Congrats on good review in COMPUTER MUSIC

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just read my new COMPUTER MUSIC Magazine today and there was a good review of RapidComposer in there.

Based on that (and it was in that magazine that I first learned about the product about a year ago--it was mentioned briefly in passing by an editor), I've purchased the LE version--I assume the money paid still applies toward purchase of the whole standard software? Is there a time limit on that?

Regarding your pricing--and I'm sure you seen and heard a lot of the comments on that issue here and elsewhere--with this good publicity and with what I would expect is going to be substantial new interest in the product...have you ever actually discussed price with a marketing consultant? I suspect that if the product cost half what it does now (say, $149) you would likely sell FIVE TIMES the units. Get yourself a good strong base of customers and "get us" on the upgrades! :-)

Just my 2 cents...

Anyway, looking forward to playing with the LE version soon.

Really? I am surprised. I know that someone was working on a review for CM, but after sending a copy to him, I never heard of him. I thought he gave up :). I wonder what the outcome of the review is. I am very excited!

>I assume the money paid still applies toward purchase of the whole standard software? Is there a time limit on that?

Yes, you can upgrade to the standard version anytime. The money you spent for the LE version is deducted from the standard version price.

>you would likely sell FIVE TIMES the units

I am sure you are right. That also means five times the support mails which I am not sure we want to handle right now (we are a small company).

Sorry that I could not reply earlier, the first week of May was a hectic one. I just read this message today.

Thank you!
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Yes, they gave you an 8/10, which would have been higher I'm sure (it really WAS a very good full-page review), but referred to the crashes and said they "feel that this great concept hasn't seen its full potential yet".

FOR: Genuinely innovative; super quick; relative editing; non-destructive MIDI editing.

AGAINST: Poor documentation; currently crashes a lot; archaic interface.

You could go a long ways toward answering that critique of "poor documentation" by posting some simple videos on Youtube. Just you putting a song or two together and talking about what you're doing while you do it. If you're uncomfortable with that, find someone else who knows the program and slip them $100 to spend a day posting some examples of their workflow. I'm telling you: That will pay for itself multiple times over in increased sales. (You can always edit out the "crashes"!) ;-)

And you're really worried about selling TOO MANY units because of the extra support you'll have to provide?! All the more reason to check with a business consultant. You'll be able to hire more tech support with the oodles of cash!

I've bought the LE and am scratching my head at the learning curve--I'd love to see some videos. Heck, I'd put them up myself if I knew how to use this program. I'll upgrade when it gets more stable and when there is more help with the learning process. Meanwhile, keep up the good work and good luck!

I just emailed you a scan of the COMPUTER MUSIC review.

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for sending me the review.

I am happy about the review. However I was a bit disappointed when the crashes were mentioned. Is it really so unstable? I am surprised because people did not notify me about crashes on this forum or in e-mail. I know a few problems with the OS X version which are being fixed. But I thought the Windows version was stable.

Thanks,
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote:Hi Jerry,

Thank you for sending me the review.

I am happy about the review. However I was a bit disappointed when the crashes were mentioned. Is it really so unstable? I am surprised because people did not notify me about crashes on this forum or in e-mail. I know a few problems with the OS X version which are being fixed. But I thought the Windows version was stable.

Thanks,
Attila
Windows version of LE has been extremely stable for me, it has not crashed once.

It has crashed both times I've had it open now--generally after I've been clicking a bunch of times in a row quickly for whatever reason.

The screen goes to white-ish with the program showing behind it. I can minimize to the tray below and try to Close it and it stays there. Task Manager can't even get the program to stop. I have to reboot to end the frozen session.

Vista 32.

Do you have SP1 and SP2 installed on Vista?
I know that on XP and Win7 it works reliably but we'll check what goes wrong on Vista. Does the screen go white-ish immediately when you move sliders or scrollbars? If so, I have an idea how to fix it.

Thanks,
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote:
jerrypettit wrote:you would likely sell FIVE TIMES the units.
I am sure you are right. That also means five times the support mails which I am not sure we want to handle right now (we are a small company).
Well this (thread - not the review) is the first that I have heard of this company/software, so I had a look and the software looks good - click on the buy button and saw the price and after the payment processor adds VAT (60USD) and uses their (less favourable) exchange rates it is almost 400 USD!!!!

Quickly closed the page.......... Is this software really worth twice the cost of Logic Pro? (I know that you will think so as it is your software).

There is the LE version which is more affordable for everyone.
And for the summer months (June 1st to August 31st) the price will include VAT. This will soon be indicated on our web page.

Both times the screen went white on me it was from double- or triple-clicking something.

@simonden: I think the LE version is on sale now (?) for only $79. I thought that was reasonable, and there aren't that many features not available. I think it will intrigue you even more.

But until I'm seeing some Youtube videos, it's going onto my back burner.

jerrypettit wrote:@simonden: I think the LE version is on sale now (?) for only $79. I thought that was reasonable, and there aren't that many features not available. I think it will intrigue you even more.
It is showing as $106 for me (with Plimus exchnage rate) plus VAT so even the LE version is $130 for me. I think I will try the demo and if I like it have a look at getting it during the summer 'VAT inclusive' promotion.

musicdevelopments - I fully understand the reason for your pricing model, however if the full version was circa $150 (as suggested by jerrypettit) then I would have probably bought it without even trying/demoing it.

Thanks both.

+1 on the pricing. I tried the LE and it has good features, but with a little patience I can do quite a lot of what it does on my own. The full version looks really interesting, but the current price is a bit much.

The other challenge is that it is not very good for a laptop. I wish there was a way of making the program more friendly for smaller screens. I do a lot of my basic sketching and composing on a laptop, and would love to use your program on it more easily.

Right, using it on laptop on smaller screens is addressed for version 2.0 where the whole user interface will be redesigned and the workflow improved.

Thanks,
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote:Right, using it on laptop on smaller screens is addressed for version 2.0 where the whole user interface will be redesigned and the workflow improved.

Thanks,
Attila
Excellent. I lool forward to trying it out. Thanks for the quick reply.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”