Super simple step by step tutorial on recording phrase in C (or in X) and dropping it into timeline?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey! I'm trying out RC now, and I want it to do one thing only - Record custom phrase and drop it into chord progression. I come from Yamaha QY background, and I want to continue this path of recording my custom "style" and playing with chords untill I have something interesting.

I'm able to record something in phrase ediitor, but it does not fit chords in timeline (WHY?).

Hi Ojd,

There are two different ways. You can record a phrase in the Phrase Editor as you did. The recorded notes are 'absolute' MIDI notes which you need to convert to chord-relative form. If what you played matches the Chord setting at the top, then you just need to select all recorded notes (Ctrl-A) and select "Chord Notes [+scale steps]" in the note mapping menu. You are done. You can save the phrase or add it to clipboard, and paste it, and use it with any chords.
If you recorded a phrase based on a different chord, no problem, you can adjust the chord in the 'Chord' menu, and do the conversion.

The other way is recording directly in a track. You don't have to set anything before recording, just record your phrase. Then right-click on the recorded phrase, and look for "Convert To Relative Form" in the phrase inspector (among the actions).
You must select "Chord Notes [+Scale Steps]" as the Mapping, and check "Replace Master Track Chords". Then you can click on "Convert To Relative Form", and you have the final phrase, which works with any chords.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Return to “MusicDevelopments”