Need tips on using Percussion

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Was looking for tips on using percussion. Stuff like setting up phrases, generating orchestral style hits, etc. What is the best way to approach this? Normally, in my DAW, I would just code it into the piano roll. But, if I can automate it, that would be even better.

Being new to this software, I am not sure if I already have stuff to work with. I understand the concept of applying rhythms and all too. I have the phrases from here by yellukhan and the extra content installed.

I am guessing, if there aren't any examples available, I would use the phrase editor to create my own?

so, any videos or ideas welcomed!

Actually, I posted that before I even tried. After playing around, I figured out how it works. All I need was to use the generic generator and all. So I consider it solved..

Editing in a percussion track is more or less the same as editing in a non-percussion track.

As a special feature you can 'draw' a rhythm pattern using Ctrl+horizontal drag or Alt+horizontal drag. The former inserts a 'Subdivision' rhythm generator, the latter adds 'Probabilistic Rhythm', both are very usable for percussion. You can right click on them to edit rhythm options.

It is a good idea to join rhythm patterns (phrases). You can assign a keyboard shortcut for that to work very quickly. This way creating complex rhythm patterns consisting of several percussion instruments (e.g. bass drum+snare+hi-hat) is possible. Save the pattern in the phrase browser to use it later.

In 'note editing mode' you can freely adjust individual notes.
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Well now, lol.. that surprised me when I tried that suggestion. Very cool feature. Thanks!

Ok, what would prevent the shortcut '\' from working? I can't split phrases... is it a setting?

Please set a different shortcut for splitting phrases (Settings / Keyboard Shortcuts).
I seem to remember that a few people had issues with the '\' on OS X in the past, but I don't know/remember why.
It works on my Apple keyboard which I am using for Windows too.
Please note that the phrase that you want to split must be highlighted.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Thanks..

So, for people that did not read my post in bug reports, this is how to fix phrase splitting till you get the update...

If you want to use the same key that is assigned, i.e., the "\" key, just assign it again is settings. It will display a number instead of the key symbol. The number is the correct bind for that key, [220].

Thanks Atilla!

Return to “MusicDevelopments”