v3 Beta Feedback And Discussion (Bugs, Features, Suggestions)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer RapidComposer LE

Noticed that "W" is also assigned in the Melody Editor for making the work space zoom out. So, that could be the conflict people are experiencing.

EDIT: actually "W" duplicates the melody..
Last edited by BluGenes on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

I confirm this . I removed the assigned command W in the Melody editor and W works well for opening / closing the inspector!

Yes, something is wrong with shortcut W , crash ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FWIW, based on the above, I unset the 'W' for the Melody Editor, but I still observe no action via the 'W' for closing Inspectors. (Win 10 standalone)

did you you restart RC? Anytime you make a change in settings, you should restart. Also, make sure the "W" for the browsers is set blue to global..

Yes, restarted. Yes, 'W' set to Global.

Just thought I’d throw in my two cents.

At about the 5:40 mark, you demonstrate the W key where you have a Track, Timeline, and Master Track remembering their locations. I verified that it works the way you demonstrate.

However, there is confusion related to the W Keyboard Shortcut “Hide/Show All Browser And Inspector Windows”. The database icon at the top right of RC, when hovered over shows “Show browsers…” (Phrases, Rhythms, Etc.). Should the W key also cause the browsers to hide or show in sync with the Inspector Windows or should it have its own keyboard shortcut? Currently, I have to click that icon to hide or show the browsers.

In further testing, it seems like the W key can loose track. If you have 3 inspectors open and manually close one or two of them and press W and change focus to one of the inspectors, the W key seems to stop functioning. Just seems like inconsistent functionality. Sometimes it comes back and sometimes if you open another inspector then W looses track. Clicking on another application or the RC Title bar of the window and then back onto RC to give it focus seems to get the W to work then.

:dog: Very good point, I did not realize that!
BluGenes wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:26 am Noticed that "W" is also assigned in the Melody Editor for making the work space zoom out. So, that could be the conflict people are experiencing.

EDIT: actually "W" duplicates the melody..

AxBC wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:07 pm
However, there is confusion related to the W Keyboard Shortcut “Hide/Show All Browser And Inspector Windows”. The database icon at the top right of RC, when hovered over shows “Show browsers…” (Phrases, Rhythms, Etc.). Should the W key also cause the browsers to hide or show in sync with the Inspector Windows or should it have its own keyboard shortcut? Currently, I have to click that icon to hide or show the browsers.

I think he hasn't updated that part of the settings page to reflect the new concept of what is going on. (since they used to float, like the dialogs for the master track, tracks, and phrases) So that functionality changed.

The naming is/can be confusing too. The data base ICON that you click, I think, should be considered the "Browsers", because your are "browsing" a data base collection of phrases, rhythms, etc.

When you right click the tracks, timeline, a phrase, etc., in programming parlay, those are by definition are "dialogs". He also calls them "inspectors". So, it should be called one or the other, but, not both. (my opinion) It's the settings page that is causing this naming confusion, because it hasn't been updated yet..
AxBC wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:14 pm In further testing, it seems like the W key can loose track. If you have 3 inspectors open and manually close one or two of them and press W and change focus to one of the inspectors, the W key seems to stop functioning. Just seems like inconsistent functionality. Sometimes it comes back and sometimes if you open another inspector then W looses track. Clicking on another application or the RC Title bar of the window and then back onto RC to give it focus seems to get the W to work then.
I just tried to reproduce this, using your examples, but, for what ever reason, mine works. I'm not saying you are wrong, just, I couldn't get it to fail. I opened three, then closed one at a time, pressing "W" in between each and even choosing a function from each of the dialogs.. (to give focus).

I am glad everyone is working on this, and just a reminder to everyone, if at all possible, try and reproduce a bug if one is reported, just like this. If it can be reproduced, then that makes it worth Attila's time to spend on fixing it. If it can't, maybe it was operator error, or something else. (like virus protection, other things running in the back ground, etc.)

Good observation! At the moment I changed the shortcut to “Hide/Show All Inspector Windows”.

I don't understand the mystery around the 'W' shortcut (other than having defined also in the Melody Editor). What it does is
- checking if any inspectors are open,
- if so, it puts them into a list and closes each of them,
- if not, it uses the stored list of inspectors and opens them.
It is as simple as that. There is a small chance that something goes wrong, because recently a few inspectors became simple menus (transport inspector, metronome inspectors, file import/export). I added a few fixes today, so hopefully it will be more reliable in the next update.

Thanks for all the help and feedback! :tu:
Attila
AxBC wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:07 pm However, there is confusion related to the W Keyboard Shortcut “Hide/Show All Browser And Inspector Windows”. The database icon at the top right of RC, when hovered over shows “Show browsers…” (Phrases, Rhythms, Etc.). Should the W key also cause the browsers to hide or show in sync with the Inspector Windows or should it have its own keyboard shortcut? Currently, I have to click that icon to hide or show the browsers.

Also, to really help debugging the beta, it just dawned on me that maybe some users leave their computers on all the time. Which in itself, isn't a problem. However, for what ever ever reason, when a programs acts funny, crashes, etc., it is possible for that program to still be in memory, even partially. When the program is restarted, it reallocates new memory, with the old portion of itself still there..etc.,

So just out of precaution, I would reboot before running RC again. Just be aware too, there are two types of reboots, a "warm" boot, and a "cold" boot. A warm boot is when you just reboot, a cold boot is when you turn your computer off completely before restarting. With a warm boot, it is possible programs don't get completely flushed..

When I first tried RapidComposer years ago it was difficult to understand.
I have said this before and I'll say it again, thanks to the constant open beta development with user input it's come along so good with sooooo many features !
You simply don't get that in other forums, things may get implemented after 10 years of requests.
Things are on a higher and friendly level here.
Thanks to BluGenes also for all the videos.

I got w to work by first removing it from Medody shortcuts -

What I was doing wrong was pressing w whilst having the inspector window in focus.

When pressing w with the main window in focus, it worked as expected 8) :hyper:

You are right, only inspector don't want to remember the last opening location).
I have so on Mac Os.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”