Rapidcomposer's Local Sequencer not working, Pls help

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
JustSomeRandomDude1
KVRer
7 posts since 17 Jul, 2020

Post Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi,
This Is my first post on KVR, so if i am posting in the wrong place pls forgive my Ignorance...

I've been using RC for a few months now, and i really love it, it has got every thing i need, but sometimes sadly not in my reach. I am a long time user of Live, but triying to move on with Reaper just for RC and also because of Live's limitations of using multitimbral vsts, routing and so on.

RC works fine in standalone mode, i can receive midi in both live, Reaper and also a very old version of FL studio.. but with delay of course, i figured out RC has its full potential while being used as VST, and i ve been using it ever since as VST, preparing in standalone and slowly moving the RC project to Live with only one channel and muting the others. I started to get annoying after a while and also the main reason for leaning towards Reaper.

Now, the problem I am facing is while using RC as VST in Reaper(or any other DAW for that matter), it works but when the local Seq. is activated the cursor stops, when deactivated or controlled by DAW everything works normal, i tried searching for a similar post but have found none. So, can some one help me figure out wats wrong, sure i must be missing something.

- Yes, ive disabled "close audio device when stopped......"

BluGenes
KVRian
835 posts since 15 May, 2017

Post Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:57 am

I had this issue once before and it turns out, for what ever reason, I didn't have the sends set up..
Also, be sure the track is armed and probably turn monitoring on..

Also, you didn't mention what your OS is..or what version of RC, etc..

This was my post at the time..

viewtopic.php?p=7623360#p7623360

musicdevelopments
KVRAF
3858 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:02 am

Great suggestions, BluGenes!

The "local sequencer" works by using the audio callbacks from the host as the timing. When there is no callback, it does not work. This is why the hint

For the Local Sequencer to work you must turn off 'Close audio device when stopped and application is inactive' in REAPER Preferences / Audio !

is displayed. It is possible that there are other settings that I am not aware of, that stops calling the plug-ins 'process' functions because of optimizations in the host. I am pretty sure this is the reason, rather than RC having a bug.
If you share your OS, host and RC versions with me, I will check what is happening.

Also, I would gladly send you the latest update (beta version) that features the rewritten plug-ins. There is no "Local Sequencer" button in the new plug-ins, which detect automatically whether the host is playing (transport button disabled) or not (transport button enabled).

Thanks,
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

JustSomeRandomDude1
KVRer

Post Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:12 pm

Thank you BluGenes & Attila for responding, i thought my post would be ignored for some reason but i was wrong, U guys do a wonderful job here.

Sorry i should have mentioned the specs. earlier my bad.
I am using Win 7 x64 - Updated till Jan ( if i remember correctly)
RC version is 3.84
Reaper 6.12c x64 and x86
Live 9.7.2 x86 (not planning to update any further bcauz its pointless and all i ever needed is already there) most of my plugins are x86 but for some i use jbridge, and thats the reason i am moving on with Reaper, cauz Reaper uses thier own bridge for vsts which actually works well with GUi unlike jbridge.

Like i mentioned b4 i ve used RC with Live, but with the limitations i had to use only one channel from RC, and mute the rest of the tracks inside RC. So i had to make a prototype beforehand in standalone and move that project into Live and keep adding necessary stuff using RC as vst(yes with Local Seq. enabled). I simply cant figure out what went wrong, i haven't installed anything new for the past couple of months, except Reaper.

As BluGenes mentioned i ve gone through the whole thread a week ago (amazing track BTW), and i ve tried every possible way, been working my brains out for week now..

After i posted here, i uninstalled RC and Reaper from my working PC and installed it on my old Dell Optiplex 380 which runs on Win 10, and which i primarily use for watching movies. To my surprise it worked like a charm, i didn't have to arm tracks or record monitor or anything. i just had to disable "close audio device....". So there is no single possible way that RC could be buggy.
I mean for COL its a 10 year old pc which has only 2gig ram and no dedicated audio cards/drivers, at this point i feel like Mr. Bean with the television set.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm3_qEMTdc4

BluGenes
KVRian

Post Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:47 pm

lol @ Bean.. really.. well, glad it is sorted out..

JustSomeRandomDude1
KVRer

Post Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:13 pm

Hi BluGenes,
Thank you for responding. I think i didnt not make it clear, I dint sort it out, it works on my crappy PC but not in my Win 7 PC which i work on, I did it because i had to to cross check if there is something wrong with my Win 7 PC, or if its is bug in RC... By doing that it clear to me that RC is perfectly fine, and there is something wrong in my set up, that sadly i still cannot figure out. Thats why i mentioned Bean, he never really got that Tv working even when he passes by the store all the Tv sets go to static...

