RapidComposer v4 feedback and discussion

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
KVRian
1186 posts since 15 May, 2017

Post Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:24 pm

sj1 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:23 am
BluGenes - FWIW I could not replicate what you describe above. For me, nothing is heard in Preview when the phrase is emptied out as you describe.
interesting..

be sure you have a sound setup in your settings.. Just out habit, I just use the default sound font
click.

and

I may have to do a video to show case it, forum description is hard to show what I mean..

sj1
KVRian
509 posts since 13 Mar, 2017

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:15 pm

BluGenes wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:49 am
If you set the rhythm to manual and then clear the rhythm.. (you can clear the whole rhythm by right clicking the very first rectangle) If you apply this edit, which results in an empty phrase, ...
Working in a new composition, and doing just the above with the Melody Generator, I find that if I then go back to another Rhythm: selection (e.g. Generic Rhythm) then it is no longer possible to use the lightning bolt to generate new rhythms.

It seems the something about clearing the rhythm when Manual Editing is operative messes things up internally.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

4363 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:39 am

crossovercable wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:39 pm
I have RapidComposer-4.0b13 but when I update to RapidComposer-4.1b10 it prompts for a serial.
Hi crossovercable,

v4.0 beta versions worked with the v3 license key, but all versions after v4.0 require a new license key. I have sent out e-mails with upgrade info last November, which can also be found on my website.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com - Anniversary Sale -40% until April 20!
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:35 am

Hi sj1,

this file works well here. It can be copied with Ctrl+drag, ghost-copied, copied with Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V, I don't know which copying did not work. Please let me know if I misunderstood something.

Thanks,
Attila
sj1 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:27 am
Hi,

I've got a whole directory of drum phrases that cannot be copied once dragged into the workspace.

These were imported into RC originally back in RC 3.x. Could that be a problem?

I've attached one of the phrase files as an example.
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:34 am

Yes, I confirm this did not work well. I fixed this embarrassing bug now.
Thanks, BluGenes!!!
Attila
BluGenes wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:49 am
The bug is, the rhythm preview isn't working correctly..

Now, I only tested this with the melody generator, but, it probably exists in all the generators..

If you set the rhythm to manual and then clear the rhythm.. (you can clear the whole rhythm by right clicking the very first rectangle) If you apply this edit, which results in an empty phrase, if you click preview, it plays a rhythm, even though you just cleared it.

Another test is to set to manual, quarter notes, and set just one note, then apply. It plays something different.

Anyone welcome to verify my tests please..

KVRian

Post Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:17 am

No problem.. here is an interesting video that everyone should watch.. ;) Need feed back on this guys.. I am writing an Articulation editor for RC..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iumeSyBfEY

KVRian
1208 posts since 30 Nov, 2013

Post Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:15 pm

Thank ! It seems that something has moved with the topic of Articulations. I myself do not know how and do not really want to write scripts, but if it was framed in a special editor that would make the application of articulations simple, I would be very happy. Thanks again for this promotion ! PS. And not only classic instruments!)))

KVRist
128 posts since 10 Feb, 2018 from Cumbria, UK

Post Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:03 am

BluGenes wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:17 am
No problem.. here is an interesting video that everyone should watch.. ;) Need feed back on this guys.. I am writing an Articulation editor for RC..
Wow! Just watched this Gene. This is brilliant and I could certainly find a use for that (happy to alpha /beta test).

I didn't even know you could assign articulations by note in the editor, so I learnt something else today courtesy of your video thanks.

The articulation file as it stands isn't easy to edit as a user, so having a gui to do it quickly and accurately is a boon.

Look forward to seeing how this one progresses. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers.
Mike. :)

sj1
KVRian

Post Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:12 am

Hi,

I've made a video that shows my issue. Hopefully it is just something I'm misunderstanding.

https://youtu.be/rt9SBrxLq58
musicdevelopments wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:35 am
Hi sj1,

this file works well here. It can be copied with Ctrl+drag, ghost-copied, copied with Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V, I don't know which copying did not work. Please let me know if I misunderstood something.

Thanks,
Attila
sj1 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:27 am
Hi,

I've got a whole directory of drum phrases that cannot be copied once dragged into the workspace.

These were imported into RC originally back in RC 3.x. Could that be a problem?

