RapidComposer v4 feedback and discussion

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
KVRAF

Topic Starter

4362 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:44 am

Ouch! Why are there so many issues with a simple pop-up menu on macOS?
Thanks, lulukom!

EDIT: which menu did you click on?
https://www.musicdevelopments.com - Anniversary Sale -40% until April 20!
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

KVRist
169 posts since 14 Sep, 2016

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:29 pm

I know this isn't a new issue with the installer but it just bugs me.

The installer asks me where I want to store the 32 bit version BEFORE asking me whether I want to install the 32 bit version. This is the wrong way around.

Surely it should give the option to install 32 and 64 bit versions first and if I uncheck the check box for 32 bit it should not ask for a location for the 32 bit version?

KVRist
66 posts since 10 Apr, 2017

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:37 pm

I know this isn't a new issue with the installer but it just bugs me.

The installer asks me where I want to store the 32 bit version BEFORE asking me whether I want to install the 32 bit version. This is the wrong way around.

Surely it should give the option to install 32 and 64 bit versions first and if I uncheck the check box for 32 bit it should not ask for a location for the 32 bit version?
At least 90% of the installers seem to work like that, not only RC :(
Xpoes

W10, Studio One 4.6.2, latest Reaper, Intel Core i7 9700F (8x Core) @4.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, 32 GB RAM, FluidAudio SRI-2, Nektar Impact LX61+

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:34 pm

I am sorry, you are right, the installer is a bit stupid on Windows. I should develop my own installer, which will happen in the long run.
Thanks,
Attila
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

sj1
KVRian
509 posts since 13 Mar, 2017

Post Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:24 am

Hi,

I am observing that when I drag a phrase (chord generator) it splits at the measure boundary w/o me telling it to. I did not expect this, and don't currently understand it.

The phrase originally came into existence from a "Fill with 'Chord Generator'" operation.

Could someone please tell me why this is happening and what I should change if I want to prevent it?

--
Considering this again after some more experimentation, the confusion (to me) arises from two "same-notes" adjacent phrases being visually combined in the Composition view to be indistinguishable from a single phrase.

I get the idea of combining the headers of adjacent "same-notes" phrases to reduce visual clutter. However, I do think that actually-one-phrase and actually-more-than-one-phrase should be distinguishable to the user as the behaviors differ quite a bit.

A possibility I would suggest is that a thin but visible vertical line show that there is more than one phrase actually present. Given that we could see that, then ideally our dragging could be done either on any individual phrase or on the header (or the divider) to move them all at once (and keep them together).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sj1 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

sj1
KVRian

Post Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:36 am

Hi,

Suppose we have filled a track with chords via Ctrl-Shift-H.

The result is a single phrase running the full length of the composition.

Is there any way to auto-split that into many individual phrases on all the chord boundaries?

KVRian
1186 posts since 15 May, 2017

Post Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:47 am

sj1 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:36 am
Hi,

Suppose we have filled a track with chords via Ctrl-Shift-H.

The result is a single phrase running the full length of the composition.

Is there any way to auto-split that into many individual phrases on all the chord boundaries?
right click timeline, gear tab..

sj1
KVRian

Post Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:25 am

Thank you BlueGenes!

sj1
KVRian

Post Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:35 pm

Hi,

In RC 4.1.2, running as a plugin, Ctrl-drag of track header to move the track's MIDI from RC into Ableton Live gives an incorrect result.

Also in Bitwig Studio.

Update: Dragging from RC standalone has the problem too.

Observe in RC, selected in the timeline are 4 measures containing 3 chords, arriving in Live are 3 measures containing two chords.

Also, just to check it, dragging out to a .mid file on disk results in 3 measures of info (when reloaded anywhere) instead of the 4 measures selected in the timeline.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRian
1186 posts since 15 May, 2017

Post Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:47 pm

a couple of things, mostly minor.. "G" on phrase regeneration shortcut does not update the phrase history. And you forgot composite tracks in the manual..

sj1
KVRian

Post Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:13 am

Hi,

My report 2 posts up applies also to RC 4.1.3. When I drag the track name out with 4 measures selected RC claims it is exporting 16 beats, but only 12 beats arrive at the destination.

KVRian
1208 posts since 30 Nov, 2013

Post Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:46 pm

Hello Attila!
Something got bored with us at the Forum).
Today I tried to do some live recording with a midi controller. It turns out that for a very long time I did not even suspect that some operations are done with difficulty, and some are completely impossible.
Now I'm going to talk about recording phrases in real time in a loop.
First, where is the option to write in a loop with erase and overwrite? (Overdubbing is set by default).
Secondly, the recording (with overdubbing can be called conditionally) occurs with the constant formation of new phrases and there is no way to overlay new notes with each new cycle in the same phrase.
And even when I tried to use the command to glue the phrases recorded in the loop into one phrase, I was in for a surprise . I have installed the recording option "Convert the recorded notes to a relative form + " Set notes to the nearest scales and chords " and after gluing the phrases I saw a new combined phrase, the notes in which had already become absolute.Or another variant of gluing phrases .. After gluing into one phrase, the notes remained relative form, but already in the glued one the option of pitch correction according to scales and chords did not work.
After turning the glued phrase into absolute notes, I again converted the phrase into a relativе form, and then I was surprised to see that the option to set the scale or chord to the nearest notes did not work either ...
I concluded that it is not yet possible to comfortably record notes in a loop in overlay in one phrase with automatic conversion and pitch correction. It's a pity, I really counted on it.

sj1
KVRian

Post Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:51 am

I notice the unusually long time (over 3 weeks) since Attila has posted here. I hope all is well!

KVRian
1208 posts since 30 Nov, 2013

Post Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:22 am

As far as I remember, Attila is digitally rebuilding the program. In fact, this is of course very important .. But I hope soon we will return to a lively discussion of urgent problems. All health and joy!

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:23 am

RapidComposer v4.2b1 beta version available

I'll soon return and fix these issues with MIDI drag and other problems that you reported here.

Improvements:
  • Sending MIDI Machine Control events is implemented (enable under Settings / MIDI)
  • 'Create Tone Row' setting for chromatic progression generation (experimental setting, which must be enabled under Settings / Miscellaneous)
You can download the update by clicking on "Check For Beta Updates" under the Support tab, or by using the secret beta download URL. Please PM or e-mail me if you need the download links.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”