Any plan for GUI scaling?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
GreyLion
KVRAF
2939 posts since 21 May, 2004 from Deep in the Heart of Texas

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:37 am

From what I can tell, RapidComposer is an awesome program. I'd love to buy it immediately, especially with your current sale. But...

I tried the demo on my 43" 4K monitor and the GUI is too small for me to use it, even though I've scaled up the Windows display to 175%. Increasing font size merely makes it so the fonts get cut off.

Do you have any immediate plans to scale? You don't necessarily have to go for vector graphics, just create GUI settings that offer enlargement up to about 200% in 20% increments, such as those offered by Blue Cat and Papen.

This isn't even about future-proofing your product. The future is already here. Adoption rates for 4K 4:4:4 chroma monitors is climbing rapidly as the price bottom for them drops out. 1080P/HD is dying tech. By next year, you'll be losing a significant number of sales because of this issue.

musicdevelopments
KVRAF
2795 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Re: Any plan for GUI scaling?

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:12 am

The user interface is font-sensitive and the automatic layout will ensure that it should work perfectly with bigger font sizes. Did you try these settings (Settings / User Interface tab):

I can further increase the font size if needed.
Everything looks good to me with the biggest font size. The transport buttons could be bigger, and the icons do not resize. Right-click to view this image in original size:

The future is vector graphics indeed, and I have all the rendering methods (and many icons) ready for inserting into RapidComposer. However I did not plan this until v4.0.
Will you send me a screenshot about how the program looks like on a 4K monitor (info at musicdevelopments dot com)?

Thanks,
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Music Prototyping And Automated Composition Solutions

GreyLion
KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:28 am

Hmm... I'll download the latest demo version and see what I get. The last version I tried was about a month ago, and the GUI did not respond by enlarging. I'll send you a screenshot within a day or so, if the issue persists. If it doesn't, I'll post back here, retract my statement above, and buy RapidComposer. :)

GreyLion
KVRAF

Post Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:24 pm

Okay, I've been fooling around with Rapid Composer some more over the past few days. I had already had the font size changed to 'Biggest', and it made some things readable, though the text in the menus and Tooltips continue to be small. I think I can deal with that.

I'll probably buy it, but I can't find a way to do a vertical zoom in the workspace, only a horizontal one, using the magnifier icon (which is pretty small...). Is there something I'm missing, or something that you can implement easily?

Incidentally, RC so far seems to work fine at importing MIDI drum files and working as a VST in the latest version of Reaper. Yay!!!

musicdevelopments
KVRAF
2795 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:14 am

There are several methods for horizontal zooming, better than using the slider. I'll explain vertical zooming below.

Horizontal zooming:
- click and hold on the timeline ruler (not where the numbers are but below), then drag horizontally
- Ctrl-mousewheel over the timeline
- Ctrl+horizontal dragging over the timeline

Vertical zooming of tracks:
- Ctrl+vertical dragging in the track header
- in the track inspector there are some useful options:

- there are (unassigned) keyboard shortcuts for the same with different wording:

You can work very quickly if you can zoom in the track you want to work in, with a single key-press.

Thanks,
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Music Prototyping And Automated Composition Solutions

Return to “MusicDevelopments”