I've attached one of the phrase files as an example.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:04 am

Nice video, and the editor will be very useful. It is especially cool that you can click on a key-switch in Kontakt and the note is filled. You already worked a lot on this! :tu:
BTW the rhythm preview bug is fixed now.
I expect v4.1.2 sometime next week.

Thanks!
Attila
BluGenes wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:17 am

KVRian

Post Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:27 pm

musicdevelopments wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:04 am
Nice video, and the editor will be very useful. It is especially cool that you can click on a key-switch in Kontakt and the note is filled. You already worked a lot on this! :tu:
BTW the rhythm preview bug is fixed now.
I expect v4.1.2 sometime next week.

Thanks!
Attila

I am gonna redo that video without the bug report. Making serious headway and all. I think the editor can be a game changer for me.. I'll be able to create articulations fast and use them right away.. anyways, I'll do one more video about it and then when it's ready to test, I'll post more info that when it happens.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:57 am

Hi Steve,

thanks for the video. Whenever you drag the right edge of phrases, the effect of dragging depends on the "Phrase Resizing Mode". It was set to "Regenerate" which can be used only for phrase generators. If you set it to "Repeat" or "Scale", it will work as you expect.
(I think I'll remove "Sustain" because that is not very useful.)

For pasting a phrase, make sure the workspace is in keyboard focus when you press Ctrl-V, not the timeline. Remember, copy and paste works on the timeline too, where it copies the timeline selection. "Repeat Until The End Of Line" worked for me.

On the other hand you are right thinking that this is not user friendly that nothing happens. I made a small change, so "Regenerate" will work like "Repeat" for normal phrases in the next update.

Thanks!
Attila
sj1 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:12 am
Hi,

I've made a video that shows my issue. Hopefully it is just something I'm misunderstanding.

sj1
KVRian

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:47 am

musicdevelopments wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:57 am
Whenever you drag the right edge of phrases, the effect of dragging depends on the "Phrase Resizing Mode". It was set to "Regenerate" which can be used only for phrase generators. If you set it to "Repeat" or "Scale", it will work as you expect.

For pasting a phrase, make sure the workspace is in keyboard focus when you press Ctrl-V, not the timeline. Remember, copy and paste works on the timeline too, where it copies the timeline selection. "Repeat Until The End Of Line" worked for me.
Thank you very much Attila!
I made a small change, so "Regenerate" will work like "Repeat" for normal phrases in the next update.
Seems sensible to me. :)

The situation makes me wonder as I have sometimes before if RC might not benefit from a status/message line. What I mean is a one-line area, presumably just above or below the lower scroll bar, where the program can emit short text messages in such situations as might be useful.

It's the same idea as a pop-up message, but with the difference that there is no pop-up which might obscure anything or be annoying, etc.

For example, in this case, when the user attempted to drag a non-generator phrase with Phrase Size: Regenerate then the no-action behavior would be accompanied by a message in the text message area: "Non-generator phrases cannot be dragged when Phrase Size: is set to Regenerate" (or similar).

It's true that RC would also have to manage clearing the status/message line. Basically, whenever the user's last action has nothing helpful to say, just erase the last status/message.

If someone really doesn't want to spare the real-estate for one kindly line of text then of course it could be turned off (eliminated) as a configuration item.

But I do think, FWIW, that having a status/message line that is on by default (e.g. from installation) would allow for display of info that would a) save alot of user time trying to understand non-obvious program behaviors, and b) reduce the support effort for other forum members and for the developer in answering questions that could have been avoided.

In any case, thanks again for setting me straight on the subject here. Much appreciated!!

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:27 am

Not a beta version, but I thought I posted a note about the new update (v4.1.2) here.
I hated the old phrase generator size entry in the phrase inspector, and there are other improvements in this update, as well as fixes for the bugs reported in this topic:

RapidComposer v4.1.2 maintenance update available

Improvements:
  • New size entry for phrase generators in the phrase inspector
  • Improved length display for phrases and rhythm patterns in the phrase inspector
  • Fixed badly working "Preview Rhythm" button in the phrase inspector
  • Fixed: preview in chord selector was always turned on
  • Fixed: 'lock' should never be enabled for percussion phrases
  • Fixed: in a percussion track the 'lock' button should not be displayed

KVRian
1208 posts since 30 Nov, 2013

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:47 am

Thanks and .. Crash.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”