Drums phrase moving with chord change. Not wanted.

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
uncle808us
KVRist
49 posts since 25 Aug, 2013 from Annapolis Md USA

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:26 pm

I have my drum phrase and filled my 8 bars but now if I change the chord the drum phrase instruments change. I can not figure out how to stop this I don't want the drums to change but only the guitar phrase.
I did a search and found this:
Re: Drums
You need to change the phrase mode of your specific drum phrase to Notes (Phrase Transpose -- Notes)... so the drums don't transpose when you change the chord on that bar. Or, in the Phrase Editor, highlight all your notes and right-click, and choose "Convert To Absolute Notes" before saving the Phrase.

How do I do this so the drums do not change(transpose). Is there a setting to prevent the drums from moving when I change the chords? Help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacBook Pro OSX El Capitan Ver 10.11.6
Logic Pro,Roland A-30 controller,Lots of Music apps DAW's and plug-ins.

musicdevelopments
KVRAF
2897 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Re: Drums phrase moving with chord change. Not wanted.

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:11 am

If you use any kind of chord or scale relative notes in your drum phrase, that will have side effects, like the notes will change when the scale or chord changes.
When you add a phrase to a percussion track, that won't be converted to absolute notes automatically.

So all drum phrases (and what the Percussion Generator creates in the beta) have absolute notes only. You can still transpose them by semitones, but at transposition 0 you should have the original drum note.

If you happen to have a drum phrase that changes for chords, you can convert it to absolute notes by selecting the phrase and clicking on "Convert To Absolute Notes":

Alternatively you can open the phrase in the phrase editor, select all notes and click on Absolute in the note inspector. The same happens when you set the note mapping to Absolute in the top menu (with the notes selected). If you have "Color Notes By Note Kind" you will see the change in color: absolute notes are orange colored.

For absolute notes you can even "Lock Note" in the phrase editor to prevent any kind of transposition.

Thanks,
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Music Prototyping And Automated Composition Solutions

uncle808us
KVRist
49 posts since 25 Aug, 2013 from Annapolis Md USA

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:54 am

musicdevelopments wrote:If you use any kind of chord or scale relative notes in your drum phrase, that will have side effects, like the notes will change when the scale or chord changes.
When you add a phrase to a percussion track, that won't be converted to absolute notes automatically.

So all drum phrases (and what the Percussion Generator creates in the beta) have absolute notes only. You can still transpose them by semitones, but at transposition 0 you should have the original drum note.

If you happen to have a drum phrase that changes for chords, you can convert it to absolute notes by selecting the phrase and clicking on "Convert To Absolute Notes":

Alternatively you can open the phrase in the phrase editor, select all notes and click on Absolute in the note inspector. The same happens when you set the note mapping to Absolute in the top menu (with the notes selected). If you have "Color Notes By Note Kind" you will see the change in color: absolute notes are orange colored.

For absolute notes you can even "Lock Note" in the phrase editor to prevent any kind of transposition.
Where do you do that?

Thanks,
Attila
Now I got the drums to not move but I have added a Bass (Phrase) but when I copy paste it. It does not transpose to the chords. Man am I confused. How do I get it to automatically transpose to the chords?
I had to use note edit and re-write the phrase. (This is not rapid :) )
MacBook Pro OSX El Capitan Ver 10.11.6
Logic Pro,Roland A-30 controller,Lots of Music apps DAW's and plug-ins.

musicdevelopments
KVRAF
2897 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:23 am

uncle808us wrote:
musicdevelopments wrote: For absolute notes you can even "Lock Note" in the phrase editor to prevent any kind of transposition.
Where do you do that?
I forgot that this was introduced in v3.5b1 so the last stable version does not have it.
"Lock Note" is also in the Note Inspector, and visible only for 'absolute' notes.
uncle808us wrote:Now I got the drums to not move but I have added a Bass (Phrase) but when I copy paste it. It does not transpose to the chords. Man am I confused. How do I get it to automatically transpose to the chords?
I had to use note edit and re-write the phrase. (This is not rapid :) )
Well, that should always move with the chords. The bass generator uses bass notes only. If you move the bass phrase around, it should change. There is no excuse. If you color the notes by 'note kind + accent', bass notes should be red:

http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Music Prototyping And Automated Composition Solutions

Return to “MusicDevelopments”