Importing Midi Drum Patterns

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
tigerintheboat
KVRist
81 posts since 21 Nov, 2016

Post Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:24 pm

I have a collection of Midi drum patterns in different styles...how do I import then and get them available as phrases?

Thanks for any help.

Tiger

yellukhan
KVRian
1310 posts since 10 Mar, 2004

Re: Importing Midi Drum Patterns

Post Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:39 pm

BluGenes
KVRist
308 posts since 15 May, 2017

Post Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:49 pm

by custom phrase directory, he means the RC folder .. i.e., C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\RapidComposerV3\CustomPhrases for windows... (in the documents directory on a PC)

tigerintheboat
KVRist

Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:28 am

Thanks for the help.

However, I have a mystery. I put about 80 Midi files (.MID extension, all work in my DAW, and in EZ Drummer) in the directory and only about 7 of them got imported.

After spending a little time on this, I think the problem is Type 0 vs Type 1 vs Type 2 Midi Files. You all probably know about this, but just in case:

"There are different types of MIDI files; the most common are type 0, where all information is contained in a single multi-channel track; and type 1, which puts each channel of MIDI data on its own track. Type 2 contains multiple patterns which are arranged as a song."

Can you confirm which pattern you import? The ones that didn't import into RC...when I drag them into my DAW, they take two tracks...the first track is blank, and then the drum pattern is on the second track.

And once I know which type you import, then do you know of a way to change them from one type to another, or how to change them so they can be imported?

Thanks for any help with this.

The ones that were imported were larger patterns I saved from EZDrummer, so I can probably go through that same process (add them to a timeline, and then resave the pattern), but it would be time-consuming and tedious.

Tiger

yellukhan
KVRian
1310 posts since 10 Mar, 2004

Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:58 am

i don't know how to in other DAWs but in Reaper i would open that midi files
(drag all them at once to Reaper time line & select "Separate Tracks" in the import dialog box to have them in separate tracks
and remove the empty ones (+ also you can rename easily via SWS rename helpers)
then open Reaper Project Bay, click to Media Items tab, select all there and (PC) while pressing to right ALT in your keyboard drag them to desired folder.. let the Reaper finish the task then you can import them to RC.

tigerintheboat
KVRist

Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:23 pm

I am no longer sure this is a Midi Type Pattern.

I found something that would tell me the type of Midi file.

The ones that converted are Type 0, with 1 Track (multiple channels). But the ones that don't convert are the same!

I have sent some samples via email to Attila.

Thanks for any help with this.

Tiger

musicdevelopments
KVRAF
2788 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:03 am

Although the release notes don't mention that, batch converting percussion MIDI files was improved and should work in v3.43.
Previously the first non-percussion track was converted to a .rcPHRS file.
The only thing that disturbs me that you have to reset transposition when you add them to a track, because the phrases move up and down as you drag them.
Thanks for sending me sample files.

Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Music Prototyping And Automated Composition Solutions

Return to “MusicDevelopments”