the cheap shots at employees, PLEASE - Hanna Astrand, Reason Compact's Product Manager, has zero experience in music production. She said so herself in that video. People are merely pointing that out.

This is typical Propellerhead. They never hit it out of the park at their first at-bat. They might score a run in the 9th inning, but by then they're already down 23 - 0. But there's always that one group of fans with the "they have a lot of potential, I like the direction they're going!" and then they just wait and wait and wait.

And wait.

dvnation wrote:Unrealistic??? The app is called "Reason Compact". What did YOU think it was going to be?
I had no idea what it would be, but I certainly didn't expect to be able to take a production from start to finish on my cellphone. :lol:
dvnation wrote: Based on your posts, you and Sailor are just two huge Propellerhead homers. Your opinions cannot and should not be taken seriously. But you can surely post them here - at least your comments won't get censored like they do over at Reasontalk.
:roll:

I see. So you go on an ad hominem just because I disagree with your opinion? With that approach, there's no reason to take anything you say seriously, David. Not that I ever did over at Reasontalk. It's unlikely I'll ever start here.
dvnation wrote: And regarding the cheap shots at employees..
Yeah I'll stop you right there. They're cheap shots. Simple. You don't have to agree with me. That's cool. I disagree with you. That's how forums work.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

perpetual3 wrote:Well, I just downloaded it and I can’t login with my propellerhead account. .
Weird. Are you sure you didn't miss-type a character? I was able to log in with my Prop account without issue.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

A "cheap shot" would infer that she is defenseless when she's simply not. Hanna is free to defend herself if she wants. Sure blah blah blah we'll agree to disagree on this lol. Doesn't change the fact that Hanna Astrand, product manager of Reason Compact, with an App Store score of 3.1, and brutal negative feedback across the net, has zero music production experience and had to take a music production 101 course 2 months ago.

And yeah, well I'm sure you didn't expect Reason Compact to be a crippled version of Europa and bits-n-pieces of the players either. I mean, this is REASON compact. I know YOU expected more than this. You'll never admit to that of course. Go ahead and spin it as positively as you want with your delirious 'glass half full' point of view. Oh, but it has the potential to be great, right? When? How long is it going to take? You are very familiar with how Propellerhead operate, so you know the answer to that is YEARS. And even then it's going to be a half-assed approach. Especially if people like Hanna Astrand are involved. ; )

* yawn *

A post devoid of an ad hominem, David - well done! You're making progress. You seem to completely skip over the parts where I stated:
I have a ton of criticism for Reason Compact. Only 1 synth. An extremely limited sequencer. The lack of drums at launch was simply a bad move, IMHO, and IAP's being broken the first 24 hours didn't help their case. D'oh!
And:
I'll revisit once it has Kong (and I can sample with it), and at least 1 other synth.
Perhaps it's the way I present my criticism? If it's not scathing, dismissive, or downright confrontational, it doesn't carry any weight, right? Is that the only thing you are able to comprehend? If so, you should look elsewhere. You should know by now that I'm not only a "glass half full" type of person, but also that I have no interest in engaging in your trysts.

EnochLight wrote:
dvnation wrote:Unrealistic??? The app is called "Reason Compact". What did YOU think it was going to be?
I had no idea what it would be, but I certainly didn't expect to be able to take a production from start to finish on my cellphone. :lol:
dvnation wrote: Based on your posts, you and Sailor are just two huge Propellerhead homers. Your opinions cannot and should not be taken seriously. But you can surely post them here - at least your comments won't get censored like they do over at Reasontalk.
:roll:

I see. So you go on an ad hominem just because I disagree with your opinion? With that approach, there's no reason to take anything you say seriously, David. Not that I ever did over at Reasontalk. It's unlikely I'll ever start here.
dvnation wrote: And regarding the cheap shots at employees..
Yeah I'll stop you right there. They're cheap shots. Simple. You don't have to agree with me. That's cool. I disagree with you. That's how forums work.
It‘s possible since years to make whole albums on cellphones. Of course it‘s just an option.

