Melodya as item FX in Reaper

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Shakermaker
KVRer
2 posts since 27 Apr, 2019

Post Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:19 am

Hello all, I've got a question/problem regarding the use of Melodya inside Reaper. What I would like to achieve is this:

I want to insert an empty MIDI item on a track and add Melodya to this item - as an item FX, not a track FX. The idea is to make this item for instance four bars long (for a chorus maybe) and let Melodya create a melody for those four bars. As I imagine it I could then move around the item to different positions in the timeline or to other tracks, together with Melodya and its generated melody. I know I could simply drag and drop the MIDI from Melodya into the DAW but I'm looking for a non destructive workflow. The way I described it I could open multiple instances of Melodya, one for each song section, and move them around freely, experimenting with different arrangements and make adjustments to the melody generation rules of a specific section on the fly.
That is the idea. However when I add Melodya to a MIDI item and hit Play in Reaper Melodya does not generate any sound (the Play button inside Melodya doesn't react either).
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong with the routing (I think I've already tried most of the possible combinations of options) or if I'm misunderstanding something fundamentally, but I think this must be possible somehow. The advantages of such a workflow are so apparent to me that I can't believe I'm the first one to try it.

I know Rapid Composer sort of does the things I'm describing here, and it's a great program (I own it too), but although I really like it, it's not a DAW, and for some other reasons I'd like to keep it all in Reaper. Furthermore Melodya is such a nifty little tool - in fact, if I could get it to work the way I want it to, it would be the tool I've been dreaming of for years. So maybe somebody here can help me? Thanks!

Edit: When I put the MIDI item at the start of the timeline at bar 1 I can hear the melody being played. But when I move the item to the right more and more notes in the beginning get chopped off, as if the plugin doesn't move with the item. And another thing, Melodya does not seem to react if I try to change tempo, neither the bpm setting in Reaper nor in the plugin itself have an effect.

musicdevelopments
KVRAF
3822 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Re: Melodya as item FX in Reaper

Post Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:09 am

Hi Shakermaker,

thank you for your feedback! I will fix this shortly. I have not thought of using Melodya as an item FX in Reaper. I must find out if the plug-in recognizes if it is used as an item FX, because only a simple offset should be applied during playback.
You are right about the tempo change issue, which works when Melodya is a track FX.

Thanks!
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

Shakermaker
KVRer
2 posts since 27 Apr, 2019

Re: Melodya as item FX in Reaper

Post Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:23 am

Hi Attila, thank you for your reply, I'm so glad you took notice and intend to fix this, you made my day :-) In general I want to thank you for being so responsive and open to feedback, that's not a given. And while I'm at it, thank you also for using such customer friendly authorization methods, I wouldn't have bought if I had needed an ilok or internet connection. Keep up the great work.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”