About Generating Bass Lines

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
sj1
KVRist
174 posts since 13 Mar, 2017

Post Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:10 am

Hi,

I've been having a go at generating bass lines and so far, to my sensibilities the lines that I've heard (a few hundred at this point)

a) almost all are "choppier" than desired
b) almost all range in pitch more than desired

Here how I have the Phrase set up for the bass lines I've been auditioning (via the Regenerate! button):

RC Bass Phrase Gen 01.jpg

In my so far limited understanding of this whole process, the things I think I would want to add within the existing paradigm are:

- Note Length settings of Extra Long and Super Extra Long

- A 'Confine Pitch Range To" setting in semitones

- An absolute upper Pitch value (so the bass is always in the bass!)

- A setting to always (or almost always) sound a note on the 1

- A "busy-ness" setting (spanning low to high)

With a) and b) in mind, I would appreciate any comments on how I might better operate this process to get better bass lines.

OTOH, if the "think I wants" are not really addressed by the current paradigm, then I offer them as suggestions for future feature work.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lulukom
KVRian
968 posts since 30 Nov, 2013

Re: About Generating Bass Lines

Post Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:03 am

+1!
I largely agree with the comments about the bass generator ...
I use two methods:
1. I play on the MIDI controller and drag the resulting phrase, like a rhythm into a generator, and .. rhythmically get what I wanted!
2. Sometimes I program the generator and is very similar to the way the author of the previous post does it - I always choose the random value of all the settings and I use the notes of all scales or chords or all 6 strings of a guitar ..
My imagination (so far)) + your wishes), can only tell me the intellectual creation of a musical style based on the analysis of a certain number of phrases or midi files.

sj1
KVRist
174 posts since 13 Mar, 2017

Re: About Generating Bass Lines

Post Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:05 am

Thanks for your comments lulukom! #1 hadn't crossed my mind yet. I will give it a try.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”