ipad is where the real is.

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

not just the pro... my air with the 1st gen pencil is just fine :)
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Yep, iPads in general are great drawing devices.

yeah i was really surprised with it. great for signing documents too... that and marking up text. also learned how to make animated titles for videos lol no wonder kids are spoiled these days lol... i would have been too if i had these 'tools' say 40-50 yrs ago :clown:
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

MadDogE134 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:25 am not just the pro... my air with the 1st gen pencil is just fine :)
The Air and the Mini are beasts. If I didn't have the Pro, I'd get one of those. Both amazing deals for what they offer.

The 1st gen pencil is great, not just fine. I was actually pretty upset that I had to upgrade to the new version but I was able to gift the 1st gen to someone else so it all worked out. The charging of the 2nd one is definitely better but not worth paying for all over again.

MadDogE134 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:19 am no wonder kids are spoiled these days lol... i would have been too if i had these 'tools' say 40-50 yrs ago :clown:
You and me both. I would've gone nertz over the creative possibilities — graphics, video, music… and an infinite supply of (admittedly, simulated) paper and other art supplies and tape and so on.

Fortunately I never entirely stopped being a kid, so it's still kind of breathtaking.

A bit OT, but I remember reading this story when I was young. At the time it seemed futuristic, of course, and now it seems endearingly clunky and retro. Who could have guessed then how much farther we'd get, long before the year mentioned in the story?

Isaac Asimov's "The Fun They Had". Just a page and a half.

https://lewebpedagogique.com/anglais/wp ... ey-had.pdf

"if i knew what it was like to be an adult i would never have grown up"

no truer words lol

Forgotten wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:55 am Yep, iPads in general are great drawing devices.
yeah, if you like post modernist futurism rubbish!
leonardo only needed a pencil!
and he became a turtle.

i like turtles!

vurt wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:48 pm leonardo only needed a pencil!
Leonardo was full of shit - pencils weren’t invented until 40 years after his death!

Turtles are cool though.

Forgotten wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:15 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:48 pm leonardo only needed a pencil!
Leonardo was full of shit - pencils weren’t invented until 40 years after his death!

Turtles are cool though.
he waa ahead of his time...

Meffy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:47 am
My reply would be "So? Before symphonies sinsethisers and big-dollar performing acts and all that, most musicians were disreputable vagabonds, traveling alone or in groups, playing mostly cheap or worn-out instruments, earning a few coins and maybe picking a pocket turning over a coke dealer or two before moving on. Let people have fun."

There's real wherever you look. And it is. Is.
disreputable ... nah, I'm a most reputable vagabond..

I was way to clumsy for picking pockets...
other wise, you're not far off the mark.

:hihi:

which one of you smart aleck edm bloods wants to teach me how to sync this ispark app to my reaper because i have yet to figure it out! :x

ashh wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:23 pm
Battle Cat wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:49 am as an alternative perspective,

Ive been hearing "its the future" for 10 years now. iOS is not new, nor the future, its a side show at best.

The allure is the price, but that in itself is a conundrum, raise the prices and it stops being so attractive. But I must say, its been a big reason for the drop off of Virtual instrument prices. Why pay $130 for something you can buy for $13? The answer is telling.

I do like ipads but not the culture.
Sorry if you've already been asked this but do you hold these beliefs post iPadOS?
I do, although maybe clarification is in order.

As a side show, meaning it should not become everything to everybody in every situation, it’s just another sound creation tool and those who push the “iPad musician” envelope have an agenda and/or are trying to seem special in order to stand out in an ever growing crowded scene.

The conundrum: we want better apps, we want them cheep (cheaper than on Mac/desktop). Then we wonder why so many are abandoned or half implemented.
So the apps become more expensive, then we wonder... Wait, why did I want this over my laptop/desktop...The file system is shit on IOS as are many other aspects of file management.

Not liking the culture: let me clarify, I like many of the genius developers, Igor Vasiliev, Kevin schlei, Alessandro Petrolati, Erik Sigth and Jonatan Liljedahl to name a few are creating new paradigms for human/sound interaction. Good stuff.
Begging developers to port over their programs over to iOS so they can be had cheep on under powered devices while enriching the biggest corporation in the world at the same time depleting user choice and control and calling it the future is... telling?... shortsighted?... not the future we want?...

It’s a great electronic instrument that has some very worth while sound sources
but like my grandfather used to say:
DON’T PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET YOU BIG DUMMY.
BC

Battle Cat wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:13 pm
ashh wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:23 pm
Battle Cat wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:49 am as an alternative perspective,

Ive been hearing "its the future" for 10 years now. iOS is not new, nor the future, its a side show at best.

The allure is the price, but that in itself is a conundrum, raise the prices and it stops being so attractive. But I must say, its been a big reason for the drop off of Virtual instrument prices. Why pay $130 for something you can buy for $13? The answer is telling.

I do like ipads but not the culture.
Sorry if you've already been asked this but do you hold these beliefs post iPadOS?
I do, although maybe clarification is in order.

As a side show, meaning it should not become everything to everybody in every situation, it’s just another sound creation tool and those who push the “iPad musician” envelope have an agenda and/or are trying to seem special in order to stand out in an ever growing crowded scene.

The conundrum: we want better apps, we want them cheep (cheaper than on Mac/desktop). Then we wonder why so many are abandoned or half implemented.
So the apps become more expensive, then we wonder... Wait, why did I want this over my laptop/desktop...The file system is shit on IOS as are many other aspects of file management.

Not liking the culture: let me clarify, I like many of the genius developers, Igor Vasiliev, Kevin schlei, Alessandro Petrolati, Erik Sigth and Jonatan Liljedahl to name a few are creating new paradigms for human/sound interaction. Good stuff.
Begging developers to port over their programs over to iOS so they can be had cheep on under powered devices while enriching the biggest corporation in the world at the same time depleting user choice and control and calling it the future is... telling?... shortsighted?... not the future we want?...

It’s a great electronic instrument that has some very worth while sound sources
but like my grandfather used to say:
DON’T PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET YOU BIG DUMMY.
Some truth in it but i personally even would like to see ports of iOS apps to mac/windows. The workflow to create and especially mix a full track is 10 times faster on my notebook but still there are so many great (and yes cheap) apps on iOS which let me rethink it often.
I think anyway macOS and iOS will be one more or less at some point.
Buying from app store has pro and contra compared to buy from 100 different companies where you have to create 100 accounts, just 1-2 licenses and whatever. The fun just play and jam on iPad is great but also has a dark side if you try to connect a lot things together. There are workarounds but it still will evolve.
I´m now at 50% of my favorite tools are on my mac and the other 50% on iOS. So not exactly sure where it goes in 1-2 years.
Of course you´re right and at the end this are all just tools. I also experienced that some mobile musicians are really a bit "aggressive" in terms of the grass is greener here but this happens also vice versa. But then most iOS forums are more friendly with less flame wars and a lot developers are active and discussing. In general it is a great community which often feels more like family then the big bad desktop plug-in world.
Just use what you like and willing to pay for. Have fun.
Still, if Logic comes one day to iPad i would try the switch to 100% mobile :)

don't let influencers sell you on being a sheep. if you want to make a whole album in an ipad you can. i have. they are just trying to sell you presets.

I would love to see Logic on ipad but suspect the "export to Garageband iOS" in Logic would point to it staying a desktop only app.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”