Newbie question: recording phrases and scale positions?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
SMAustinTexas
KVRer
15 posts since 19 Sep, 2015

Post Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:30 pm

I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I've spent the better part of the weekend reading the manual, experimenting, watching YouTube videos, and I'm still missing something...

I want to record a phrase using my MIDI keyboard so that I can capture a more human feel to the phrase in the timing and velocities. So far so good, I can do this.

Then what I really want to do is transpose the recorded phrase using different scales so that, for example the recorded major 3rd becomes a minor 3rd automatically when I switch the chord from the major to the minor. I.e. I want to keep the scale position the same (3rd note of the scale).

Is this possible? I can get this to work on phrases I draw in or import but don't seem to be able to do this with recorded phrases.

No doubt I'm missing a key concept (no pun intended). Any suggestions?

yellukhan
KVRian
1310 posts since 10 Mar, 2004

Re: Newbie question: recording phrases and scale positions?

Post Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:47 pm

Hi,

i hope it helps.

SMAustinTexas
KVRer

Post Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:17 pm

Perfect, thank you!

musicdevelopments
KVRAF
2796 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:32 am

One solution that yellukhan proposed is when you record 'absolute' notes, then convert the notes to chord-relative form.

It is possible to do this automatically. Right click on the PLAY or RECORD button and make sure you set the following settings:

After recording your phrase, the master track already has the right chords, which you can change freely.

Thanks,
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Music Prototyping And Automated Composition Solutions

SMAustinTexas
KVRer

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:05 am

Many thanks to you both - very helpful responses. This gives me the toe-hold I needed to really get into this very deep and wonderful program.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”