v3 Beta Feedback And Discussion (Bugs, Features, Suggestions)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer RapidComposer LE

I too would like splitting phrases across tracks. Here's my use case, maybe there's a simpler way to handle this.

Say I want to write a four-part string section. I can use the chord track and a chord generator to sketch the harmonic progression, using a generic string patch. Now I want to arrange the parts and edit them in detail. At this point, I would like to "explode" the phrase, so that the highest note goes to one track, the second highest note goes to another track, etc for the remaining two notes. Then I can choose different instruments for those parts.

Is there a way to get that "chord track + chord generator => four separate parts" workflow in RC currently?

Please look for this among the Workspace shortcuts: Image
found it thanks !

padillac wrote:Is there a way to get that "chord track + chord generator => four separate parts" workflow in RC currently?
Yes, I'll show you. Start with an empty track. I added a chord progression already and a few phrases. This works the same way with chords:

With the Piano track highlighted, press + twice to add two more tracks. I renamed them to Track 2 and Track 3:

Press the 3rd icon for the 'group' track and F2 for Note Editing mode. Make sure you select the small <-> arrow icon under the Group Track label:

Now the phrases are shown without the variations but with transposition applied. In this example you want to assign the bottom 2 notes to Track 3, and the note above to Track 2, while playing the highest notes in the original track. So you will select the bottom 2 notes in the phrases:

And click on "Track 3". The notes are moved to Track 3:

Repeat the selection and clicking on Track 3 phrase by phrase. The latter is important because making one big phrase will not work as you expect:

Do the same for the other notes and 'Track 2':

Press F1 to switch to phrase editing:

And deselect the group track. The notes are spread in 3 tracks:

One comment: during making this small tutorial I realized that when the notes are moved to a new track, the transposition of the new phrase is reset. This is fixed, and I will happily send the latest version to anyone who has trouble with this tutorial, until the next update is available.

Thanks,
Attila

cool tip.. I can make this a video, but, everyone would need to have the bug fix..

what is the purpose of the double arrow?

EDIT: also, not sure if this is supposed to happen, but, accidentally stay in note edit and drag a phrase to a track.. I get a single line of notes.. dropped a custom staccato phrase..

Yes, it will be the best if I upload a new beta version so that everyone has the fix. I'll do that tomorrow.
what is the purpose of the double arrow?
The double arrow makes a connection between the selected notes and the track highlighting. It means if you click on a note, the corresponding tracks will be selected. If you click on a track name, all selected notes will move to that track. (It is like the 'chain' icon at the top of the phrase browser, but that is for phrases...)
EDIT: also, not sure if this is supposed to happen, but, accidentally stay in note edit and drag a phrase to a track.. I get a single line of notes.. dropped a custom staccato phrase..
I tried to do that same, but it worked as I expected. The note editing mode is not for dropping phrases. So please don't do that. :)

Thanks!
Attila

cool tip indeed !
waiting for the fix for the testing more :D

In the Composition View I can Phrase Resize > Scale to double length (half tempo) but when I save it as a Phrase it remains the same size/tempo as original. I can't see a Phrase Resize in the Phrase Editor.

Phrase resizing is a non-destructive operation, so the original phrase length is not changed.
This is why there is a distinction between original length and resized length in the phrase inspector.
The quickest way to double the length is resizing (scaling) the phrase, then "Render Phrase With Variations".

Thanks,
Attila

Thanks, just gotta remember that.

any progress on the instrument browser?

Just spent a few hours playing with splitting tracks.. to be honest, Reaper wins that contest..

No, I haven't had a chance to test the VST presets stored in the instrument browser.

Right, splitting a phrase across multiple tracks is not so easy in RC. This is due to the complex internal logic in RapidComposer. I'll see what I can do to simplify it.

I am uploading a new beta version.

RapidComposer v3.5b6 is available.

So that we are on the same page...

3.5Beta6 changes:
  • Fixed: the right transposition is used when selected notes are moved to a new track (in the group track)
  • Fixed: entering chord names like 11 or 13 did not work
  • [Windows] Fixed: arrow cursor always restored after file panel closes
  • Stability fixes and improvements

awesome.. on the beta..

now, if you can, try and find the crash bug that happens when you click to make RC full screen while stuff is loading, right after you click to start the program. Just what i do, I click stuff.. lol

Funny, I managed to reproduce this once. I know where and why it crashed. After adding the fix it did not crash anymore, however when I removed the fix, it also did not crash. So I hope it will work (in the next beta only).
BTW this was a serious bug, even though you were probably the only one who found it. So a big 'thank you' for reporting it! :clap:
Thanks!
Attila

Just for splitting tracks, it may require the ability to hide tracks. I am using a work flow that I use to create an orchestration from a melody line. Meaning, giving a piano melody, I transfer certain notes to certain instruments, etc. So, duplicating a track several times, but, hiding a copy, just in case I need it. From that I can adjust for that instruments range, etc. So, I would not want to be able to see a copy during that process..

The advantage so far using RC, is the ability to pick what notes I want to go where. I could kind of do that with Reaper, but, not really. It requires splitting every note to it's own track, then dragging what I want back to re-build sections.

I am just trying to weigh the options here, i.e., what is truly the faster work flow.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”