v3 Beta Feedback And Discussion (Bugs, Features, Suggestions)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer RapidComposer LE

arg.. there IS a bug... try this... make tempo changes, play through, then remove the tempo changes.. now go back and change the scale at the same spot.. When you play it, it also has the removed tempo changes..

edit: actually, it only visually removes the tempo changes regardless of scale change..

also, before you upload a new version, please make sure the initial size of the vst is smaller, it launches way to big.. I have to tweak windows by hiding the task bar to see it all.. even when it is detached from the fx window in Reaper..

When I right-click on the spot in the master track where I want to make tempo changes, then the menu always opens at the beginning of the master track (first tempo setting)

Thanks, yellukhan! Today I tested opening/closing the window and fixed some bugs.

The root of the problems is that most DAWs stupidly destroy the window and delete all UI elements in the window when you close it, even if you want to re-open it later. If you have threads that update certain parts of the UI (e.g. timeline) this is a big pain.
Other clever programs, like RapidComposer ;) :oops: just hide the plug-in window, so the plug-in does not have to rebuild everything when the user re-opens the window...

Thanks,
Attila

yellukhan wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:00 pm but in some cases like:
-stop Reaper
-open RC GUI and close it then press to play in Reaper
-RC doesn't work/no sound

after trying this steps i get Reaper crash
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

You are right! This was an ugly bug. The tempo track has to be recalculated.
Thanks, BluGenes! :tu:
Attila
BluGenes wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:33 am arg.. there IS a bug... try this... make tempo changes, play through, then remove the tempo changes.. now go back and change the scale at the same spot.. When you play it, it also has the removed tempo changes..

edit: actually, it only visually removes the tempo changes regardless of scale change..

Hi lulukom,

do you have one long chord? You know, the menu opens where the chord starts. You can add tempo/scale/signature change at chord boundaries, so sometimes you have to split a chord (double-click or even better: Alt-click)

Thanks,
Attila

lulukom wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:51 am When I right-click on the spot in the master track where I want to make tempo changes, then the menu always opens at the beginning of the master track (first tempo setting)

You are certainly right, Attila!
But I always thought that no matter what, the tempo value, for example, is set where the cursor is located (which would be more correct in my opinion), but not a chord!

musicdevelopments wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:27 am it is important to keep in mind that
1. scales (like tempo and signature) are inherited from higher structural levels (composition > parts > lines > chords).
2. you can change the scale for the composition, parts, lines and for the smallest unit, chord boxes.

This means if you use a new scale under a chord, the scale will automatically change back to the old scale after the chord.
That is you are overriding the scale for the duration of a chord but the scale is restored at the beginning of the next chord. This is the explanation that you cannot 'remove' the scale change for the next chord. However you can insert another scale change.

I know it sounds complicated and not logical, and you were not the only user who complained about it (rightfully), but this is how the inheritance works in RC. Most people think linearly, like in a DAW you insert a tempo change, which remains active for the rest of the timeline until another tempo change is inserted. Maybe I should simulate this behavior for a better user experience?
Hi Attila,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I track what you describe about inheritance, and that makes perfect sense, it's very logical indeed IMO.

I think the source of confusion (at least for me) has to do with what is being represented in the UI, and with perhaps inconsistent or incomplete representation of the source of things or the result of user actions.

I take it that the display along the bottom of the Master Track is supposed to represent the current "summary" status, IOW the final result of all the inheritance, showing a new situation at every point of summary change. Yes?

If so, I think redundancy may be the enemy of understanding rather than an aid to it.

RC - Master Track with Scale Changes 01.jpg

For example, in the above, offhand I'm not seeing the upside in repeating declarations of D Harmonic Minor. What is actually happening there? Is that the scale of the new Part being re-declared in every case, even when there is no change? Is that happening only for Parts, and not for other levels in the hierarchy?

Also, if our Master Track started with a MIDI file import, the UI we get when we left or right click in that area, in terms of adding or removing a scale, continues to say "(as defined in <ImportedFile.MID> even after the user makes a subsequent change.

RC - Subsequent Change 01.jpg

Perhaps "Originally defined in <ImportedFile.MID>" would be better on the second line (or absent when not applicable) with the current object in question always alone on the first line in the same format in every case.

Also, perhaps 'New Scale/Tempo/Signature' could also say "for Chord", "for Part" etc. (and likewise for Removal).

RC- Click to Insert New Scale 01.jpg
RC- Remove Scale 01.jpg

Eventually it is likely that I or anyone would internalize what is or isn't being shown or duplicated and from that point interaction would hopefully become automatic. Prior to that point though (and I'll note also that "back-sliding" can happen!) explicit information in the UI itself is very helpful to have.

Thanks for considering these comments (and all our comments!).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Сlick on the master track - crash !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi everyone, I'm back ;)

Shameless feature request: I think the Intellijel Metropolis sequencer matches the generative spirit of Rapidcomposer very well. Its functionality could be reproduced with several sliders in a Generator tab. Might be an interesting new sound?

Hi,

I'm noticing that when I attempt to assign a new keyboard shortcut I am often able to do the assignment with no problem being reported

RC - Split Phrase S 01.jpg

but then when I go to use it, I get an error message

RC - Shortcut Already Exists.jpg

Questions:

1. What is a "focus group" in this context?

2. Is there any way to see what keys are already assigned to a focus group?

Hi,

Could someone kindly tell me how to make a chord played in via the MIDI keyboard "take" in RC?

RC - Enter Chords from MIDI Kbd 01.jpg

RC is receiving the chords and I can see them changing (per display shown above), but what do I do to say "Yup, that one. NEXT"?

sj1 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:05 pm Hi,

Could someone kindly tell me how to make a chord played in via the MIDI keyboard "take" in RC?

RC is receiving the chords and I can see them changing (per display shown above), but what do I do to say "Yup, that one. NEXT"?
just play the next chord, long as that jump to is set..

OK, thanks Two different things seem to be going on here with what I'm attempting and since neither of them is what I expected I'm going to have to sort it out with some further experimentation.

i forgot, be sure midi keyboard is selected in the settings under midi. The keyboard has to on first so RC will see it. If you turn off your KB, and later launch RC, RC forgets it and needs to be selected again.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”