5000 (+32,000) chord progressions from RC rules

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello !

I can host them as mirror if you want, for free and forever (I'm the owner of the domain hsjp.eu).

Here is an example:
http://hsjp.eu/mao/RapidComposer/

Incidentally... I'm so glad to be back among you ! But I'm still a long way from being off the hook. I'm even writing to you right now from my hospital bed. I am still there three to four days a week, under monitoring, and for again several months to come. And fortunately with internet access now since I moved to a new department in June (in the old department where I stayed from September 2018 to June 2019 I had no internet access, only my little tablet to read ebooks, it was boring as hell).

In February, after a very heavy chemotherapy to destroy all of my bone marrow (myeloma, a huge and quite rare cancer), I received a stem cell autograft (collected in September 2018 before starting chemo) from my bone marrow before the critical date when it would have become definitively impossible. A very, very heavy treatment.

I missed you guys! And that's an understatement !

In short... If I can make myself useful by offering a mirror space on my web space to support the hosting offered by Attila, it will be with great pleasure, SmallToes!

The same goes for your files, Yellukan! It would be nice to have them all together in a same place.

My warmest regards to all of you, friends!
Jacques
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Hi Jacques,

i swear yesterday you came to my mind while looking for old forum posts
i was thinking there was warm friendly and optimistic BlackWinny where is now?
so, what a timing ! :)

sorry to hear that!
i wish you will get well soon quickly my friend!

Warmest Regards from me too,
Yıldırım.

Hi BlackWinny!
Speedy and good health and strength to heal!
We support you very much!

It is so nice to hear from you, BlackWinny!
RapidComposer is more than 9 years old and it is inevitable that people disappear and new people appear on this forum, but I often wondered where you were.
I remember you had an ambitious composition project you wrote me about a few years ago.
I wish you a quick recovery, and lots of new energy!
Get better, my friend! :hug:
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

do not change key with this progressions?

Hi BlackWinny
Thank you for your offer to host these files. Attila has said he will host them on the RC website. I hope for your speedy recovery.

Hi galenkane
I am still learning RC but these chord progressions are generated from the Pop Major Rules and are in a relative form I,iiSus4, etc. So they should work with any major key.

Cheers!

I have generated 4 bar chord progressions form the full set of rules, over 8,000 progressions. This is an alpha release and we'll see if there are any issues.

Attila made a very interesting observation "Why do you need progressions when you can click the random progression based on rule button in the Idea tool?" I have thought about this and I played with that button. I wonder if having the progressions "physically present" gives me a sense of "more control"? I also drag a 4 bar progression onto a track in different positions to find pleasing progressions - I don't think I can do that with the IT. I'm not making a case for an either/or solution - I think having both options available is more useful for the user and different workflows.

Anyways here is the full pack. Comes with two versions for each rule set: one with folders based on first chord and one with no subfolders for use in the Idea Tool.

Bach Harmonic Minor 279
Bach Major 342
Default Major 862
Default Minor 160
Jazz Major 247
Mozart Harmonic Minor 262
Mozart Major 232
Pop Major 5376
Pop Minor 172

If you know of other RC rulesets (like Jazz Major from user forrestlong) or have some comments or suggestions for improvising usability pls let me know. :D

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18vCV7 ... BjZzxiJUX2

Cheers

(Attila can you pls let me know when you have grabbed this file for the RC website? Thanks)

Thank you very much! :hug:

Thank you, SmallToes!
The file can be downloaded from
http://www.musicdevelopments.com/SmallT ... 9_v0.1.zip

If you don't mind I converted it to .zip so that mac users can easier access the contents.
Also I replaced the spaces with underscore in the file name.

Thanks!
Attila

Dear Santa!
are you still there?
i want to make a wish :pray:

as your 4 chords auto creations
may i have 8 chords Harmonic Minor progressions from Mozart and Bach rules,
randomly created for example 300 or 500 for each rule set ? :oops:

Hi there,

I don't know why, but when i put them into DB folder , chord preview doesn't work in Cubase

For more detailed information , please check the latest post

viewtopic.php?f=168&t=534946

What folder should i put them into?

SmallToes wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:01 am Edit: Full pack here https://drive.google.com/open?id=18vCV7 ... BjZzxiJUX2

Here are 5376 4 bar chord progressions generated from RC's Pop major scale rules. They are categorised in folders by the first chord.

On windows I installed the folder under C:\Users\[name]\Documents\RapidComposerV3\DB\Pop Common\DB - not sure if it works in any other location or how it works on Mac. Maybe someone on a Mac can say?

Is there another way to host this file? At the moment it is on my Google drive.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N3kzQ ... NzCMXfBqOl

Edit: post title
Edit: Added pack
I'm curious, how did you generate these.
I have some rules that I created and wanted to do the same thing here.

SmallToes wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:03 am Hi yellukhan

I was thinking too that 700,000 chord progressions was possibly every chord progression in human history and now that we have done that we can pack up and go home. :D

For the idea tool one column of Progressions is not enough I think. Would be ideal to have another column for the follow progressions and make "rules based" long progressions over 8 bars length. Maybe Attila can think if this is worth the effort.

No hidden batch in RC. I just read the rules file (it is just a text file) and convert it to a two-column csv file, then import the csv file into a database, then make a SQL query and then with C# Visual Studio step through the SQL Query and write out the progression files to folders. Very simple query. Using very old software from 2000.

Oooops :o It was 7 million not 700K :D I have not "saved" this query as 7 million progression files. It sits in my database until one day when I have enough courage and strong enough to push the button. :wink:

Also RC is acting funny and crashing with 35,000 progression files. Not sure if we are meant to put this many chord progressions into RC. Maybe some memory leak when all progression files are read upon RC opening.

Cheers!
I just saw this and now I'll be able to create this. Thanks for posting this.

Hi Attila,

Would you happen to have a sample of what this looks like with multiple progressions in a single file? Whenever I save progressions through the RC interface, it creates separate files, so I'm not able to see what this would look like. (Unless, of course, I am not doing this correctly, which is entirely possible.)

Thanks and best regards,
Forrest
musicdevelopments wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:15 am :idea: A tip: you don't have to have each progression in its own file. This slows down loading them one by one. An .rcCHPR file can include many progressions.
You can include a 'group' attribute for each progression, like

Code: Select all

group=Major Scale Formulas;

Hi Forrest,

at the moment RC saves each new or edited progression in a separate file.
An example for multiple progressions in one file:

Code: Select all

#Chord Progressions
name="I - bII - II"; chords="I","bII","II"; group=Major Scale Formulas2; 
name="I7 - bII7 - II7"; chords="I7","bII7","II7"; group=Major Scale Formulas2; 
name="Im - IIdim"; chords="Im","IIdim"; group=Minor Scale Formulas2; 
name="Im - IIm7b5"; chords="Im","IIm7b5"; group=Minor Scale Formulas2; 
name="Im - IIm7b5 - VI - V7"; chords="Im","IIm7b5","VI","V7"; group=Minor Scale Formulas2;
"chords" can be written in another format too: chords="Im - IIm7b5 - VI - V7"

It is possible to assign lengths to each chord by adding a length entry, e.g. for 4 chords: "lengths=1024,1024,1024,1024;". A quarter note is 256 units long, so these 4 chords are 4 bars.
Of course not just the roman numeral notation is accepted. Use slash for sub-groups, e.g. group=Cadence/Min;

Please note that if you save a progression into these groups (e.g. in Major Scale Formulas2) still a separate file will be written. This will have to be fixed.

Thanks,
Attila

Return to “MusicDevelopments”