SOLVED!!! - Melody Phrase Generator Problems

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
lasvideo
KVRist
80 posts since 26 Feb, 2016

Post Tue May 05, 2020 8:12 pm

UPDATE- Once again Attilas' wonderful tech support for customers comes thru. He took the time to explain how this generator works which helped me understand why I was not getting the results I expected.

"The Melody Generator (MG) is a special one, it is the only phrase generator that uses the actual master track chords and scale for generation. Which means the generated notes are for the specific position (phrase position also counts: e.g. "down-beat is always a chord note option") and chord. This is why it makes no sense to transpose the MG because chords notes will not be chord notes anymore, and moving it under another chord also changes the initial conditions for the algorithm, which means the result will be different.

What caused the confusion (and it is indeed a bug!) is that when you move around a MG, it is not regenerated for the new circumstances. However when loading a composition, all phrases are regenerated. So one should keep in mind that MG works differently from all other phrases.

There is an easy workaround if you like a melody phrase, and you want to use it in many places: you should apply "Render Phrase With Variations And Voicing" which will create a normal phrase consisting of scale notes. Please note that the MG can create chord notes too! You will find "Convert Notes to 'Chord Note+Scale Step' Form" in the Options menu. "
Last edited by lasvideo on Sun May 10, 2020 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

BluGenes
KVRian
727 posts since 15 May, 2017

Re: Major Melody Phrase Generator Problems on both regular & beta RC (Mac and PC)

Post Wed May 06, 2020 2:29 am

I looked at this some more and the only other thing that makes a phrase change that I could come up with is if you have "lock to scale" on. And, depending on the settings AT the chord does this make a difference..

There are two places to look, first is the settings tab, misc, editing.. it's the last entry there.. The second place is, right click the phrase, from the "wrench" icon, click on the "chords" button and you will see a drop down list next to the lock to scale.

I was able to see the phrase change, but, correctly placing the notes in the scale. Nothing strange there..

If you can screen record a video of the problem in action, that would go a long way. If you can, record it from the very beginning of the process..

musicdevelopments
KVRAF
3760 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Re: Major Melody Phrase Generator Problems on both regular & beta RC (Mac and PC)

Post Wed May 06, 2020 2:36 am

This is probably a bug in the melody generator. I already checked the files you sent me and will have a fix shortly.
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

lasvideo
KVRist

Post Wed May 06, 2020 3:38 am

Thanks guys!

BG- I checked Lock to Scale in both areas and it is off.

Attila- Great! I look forward to the fix.

BluGenes
KVRian
727 posts since 15 May, 2017

Post Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 am

Well, there ya go.. good catch man... !

Cheers!

lasvideo
KVRist

Post Wed May 06, 2020 8:41 am

Thanks BG!

musicdevelopments
KVRAF
3760 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Sun May 10, 2020 1:31 am

Hi lasvideo,

Sorry for the delay. I was able to reproduce this, and now I understand why this is happening, and I have a suggestion how to avoid this in the future.

The Melody Generator (MG) is a special one, it is the only phrase generator that uses the actual master track chords and scale for generation. Which means the generated notes are for the specific position (phrase position also counts: e.g. "down-beat is always a chord note option") and chord+scale. This is why it makes no sense to transpose the MG because chords notes will not be chord notes anymore, and moving it under another chord also changes the initial conditions for the algorithm, which means the result will be different.

What caused the confusion (and it is indeed a bug!) is that when you move around a MG, it is not regenerated for the new circumstances. However when loading a composition, all phrases are regenerated. So one should keep in mind that MG works differently from all other phrases.

There is an easy workaround if you like a melody phrase, and you want to use it in many places: you should apply "Render Phrase With Variations And Voicing" which will create a normal phrase consisting of scale notes. Please note that the MG can create chord notes too! You will find "Convert Notes to 'Chord Note+Scale Step' Form" in the Options menu.

Thanks,
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

Return to “MusicDevelopments”