Chord Generator Confusion

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am having trouble getting the chord generator to do what I expect it to do. I may have some wrong expectations.

(1) Is it correct to expect that, when you drag a chord generator onto a bar, should the notes played be shown correctly on the timeline in all cases? (It seems to me with certain chord generators I am creating, the notes showed are not what is displayed. This may be related to #2 below).

(2) Also, can someone explain to me whether it is "good form" or "a bad idea" to develop multi-bar chord generators with multiple chords in them. For example, a two bar chord generator meant to accomodate a IIm7 in the first bar, and a V7 in the second bar. There is a certain voicing I would like to have as to how these chords should fit together. But this doesn't seem to work, to plan for two different chords inside one chord generator! Should I just stick to chord generators for a single chord, or am I doing something wrong?

Let's start with this. Maybe I will figure out the rest from these answers.

Tiger

Hi Tiger,

I never recommended working with long (>1 bar) phrases. It is so much easier to arrange the required voicing by transposing the phrase. Note that it is possible to work with long phrases, but then you need to invert the chords on the master track, which is less convenient.
For long phrases using the 'Lock to Scale' option is very useful. It will automatically transpose the notes for voice leading.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

tigerintheboat wrote:I am having trouble getting the chord generator to do what I expect it to do. I may have some wrong expectations.

(1) Is it correct to expect that, when you drag a chord generator onto a bar, should the notes played be shown correctly on the timeline in all cases? (It seems to me with certain chord generators I am creating, the notes showed are not what is displayed. This may be related to #2 below).

(2) Also, can someone explain to me whether it is "good form" or "a bad idea" to develop multi-bar chord generators with multiple chords in them. For example, a two bar chord generator meant to accomodate a IIm7 in the first bar, and a V7 in the second bar. There is a certain voicing I would like to have as to how these chords should fit together. But this doesn't seem to work, to plan for two different chords inside one chord generator! Should I just stick to chord generators for a single chord, or am I doing something wrong?

Let's start with this. Maybe I will figure out the rest from these answers.

Tiger
What i understand is,
you tried the Voicing presets (also via manual edit the Voicing) and you can't find the result you want..
if so, you are trying to create Voicing "arrangement" not the one Voicing for all chords ..
so in your example one voicing for the IIm7 and second Voicing for the V7
if my assumptions correct:
-use multiple chord generators (for every chords)
-better to use "Phrase" Voicing Presets/Editor instead of Track Voicing/Editor ..
so you can select & edit different Voicing(s) for the chords till you get the result you want.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”