The more I use this, the more I'm REALLY liking it... Plus Feature Requests.

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I first used Ableton Live (back in version 4), I could not get my head around the program. I've grown to like it, a lot. It took me forever to learn the basics, but now I find it an essential part of song production in any home studio.

Same is true for Rapid Composer. I've spent a lot of time over the last week, messing around with it. It is really an amazing piece of software, especially with all the things it can do.

I think version 2.0 will be even better.

I sent Attila several emails, about bug reports or feature requests, and he was very quick to respond to all of them and helped me out. Very professional guy. I am fully interested in buying the full version of RC, but I'm still testing the demo out. Again, so far, I REALLY like it.

Some things we definitely need for RC 2.0--

1. An updated manual that really, REALLY goes deep into every single function (and quirk) of the program. Harmony Navigator's manual is pretty in-depth as well, but confusing. I think Attila can come up with a much better manual, maybe even with user help? I think it begins with going over the basics of music theory... explaining what inversions are, explaining the sound of certain chord types (major - happy, minor - sad, maj7 - dreamy, min7 - jazzy, etc)... going over rhythm and basic counting and what a measure is, etc. Just to cover all users from the absolute beginners to the pros. It helps to be as concise as possible and assuming whoever used the program is coming in blindly. Which is pretty much how all of us came into the demo and such!

2. A redesigned interface/GUI. The program isn't badly designed, but it could be a million times better. I find drop-down menus to be useful in a lot of elements, but sometimes Attila has menu items that either don't make much sense, or the layout is confusing.. too many choices, etc. I think it would be wise to make it look a bit like Ableton Live... with the "browser" on the far left of the program (instead of the middle window), and the options in a Preferences menu... or better yet, being able to put the three windows anywhere you want (putting the left window on the right, etc).

3. The small program glitches such as the window "resizing" (after changing some parameters in the program, sometimes you just can't see the very bottom buttons/functions as the window "moves" or something, then you have to restore and then maximize the window again to get them back). My screen resolution is 1366 x 768. Typical widescreen laptop. The program definitely needs to make better use of the screen real estate (as another forum member mentioned). But it's a small gripe, and one that I think could be easily fixed.

And now, some feature requests:

1. The ability to easily add measures to a composition... and adding by MEASURE instead of by beat. Usually we songwriters think in measures/bars, as opposed to beats. And I'd like a menu item, easily visible, in the composition window (right side, where all the midi piano roll is) that lets us set the measures.

2. "Word wrap" or "book-style" for the composition window. Instead of having to scroll horizontally to see the rest of the composition (especially if it's over 2 bars), I would like to have it wrap, so it reads like a book. So you could see an entire 8-bar phrase, if you have the zoom setting right... without having to scroll.

3. Zoom: we need a zoom in and out on the composition window that isn't just one point of "out" and "in" - we need all the points in between. It's great that you can zoom in on the composition window, but beyond that, I'd like to be able to zoom in at whatever level I want.

4. An option to not autoplay phrases if I select them for copying/pasting/ghosting. Sometimes I just want to select a phrase and copy it to three other bars, but I don't want to hear it as I select it.

5. I'd like the start/stop function to be on the spacebar instead of the enter key. It seems more logical and most DAWs use the spacebar to stop/pause and play. Say, two kick taps on the spacebar would bring you back to the beginning (full stop/rewind)... and one just pauses. The first one plays. Or, we could use the letter "w" as a "rewind to beginning" as used in Sonar, and Reaper.

6. A metronome during phrase recording! Essential (I mentioned this in a separate thread). If you have a midi controller connected, you could easily play a melody or phrase, instead of all the time it takes drawing it in with the mouse. A count-in would be mandatory (at least a 1-bar count-in), and the ability to set tempo independently of the main composition, just to experiment with the "mood" of your phrase (sometimes slight tempo changes make all the difference).

I'll update this thread when I think of more... I've suggested a lot of other things to Attila, which he has already thought of implementing, etc. Definitely excited to see where this all is going. This program is definitely worth your time, especially if you love songwriting and the whole aspect of music theory and how things sound and feel. There's nothing out there quite like Rapid Composer.... and I'm sure it will only get better with version 2.0.

:)

-Chris

Return to “MusicDevelopments”