Keyboard shortcuts from older tutorials…

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, noob here, having a total blast with RC, watching/reading lots of tutorials, thank you!

Primary frustration so far is how so many short cuts described in these older tuts don't work, either at all or do something different, or seem not to work, very hard to tell if they're just different now, or if I've not selected the right element first for them to be activated, etc. Has there ever been a thread or post here that updates these to at least version 3, if not the very latest build?

L, supposed to be Regen and Apply to Selection, now instead loops the selection and starts it playing, unless I'm doing something wrong (most likely!)…
Shift-G: Nothing (on my Mac)…

I've tried a few times to change the shortcuts in settings, with no joy so far. For instance Add track, supposed to be simply A, now says Command + when I right-click below the existing tracks, but that doesn't appear to work either, nor did changing it do anything…

Etc. Appreciate any tips, ideas, etc. TIA!

Hi David,

I'm also new here so I fully understand that it's not so easy to get started. However, my experience the past 10 days has been that the people in this community including the owner are very helpful.

I also struggled with adding a new track and after some trial and error found that you have to press the "+" while your select an existing track (right left to the piano key).

Cheers,

Amin

Yes, I've very much had that experience, too; so wonderful how active and responsive Attila the dev is, and so many others:)

I wonder if there are simply some Mac-related issues for me here. I just tried your very welcome suggestions, but still couldn't find any key strokes/mouse-placement combos that created a new track. But no problem; right clicking and selecting from the pop-up is fine for this.

It's L and Shift-G in particular that I'm hoping for:)!

"+" has to be pressed from the Num Block. Did you try that?

I just tried the Regen and noticed the following:

1. Phrase has to be active (highlighted)
2. Phrase has to support Regen functionality. For example "Chord Generator" does not support this
3. shift + g does not work. It has to be either shiftlock + g or simply lowercase g. Don't ask me why ;-)

Ah, I DID try the Num Block before, but not apparently with no modifier keys held. Tried that now and YES:)

And very helpful to learn that some generators don't, um, generate:) With those that do, YES, plain old G!

Thanks!

Is the old meaning for L now gone?

Is there a command or function to simply clear all chords, or clear everything, besides creating a new comp and not saving the existing one?
Last edited by David on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Under "Settings" you find the "Keyboard Shortcuts" submenu. There you can see and change all key assignments

Yes, I'll try that again, thank you.

Also, just found that g works to also randomize—I guess—chords when they are selected instead of a phrase. AND if you select more than one contiguous chord, g merges them all into one chord block of the total size and randomly sets that (seems an odd choice compared to keeping the blocks as is and just changing the inserted chords, but interesting anyway:).

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out

Hi David,

right, from version 3 all keyboard shortcuts can be customized, and a few changed since version 2. I will re-check all tutorials and fix them if they contain a non-working shortcut.
You can export the keyboard shortcuts as html.

One important aspect of using shortcuts is that they depend on which area is in keyboard focus. E.g. copy/paste or pressing '+' will work differently whether the tracks or the timeline or another area is in focus.
The keyboard focus changes for mouse clicks, the last click counts. Selection colours change when you change keyboard focus.

There are 'global' shortcuts that work regardless of which area is in keyboard focus.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

I am working on a new video that runs through a lot of RC's features. So far it is almost an hour long and I am working on the edits now. I hope to have it posted early next week.

BluGenes wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:01 pm I am working on a new video that runs through a lot of RC's features. So far it is almost an hour long and I am working on the edits now. I hope to have it posted early next week.
:pray:

pumafred wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:47 pm
BluGenes wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:01 pm I am working on a new video that runs through a lot of RC's features. So far it is almost an hour long and I am working on the edits now. I hope to have it posted early next week.
:pray:
Ditto!!

musicdevelopments wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:41 am Hi David,

right, from version 3 all keyboard shortcuts can be customized, and a few changed since version 2. I will re-check all tutorials and fix them if they contain a non-working shortcut.
You can export the keyboard shortcuts as html.

One important aspect of using shortcuts is that they depend on which area is in keyboard focus. E.g. copy/paste or pressing '+' will work differently whether the tracks or the timeline or another area is in focus.
The keyboard focus changes for mouse clicks, the last click counts. Selection colours change when you change keyboard focus.

There are 'global' shortcuts that work regardless of which area is in keyboard focus.

Thanks,
Attila
Excellent, thanks!

Re: L, seems that G is now doing what that used to, yes?

I've tried changing a few short cuts and making other settings changes, but more often than not, my changes don't stick. Also, usually when I quit RC, I get a Quit Unexpectedly warning from the Mac; presumably that would be the reason…?

Thanks, BluGenes! :hyper:

David wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:44 pm Re: L, seems that G is now doing what that used to, yes?
That is right, it regenerates all selected phrase generators.
David wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:44 pmI've tried changing a few short cuts and making other settings changes, but more often than not, my changes don't stick. Also, usually when I quit RC, I get a Quit Unexpectedly warning from the Mac; presumably that would be the reason…?
Yes, that is the reason :(
This is a big problem. Is this happening with the beta version? Can you send me crash dumps in e-mail to info@m....developments.com ?
So far no crashes were reported on macOS. I am sure this can be fixed quickly.

Thanks,
Attila

Return to “MusicDevelopments”