[fixed] Slight MIDI delay (VST)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm running the latest Rapid Composer x64 as VSTi in Studio One 3.5.6 under Windows 10. Unfortunately I get some latency that I don't know what to do about. Any clues?

Recording the output from Rapid Composer into a S1 MIDI track also reveals visually that there is quite a bit of latency indeed. It seems a bit unusual that latency could be a problem with software MIDI generators, but maybe I missed some setting?

I'm a long time owner being eager to start using RC more seriously :)
Last edited by joule on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This is indeed strange. This is the first time latency is reported when using the VST plug-in.

The way VST works ensures that there are no such delays.
The way it works: Studio One requests for MIDI events from a sample position for one audio buffer duration (for the audio buffer to be played next). The plug-in provides the MIDI events, e.g. a Note On at position 96000, then it is up to Studio One to forward this event to a virtual instrument.

There should not be delays but if there are, the delays are often in connection with your audio buffer size.
If you turn down the audio buffer size as low as you can, is there a change?
How could I check or reproduce this latency? What is your audio buffer size? Which sampling rate do you use?
If all fails and I am unable to reproduce this, I can send you a plug-in that does logging.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

musicdevelopments wrote:If you turn down the audio buffer size as low as you can, is there a change?
I tried all the sizes in S1 now without success. I also tried both native ASIO, ASIO4ALL and "Windows Audio" with various buffer sizes.

(I would guess that the MIDI latency is about 30-40ms). I'm sending my e-mail in PM. Thanks a lot for helping!

That is too much :(
Just to make sure: you don't use the standalone version connected to Studio One using a virtual MIDI cable?

musicdevelopments wrote:That is too much :(
Just to make sure: you don't use the standalone version connected to Studio One using a virtual MIDI cable?
No, it's the VSTi version (x64 v3.45) being loaded - using "MIDI: VST Output" ch:1.

Now I am really curious. This time is much longer than the audio buffer size.
Did you make a recording inside S1? So I should just record the output of the RC track to see the latency? I am asking because I am not an experienced S1 user.

musicdevelopments wrote:Now I am really curious. This time is much longer than the audio buffer size.
Did you make a recording inside S1? So I should just record the output of the RC track to see the latency? I am asking because I am not an experienced S1 user.
Yes, I recorded the RC output to a normal midi track in S1 (the same way you could catch the MIDI data from any VSTi arpeggiator) to see the latency. And the same latency can be heard when the normal sync playback is running.

I did try it in another host now (Renoise) which seems to be perfectly in sync without latency.

EDIT: Now it's working in Studio One suddenly! I don't know what happen. There is only very minimal latency now, that can be seen if i zoom in very much. I get the feeling that my soundcard(s) driver(s) are confusing the matter, especially when switching back and forward between 44khz and 48khz due to various apps. Perhaps starting Renoise once set it all straight for now!

Very interesting! I am happy that you figured this out!
Thanks!
Attila

Return to “MusicDevelopments”