Can't get any sound in standalone or VST mode inside Studio One...

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Celibate
KVRer
4 posts since 17 Mar, 2020

Post Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:49 pm

I can't get the Rapid Composer audio preview to work in standalone or vst mode inside my Studio One DAW. In standalone mode, I've chosen the options which can be seen in the screenshot and I do get a valid test signal which I can hear. However, once I click on the play button I can't hear anything. Same thing inside Studio One.
rcstandalone.png
studioonerapidcomposer.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BluGenes
KVRian
650 posts since 15 May, 2017

Re: Can't get any sound in standalone or VST mode inside Studio One...

Post Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:27 am

Are you on a Mac or Windows? Thunderbolt is the Mac version, USB version is Windows.. (I have the Apollo USB Twin myself, Win 10)

That would be the only conflict I can see..

musicdevelopments
KVRAF
3646 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:03 am

I am also confused a bit. First I thought it was on macOS because of Thunderbolt, and then I realized ASIO is used so it must be on Windows.

Since the audio interface works in RapidComposer, if you use soundfonts or VSTi as the track instrument, it should make sounds (e.g. open one of the included compositions, click on "Using" next to "New"). For "General MIDI" instruments audio is not generated, that is only used to send MIDI events to external applications. Please also check Settings / Preview instruments.

For the VST version, you should route the output MIDI channels from RapidComposer to an instrument track. If you have done that, please check if MIDI events arrive from RapidComposer. I don't see anything wrong on the screenshot.

Thanks,
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer and Syne

Celibate
KVRer

Post Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:16 am

musicdevelopments wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:03 am
I am also confused a bit. First I thought it was on macOS because of Thunderbolt, and then I realized ASIO is used so it must be on Windows.

Since the audio interface works in RapidComposer, if you use soundfonts or VSTi as the track instrument, it should make sounds (e.g. open one of the included compositions, click on "Using" next to "New"). For "General MIDI" instruments audio is not generated, that is only used to send MIDI events to external applications. Please also check Settings / Preview instruments.

For the VST version, you should route the output MIDI channels from RapidComposer to an instrument track. If you have done that, please check if MIDI events arrive from RapidComposer. I don't see anything wrong on the screenshot.

Thanks,
Attila
Thanks for your response, Attila!

I've stuck around the default composition (I,IV,V,I) so far and never made it work. If I load a template, like Ambient 1 or Classical, it does produce sound. What is the difference between the template instruments and the default instrument? The default one has a stereo grand on the track and if I right click that stereo grand track there seem to be no difference compared to the warm pads of the templates etc. The templates also work in Studio One, but not the default composition that appears after clicking on "new composition".

EDIT: I'm using the latest Windows 10 version. My UA Apollo Thunderbolt works with Windows 10 and Mac OS X as I'm using it on a hackintosh machine with a Z390 Designare motherboard.

musicdevelopments
KVRAF

Post Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:40 am

Very strange, there should not be any difference. Can you check Settings / Miscellaneous / New Track / Default Instrument For New Track? If that is set to "General MIDI" there won't be sound. Maybe it is set to "Chord Preview Instrument" and that has issues? I just cannot find an explanation for this.
If the play button turns green during playback, the audio clock is used for timing, for soundfonts and VST instruments. If that is yellow, that means the internal MIDI sequencer is used, for MIDI tracks that produce no audio.

Thanks,
Attila
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer and Syne

Celibate
KVRer

Post Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:44 pm

Default instrument for new track is set to SF2: General User GS. I've provided 3 new screenshots. One screenshot shows a template that gives off sound and the default track settings which do not give off any sound. The play button is yellow during the default and the template piece when I'm in VST mode and green when it's in standalone. The time marker also moves in both pieces, but only the template gives off sound.
screen1.png
screen2.png
screen3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Celibate
KVRer

Post Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:04 pm

I've reinstalled it and it works now... very strange... but I'm just happy it finally works... thanks for the advice, Attila!

musicdevelopments
KVRAF

Post Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:16 am

Hi Celibate,
I am happy that you found a solution! This gave me headaches, and I still do not know what caused this...
Thanks,
Attila

Return to “MusicDevelopments”