v3 Beta Feedback And Discussion (Bugs, Features, Suggestions)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer RapidComposer LE

And add drag and drop midi files and browser phrases to the Melodic Editor for subsequent mutations.
(or through the clipboard)

Holly! :love:

did anyone tried Melody Editor in the Idea Tool with Custom Order / Manual Formulas?
seems doesn't obey to the formulas here
for example
A16B16 A16C16 creates this :
2samee.jpg
Global Randomize and Track randomize makes only a slight variations instead of a total randomization
am i expecting something wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'd be interested to read a high-level explanation or compare/contrast between the Phrase Editor and the Melody Editor.

Is it the ultimate plan for the new Melody Editor to replace the Phrase Editor?

If not, when would we use one or the other? (Are melodies and phrases different animals?)

I would just call the Melodic Editor the Melodic Creator! )

and yet ... after pressing, the Rest / Mute buttons in all sections disappear and are not restored
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sj1 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:11 am I'd be interested to read a high-level explanation or compare/contrast between the Phrase Editor and the Melody Editor.

Is it the ultimate plan for the new Melody Editor to replace the Phrase Editor?

If not, when would we use one or the other? (Are melodies and phrases different animals?)
I'll be doing an in depth video sometime explaining it in detail, but, I can't because of the bugs. It's kind of important to have the basic stuff working bug free, then add on more functionality later..

It won't be replacing the phrase editor, even though basically they are the same thing by a different name. (sort of) You have to view the concept from a theoretical approach, I suppose. A phrase could be part a melody, but, in the context RC, being separated like this gives it better organization. Anyways, that is how I look at it...

In the phrase editor, you can edit all the relevant midi as a whole, like adding key switching, velocity, etc.. But, you can not generate a pattern. In fact, once you pass the edit back to composition, you lose what ever generator it was and just becomes a set of midi notes.

The Melody Editor has the ability to generate a pattern, but, lacks the ability to edit notes, such as key switches, other CC info etc. It can't and shouldn't by logical sense, because that is a lot of overhead to keep track of for the program. Once you pass the edit back to the composition, it stays as "melody editor generator". (If you look at the phrase browser, you have a new generator, in the generator section)

So, you should come up with a work flow, such generating a melody and harmonies, then rendering your melody for further editing.

Thanks for the helpful commentary BluGenes!

yellukhan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:31 am Holly! :love:

did anyone tried Melody Editor in the Idea Tool with Custom Order / Manual Formulas?
seems doesn't obey to the formulas here
for example
A16B16 A16C16 creates this :

Global Randomize and Track randomize makes only a slight variations instead of a total randomization
am i expecting something wrong?
refresh me on formulas, playing with that in the editor..

Thank you, lulukom for the crash reports!
I'll think about opening the rhythm browser there, which is a good idea! :tu:
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

sj1 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:33 pm Is it possible to configure melody generation in RC so that it creates jazzy 8th note melodies? (ala the Soloist in Band-in-a-Box)
Hi sj1,

If you turn up 'Density' to 100% that will create a note on every 1/8. Is this what you meant? Any help is appreciated about this as I am not so knowledgeable about jazzy 8th note melodies. :oops:

Thanks,
Attila

I'll think about opening the rhythm browser there, which is a good idea!
I am very glad that you noted this!)
I understand that this is a generator and my previous sentences do not always fit into this category, but we always want the impossible!)))

sj1 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:33 pm Is it possible to configure melody generation in RC so that it creates jazzy 8th note melodies? (ala the Soloist in Band-in-a-Box)
Band in a Box uses pre-recorded styles (aka real tracks), not generated.. They just record a ton of them. To program a function to do this would involve using AI and a lot settings..

Yea, Band in a Box is what got me involved with midi. Once I figured out what I couldn't do, I pretty much stopped using it..

Probably the easiest way to achieve what you want would be record or manually write what you wanted and save the midi.. Then you would need to wait for the "convert to Melody Editor" function to be written by Attila.. ;)

Re: BIAB, the Soloist is a MIDI generation function, whereas RealTracks are audio recordings along with technology to transpose them. If I recall correctly, the Soloist far predates RealTracks, but as to how it does it, you might be right about having a huge library of repurposable phrases "in the can".

In any case, it's not my goal here to go deep into BIAB technology, of which I am just a sometime user and certainly no expert. I'm only intending to note that the challenge of generating "jazzy" melodies over user defined chord changes has been taken on in the past, and with (to my ear) good results.

Probably worth mentioning in re: here is that Oliver Gannon (Peter's brother) is an accomplished and well-known Canadian jazz player. He and his buddies I'm sure have had alot of input into making BIAB competent at jazz!

musicdevelopments wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:29 pm If you turn up 'Density' to 100% that will create a note on every 1/8. Is this what you meant? Any help is appreciated about this as I am not so knowledgeable about jazzy 8th note melodies. :oops:
I will give that a try. Thanks!

sj1 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:43 pm Do we have a setting to dial up or down the time before hover help appears?

(I finally saw the hover help for Rest/Hold after not having seen it appear all morning!)
Yes, you will find that under Settings / Miscellaneous / Help / Popup Help Delay.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”