BluGenes
KVRian

Post Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:56 pm

oh.. ok.. well, really hate to say it, but, maybe time to retire that machine.. it could be salvageable, depending on the architecture, like changing or upgrading the cpu.. etc.. I really wouldn't put much time into that, unless you really need/want to, though.

The machine that I use, I upgraded it a little at a time till I pretty much maxed it out. I didn't do it all at once either. But, I picked an architecture that I knew I could upgrade and was sure it could handle the heavy load of music samples. It's not even the best of it's class either, just an i5 cpu @ 3.10Ghz. But, it works..

JustSomeRandomDude1
KVRer

Post Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Blugenes, but changing/Upgrading doesn't really help, and i wont be upgrading to Win 10 anytime soon because (no offence, as i have seen most of u guys using win10) in my experience Win 10 is the most arrogant OS i've ever used altlest for Music prodution, not to mention that broad "Cortana" and also it sometimes tells that "some settings are managed by your organization" or something similar! I mean what organization...? i dont belong to any organization.... if im not the admin then whos controlling it.... :?

But coming to the point, after working my brains out and exhausting my self i literally ended up like this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtU5V1b5tGc
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But i finally figured out that the problem was, the DB folder, the one place i never looked or i dindnt bother to look, to be exact the Progressions files, ive recently downloaded Smalltoes progressions and placed inside the DB.

Turns out that RC as a VST couldnt handle more than 11800 aprrox progressions (i am not sure of the exact number thou). if i keep its under 11.5k RC Local Seq. works but if exceededs it stops, but all other stuff works except loc seq. i dont know the relation between them but that was that....
I cant believe that no one has encountered this issue so far.

So, I figured a simple Jumpstart work around, and wanted to share it,

Just follow these steps
1. Open up the Daw
2. after Daw has loaded, Open RC as stanalone (its in this order so, because if one is using Asio it will be first utilized by the DAW)
3. insert a new track
4. Add RC as a vst, adding RC as a VST will make RC standalone to work as VST.

Using RC as standalone lets RC load all those progressions that it couldnt load as VST.

Remember that if u use ur DAW as Admin, open RC as admin, or if u use it as the user then RC should be run as user, because if either one of them is different, then during step 4, RC closes and reopens up as the user or admin.

Thanks to the Dev. for making this wonderful software, as i have always imagined a software like this which stared my search and ended up finding one.

Music is Divine, dosent matter what kind it is or how its been made, one is expressing onesself, and a force of nature is making them do so.
I've heard people say "Doing Gods work", u are one among them, teaching music through making something thing that helps a person with a non musical background will understand, and helps them express their thoughts musically, Now that is simply amazing..

Thank you Once again..

musicdevelopments
KVRAF
3858 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:36 am

Wow! I cannot find an explanation for this weird behaviour. Indeed the two should not be related! Thanks for figuring out.

If you are willing to try the latest beta version, that includes rewritten self-contained VST, VST3 plugins. I have just tested, and they work well with the smalltoes's progressions in the DB folder.

I was skeptical about Windows 10 but you can disable all disturbing unneeded features.
Music is Divine, dosent matter what kind it is or how its been made
I wholeheartedly agree! :tu:

Thanks,
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

JustSomeRandomDude1
KVRer

Post Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:26 am

Thank u for the response Attila, thank u for the offer, but for now i am extremely happy with what i have in 3.84 and im gonna play with it for a looong time..

But, if I may suggest that in future,
1. if u could add a feature that could change the color of the part (from RED to something else user prefers, i know there is a feature to choose/chage color but red is default) an option like "start/ set default part color with ..." something like that, in Structure editor, i mean red is my fav color and all but its also the color of CAUTION 90% of the times ppl don't start a track/song with tat emotion, only while one is creating a score for visual. And also choosing a color as user prefers would be much more pleasant.

2. also if there is a feature to right click in structure editor to add a new part and lines that d be super cool.. it ll really help while modulating to a new scale and a bunch of different progressions, one doesn't have to go through duplicating and deleting.
I don't know if these are being requested b4, if not will u pls take this into consideration..

Thank you..

BluGenes
KVRian

Post Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:23 pm

There is a whole set of videos about RC in the tips area of the forum..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcH6QK9whRI

Return to “MusicDevelopments”