EnochLight wrote:
perpetual3 wrote:Well, I just downloaded it and I can’t login with my propellerhead account. .
Weird. Are you sure you didn't miss-type a character? I was able to log in with my Prop account without issue.
Just came here to follow up:

The bug had to do with using the passwords auto fill feature in iOS which stores my PH password. After populating the password stored in iCloud, the login button wouldn’t activate. I stumbled upon the solution by accidentally typing an extra character, and then deleting it, which activated the login button. All good.

Went ahead and bought all the in app upgrades. Unexpectedly I love this app.

There’s really nothing to love with this app.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

perpetual3 wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
Just came here to follow up:

The bug had to do with using the passwords auto fill feature in iOS which stores my PH password. After populating the password stored in iCloud, the login button wouldn’t activate. I stumbled upon the solution by accidentally typing an extra character, and then deleting it, which activated the login button. All good.

Went ahead and bought all the in app upgrades. Unexpectedly I love this app.
Ahh, that's good to hear!

There's a pretty decent feature request thread for it over at Reasontalk. Maybe chime in there if you want:

https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic. ... &t=7508338

My wants:

https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic. ... 11#p408711

BMoore wrote:There’s really nothing to love with this app.
Who are you to tell anyone what they should love?

This app disappointed me.

Given the name, I expected to find a few devices, maybe with reduced features (because it's an iPad app instead of a full desktop application)... I expected to be able to make a simple drum beat (so a redrum or dr rex or something similar should have been avaible) and then to have a pair of synths, a simple sequencer and a simple mixer.
This is not even Europa lite. Most of the features are locked (in app purchase not working?) and the workflow is different from the desktop version. I wouldn't dislike the option of using Europa on my iPad, but Reason Compact is not that unfortunately.

Maybe the "Reason" name gave me wrong expectations, but I couldn't get my head around the workflow (and, while I don't make music for a living and I rarely use Reason, I don't consider myself an unexperienced user).

In my opinion, this app is not ready yet. It's pure speculation, but it looks like bad schedulation of the project and then someone decided to release the software at the deadline, even if it was clear that it wasn't ready. Or maybe they even changed the deadlines, but you have to release anyway at a certain point.
If that manager had to take a course in spring, maybe the story behind this app is more complicated than what we - end users - can see.
Why I say this? Let's say I saw something similar at my day job...
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

With the name "Reason Compact" everyone except Enochlight expected it to be a compact version of Reason.

And of course the app isn't ready - just like their flagship app Reason, they delivered an unfinished product making you pay for updates with features that should have been in there from the beginning. Sure some Reason updates here and there have been free - but Reason 10.2 - that's an updated clearly dictated by the fury and frustration of their longtime users.

Nothing will change with Reason Compact.

And good luck to you if you think your "feature" suggestions will be acted upon with any type of haste. Long time Reason users know the drill.

Engage away...

sin night wrote:This is not even Europa lite. Most of the features are locked (in app purchase not working?)
It seems like Europa lite to me. In fact, that's pretty much all it is right now. IAP's have been working fine since the day after launch (took them 24+ hours to fix IAP's, as far as I know).

Here's a comparison between Europa iOS versus the full VST/RE:
Europa_RE_Europa_VST.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EnochLight wrote:IAP's have been working fine since the day after launch (took them 24+ hours to fix IAP's, as far as I know).
In the meantime I tried it and I decided to uninstall it immediately (and the Europa features / IAPP issue were not the main reason behind this decision).
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

sin night wrote:In the meantime I tried it and I decided to uninstall it immediately (and the Europa features / IAPP issue were not the main reason behind this decision).
:party:

Yeah, I'm not really using it either (for reasons I already explained). I'll likely keep it installed to see what the updates bring, though.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”