microtonality?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Jimmy34742
KVRer
8 posts since 5 Apr, 2014

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:40 pm

@MusicDevelopments have you ever considered adding a way to do microtonal composition? A microtonal mode would comprise more than just some new features, so I didn't put this under feature requests. Obviously, the app is strongly oriented to tonal music, but user chords already make different kinds of atonal organization convenient. Microtonality would be a godsend, though, as the only microtonal composition helper I know of is Dhalang, but it's a closed system that can't produce microtonal MIDI. Also, it currently won't run on MacOS Catalina although it's great on iPad.

lulukom
KVRian
997 posts since 30 Nov, 2013

Post Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:25 am

+++ 1 !!!!!!!!!!

lulukom
KVRian

Post Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:35 am

In my opinion, even virtual instruments are poorly tuned among themselves, of course in the microtonal sense! (This is a separate topic for discussion). But if it were possible to control microtonal settings with presets from the RC, this would be a great advantage of the program!

Jimmy34742
KVRer
8 posts since 5 Apr, 2014

Post Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:41 am

I thought the trick with microtonal MIDI is to combine note on with pitchbend in clever ways. Or maybe this is a MIDI 2 thing? Not being a dev, I really don't know. I also get good microtonal performance from Arturia's Pigments, but that's also not MIDI.

lulukom
KVRian

Post Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:46 am

I agree with you !

musicdevelopments
KVRAF
3858 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:12 am

Yes, of course this is planned for some time, and will definitely be added, as I see the demand. However I am not experienced in microtonal music and I don't know if/how it should work with MIDI. Having more than 12 tones in one octave requires another notation, and there is the question how it could be played on a normal MIDI keyboard. So I need to collect some knowledge and thoughts about this.

Thanks,
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

lulukom
KVRian

Post Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:46 am

Hi Attila!
I also do not have much experience in this matter, but I also think that in midi this will be connected with certain pitch band settings for each of the 12 notes. And I have repeatedly seen on the Internet tables of microtonal settings for various traditional and exotic tunes.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”