RapidComposer v4 feedback and discussion

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
sj1
KVRian
604 posts since 13 Mar, 2017

Post Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:07 am

I could imagine a beefed-up (or alternate) version of the Percussion generator where 16 or more parts were available, probably with the UI allowing us to choose some (any) variable subset of them to be visible simultaneously, but with all of them sounding (unless muted).

Each part would be configurable as "trigger-style" or "gated-style" and generate (randomize) accordingly.

For gated-style, allowing notes of different rhythmic lengths to be generated in a single line would be a feature.

sj1
KVRian

Post Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:11 am

For the generation approach, doing it similar to how Forager does it would be very efficient.

https://harvestplugins.com/forager/#foragervid

One touch to generate the full matrix, then audition and lock what you want to keep, and then regenerate again the cells/lines/parts that didn't pass the audition. Rinse and repeat until you have a slammin' groove!

KVRist
178 posts since 12 Aug, 2015

Post Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:02 pm

Hi Guys so I've come up with a video giving you as much information as possible explaining the benefit of having a generator that works on what you import into it. Let's you make the genre of music you want without having too much knowledge. Let's you take control of what gets outputted, which means no more spending time just hitting the regenerate button hoping to get something you like.

Feel free to give me any feedback on stuff you don't understand. But for anyone who is looking to make music quickly without having to do too much then this is the ideal solution.

The video is in two parts the first talks about melodies and basslines and the second part talks about chords and chord voicings and rhythm. :tu:

KVRist

Post Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:05 pm

KVRist

Post Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:11 pm

KVRist

Post Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:13 pm

My idea video is up. :tu:

KVRist

Post Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:15 pm

My idea dose just this audition and lock what you want to keep, and then regenerate again and much more. :tu:

KVRist

Post Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:18 pm

musicdevelopments wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:05 am

My idea to make RC work more for the users needs :tu:

KVRian
1334 posts since 15 May, 2017

Post Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:42 am

Interesting ideas.. but, a lot of that is already there, if you know how to develop a proper work flow. Example is using the Markov generator for your examples. You can do the "pick a favorite" just by saving phrases to the library, just structure your saves. Saved phrases can be used as phrases or rhythms. The Idea tool is capable of a lot what you want as well.

Just my opinion, I am sure there is a lot of room for improvement.

Again, the key word here is understanding a work flow. As you know, RC's work flow is different and needs the user to adjust a little bit.

I can't stress enough that to understand RC is to take time and just click everything. Experiment more, etc..

KVRian

Post Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:04 am

Just a note for everyone, right now the current priority for RC is a hardware accelerated UI. It will bring RC up to speed with newer hardware technology and at a better performance boost. About all I can say about it at the moment, but, it's gonna be a nice improvement. (Which means converting the current UI code to a different code base, which is a tedious process..)

KVRist
199 posts since 10 Jan, 2014

Post Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:39 am

BluGenes wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:42 am
Interesting ideas.. but, a lot of that is already there, if you know how to develop a proper work flow.
I'm in complete agreement with what you said there!
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

KVRist

Post Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:19 am

Guys you're missing a massive point here.
My plan is to make RC more user-friendly to generate more people investing in RC it's all well and good saying you have to invest the time but what about the new people that don't have internet access and want a software that works like captain chords. RC is their best option.

Is it right that they should be put off by the learning curve when all my suggestions will solve that problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from looking at your followers on your YouTube pages and SoundCloud I'm guessing you do music more as a hobby or for fun in your spare time, so sitting down learning about RC isn't a real issue but there are some many producers out there that do music for a living that are consistently looking for software that can speed up their work flow, as well as people that want to get into production or singer-songwriters that just want to put a simple track together.

It's great that you do little YouTube videos but unfortunately you haven't got the following to get RC out there to a big audience and unfortunately the music you guys are making is for a very niche crowd.

We need to show RC in a more user-friendly way with the option of going down the Rabbit Hole for advanced users.

The more people that buy into RC the more you will start to see videos online of people making different genres of music and creating a buzz.

We need to change the reputation of RC only being for old people that like to make rock and classical music.

It's about time that Attila got the recognition he deserves for all the hard work he's put in over the years it's about time we see a new generation of people talking about rapid composer.

Spending time working on the UI is great but what's the point if it only benefits the 10 people in this forum.

It's coming up to Christmas how many producers are going to wanting new music software.

So surely they should be the priority making RC more appealing.

sj1
KVRian

Post Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:17 am

I could imagine that the concept of "generators" could go in the direction of "Generate Style", where choices would be along the lines of: "Techno, RnB, Classic Rock, Jazz Bop, Modern Jazz, Bach Choral, etc. etc.

IOW, Genre Generators.

It would be a huge amount of work, but these could be paid add-ons, so there might be a business justification for going this way.

The idea, IMO, would be to generate entire compositions in the chosen genre/style. Lock what you like, then regenerate what's still unlocked.

If it is cleverly designed, RC would read the specification(s) for a composition (perhaps from XML) and an entire ecosystem could eventually spring up around RC with 3rd parties creating their own genre/style addons.

KVRian

Post Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:57 am

lovemusic15 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:19 am
Guys you're missing a massive point here.
My plan is to make RC more user-friendly to generate more people investing in RC it's all well and good saying you have to invest the time but what about the new people that don't have internet access and want a software that works like captain chords. RC is their best option.
OK, no internet access, ok..
lovemusic15 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but from looking at your followers on your YouTube pages and SoundCloud I'm guessing you do music more as a hobby or for fun in your spare time, so sitting down learning about RC isn't a real issue but there are some many producers out there that do music for a living that are consistently looking for software that can speed up their work flow, as well as people that want to get into production or singer-songwriters that just want to put a simple track together.
Yea, if you are talking about me, I made the manuals videos for the people that own the software. I don't publish those videos as public. I don't advertise for the software, that is up to the company that owns the software. How much and far they wish to invest in marketing is up to the company.

I did not nor do I receive monetary compensation for those videos.
lovemusic15 wrote:
It's great that you do little YouTube videos but unfortunately you haven't got the following to get RC out there to a big audience and unfortunately the music you guys are making is for a very niche crowd.
I used to play professionally, but, I don't anymore, so yes, I make my music for the fun of it. I also have no interest in how many people subscribe or don't subscribe to any of my both platforms.

The videos are specific on how to use the mechanics of the software. That's it.

KVRian

Post Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:01 am

As a follow up, I am really glad you are enthusiastic about RC. I am sure that your suggestions have been considered. I know that Atilla reads this and does take notes.

Just wanted to clarify this..

Return to “MusicDevelopments”