Need a new MIDI controller

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a Novation ReMOTE SL Compact 25 key MIDI controller that is automatically incompatible with my Windows 10 laptop. I need suggestions on good mid-range priced MIDI controllers that have advanced features that are easy to use. I'm looking to spend anywhere between $299.99+Tax to $399.99+Tax. I have given the Novation SL Mk II a look and it's a good looking controller. Has the exact same features but it has LED light rings?!?! That's an unheard of feature. What other good brands would be compatible with Windows 10, and what models would be good? I intend to use the new controller for both making music, and creating sounds on standalone synthesizer plugins I have. Any help on this subject would be seriously appreciated. :) ;)

Those look good, but I don't like the tiny screen. The more parameters I can view at once, the better. I had thought about getting the original Komplete Kontrol, but I don't think those are around anymore. I don't even know where I could find one in new condition online.

Of course they are: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... l-s49-s61/

The new A series is not meant to be a replacement. It's rather the entry level series below the S series.

Or are your specifically looking for a 25 key keyboard?

I am looking to get the Sensel Morph which is MPE midi compatible.
Hope it goes on sale on Black Friday
https://sensel.com/pages/morph

The S series is too expensive for me. I did look into Nektar, but no integration with Ableton Live 10.

I've had the same 88 key midi controller for 8 years from M-Audio, its pretty standard but it does the job.

I posted this elsewhere but this seems to be the better place to enquire...

Re: SubZero COMMANDKEY25 Universal MIDI Controller

I'm just looking for a cheap and portable midi controller i can easily fit in my backpack and take to work with me. Will be using Ableton Live 10, I've got stacks of plugins but as an experiment I'm gonna limit myself to Ableton only on my my laptop.

I've already got an old AKAI MP25 mini, which works but is kinda knackered, this seems like the cheapest thing i can find that has all the important stuff. It looks suspiciously like an own brand version of Artruria Minilab but a lot cheaper. Anyone use it or have any thoughts?

https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-an ... oller/221X

Kalamata Kid wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:04 pm I am looking to get the Sensel Morph which is MPE midi compatible.
Hope it goes on sale on Black Friday
https://sensel.com/pages/morph
The Sensel Morph is on sale for $200

If you want knobs and buttons have a look at Midi Fighter Twister. I bought one recently and could not be happier, I use it together with an Akai LPK25 if I need keys on the go. It does not have a screen but it does have LED indicators. The knobs are "endless" so values don't jump when I twist a knob after changing to another plugin in Ableton. The only reason I did not buy one earlier is I thought they are a bit pricey and I had to order one from another country because they don't sell them in shops where I live. It is as good I hoped it would be, it is top quality. I don't know why it's not more talked about, maybe too expensive or because it seems to be marked towards DJs mostly. But to be honest I rather have that + any keyboard without knobs than almost any other controller I can think of. The NI S-series is nice but expensive and not portable. I also have the new NI A25 which is nice but I cannot fit it in my backpack.

i have the remote 49 sl compact which works on my laptop perfectly. windows 10 home... use the newest automap, and it works... in my case, anyway. the remote 25 sl compact doesn't seem different, beside, less keys... if you don't use automap, it installs the driver, that is necessary for the keyboard.

EDIT: this keyboard i have by "accident" somebody wanted to get rid of it.. i is still a great keyboard, with good keys. and automap works still great, sometimes i prefer this one over my sl 49 mkii (and i have als a zero sl mkii).

EDIT 2: ableton live doesn't need automap it uses a special template. i have just recently ableton live, so i do not know if they still work with each other, but i guess they will work. even older remote surfaces are supported. but you still need the driver...

The new Remote SL III looks awesome. A bit more than the OP wanted to spend but worth it imho.

you should be able to get your current controller working with windows 10. have you tried looking for new drivers?
whatever the problem is, there is a good chance it is easily fixable, no need to spend $300-$400.

I was totally looking at the Nektar T4 - but it was larger than expected, so I just bought a used Novation Ulranova instead. That way I get a good keybed with aftertouch and 37 keys, and it fits on my desk without hanging over the edges!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”