Where to Get Updated Information on RC 3.84 (Tutorials or Documentation)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Syphus
KVRer
9 posts since 22 Apr, 2020

Post Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:56 am

Hi,
New to RC (just bought it a few weeks ago). I was trying to get up to speed and I noticed that most of the information I look at does not correlate to the version I'm working with. If the Developer is the only person working on this I can somewhat understand this lag . . .

But am I missing something? Where can I get updated information on version 3.84 (the documentation from the site is for ver 2.83) - some of the tutorials I have seen (even on the wiki) do not show the same GUI or have the same functionality the this version.

An example:

Following the instructions, I created 4 tracks and applied "Phrase Generators"
once this was done it goes on to show you how to change the phrase in the first bar of the first track. The Wiki make this statement:

With the Phrase highlighted and the Phrase Inspector window open, we can hit the letter G to create a new randomization of the Generator. Another easy and fast way to do this is as follows: Hit the right-facing arrow next to the Generator name. Whichever way you choose, you’ll see the 1/1 changed to 2/2.

This is called Phrase Local History. What it allows you to do is save and recall previous states of phrase generation (most commonly used with Generators). For example: “4th of 4”, or “6th of 6” near the Generator names. These indicate that we’ve generated/applied three additional Generators in one generator, or five additional Generators (using different parameters) in another. These can be recalled and changed at any time, by clicking the left or right arrows on each phrase!

My questions:
What "right facing arrow" next to what "Generator name" [ from first paragraph ]
Where is the "1/1 to 2/2" indicator [ Same paragraph - I know this has to do with the history ]

How can you recall history states of Phrase generation without any button or indicators [ Second paragraph ] (maybe by clicking the arrows that do not exist - that I can see)

The dialog box I looking at is the "Phrase Dialog" you get when right clicking the Phrase in the track.
Can some help me find this information - perhaps there is documentation I'm not aware of?

I'm a bit frustrated at this time . . .
Thanks in advance,

Syphus

BluGenes
KVRian
727 posts since 15 May, 2017

Re: Where to Get Updated Information on RC 3.84 (Tutorials or Documentation)

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:30 am

Hi and welcome!

Yes, to answer your first question, there is only one developer for the software. So, he has a LOT going on with just maintaining the program. There are people here that can help with questions for you and when the developer has the time, he will directly answer questions here as well.

RC has a interface that isn't quite intuitive, but, you will understand and develop a work flow with it in no time.. The documentation, unfortunately is at the bottom of the workflow in the development of RC, so, yea, information is dated..

Scan the Tips and Tricks] sub forum here for some help as well..
viewforum.php?f=285

There is also a video manual that covers most of the software's operation.

That link is: (it gets updated, for now..) or can be found from the main web site, support area..

viewtopic.php?p=7280718#p7280718

musicdevelopments
KVRAF
3760 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:10 am

Hi Syphus,

please use the PDF generated from the wiki pages, forget that old PDF manual:
http://www.musicdevelopments.com/manualv3.pdf

Phrase Local History is hidden by default not to confuse new users :) You can enable it under Settings / Miscellaneous / Editing:

I am determined to make a proper PDF manual for v4.0 and throw away the wiki.

Thanks,
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

Syphus
KVRer

Post Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:23 am

Thanks for the replies and info.

I kinda understood that this was possibly a one-man project and don't want to appear that I am complaining to a great extent.

I want to use the software and just need to know where the best info was without having to scan all the threads.

I will check out the link and go from there. Again thanks again (Attila & BlueGenes) for the replies.

Syphus

Syphus
KVRer

Post Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:12 pm

Also, your UI implementation is quite interesting . . . I really like it - Keep up the good work!

Syphus

mgrey
KVRer
4 posts since 30 Dec, 2018

Post Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:06 am

User interface and User Experience are specialized areas of software dev. My impression is that if Attila would bring on some of that specialized talent on even a consulting basis his very deserving software would sell many more copies. At this point few users are motivated to climb the learning curve.

musicdevelopments
KVRAF
3760 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Mon May 11, 2020 9:09 am

You are right about the UI. I have to mention that the UI is under a big rework. In the latest beta version the Phrase Editor and Melody Editor already use the new design with vector graphics buttons. Very soon the main composition workspace will be redesigned. For v4.0 (September) everything will look more modern and friendlier...
Thanks,
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

themixtape
KVRist
216 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Sun May 17, 2020 4:55 pm

Did my best with the original manual (and version 2.3) videos. Sorry if they're not good enough for people these days... then again, a LOT has changed with RC since 2012/2013.

themixtape
KVRist
216 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Sun May 17, 2020 5:00 pm

I should also mention that most of the text in the wiki-generated PDF manual was written by me way back in 2013. Especially the music theory part... I hope the information is helpful, even 7 years later!

-Chris

Return to “MusicDevelopments”