RapidComposer v4 feedback and discussion

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
KVRist
90 posts since 12 Aug, 2015

Post Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:27 am

Great tip i've been using this method for quite some time the only problem is I find you don't get much variation when regenerating i also fine trying to recreate a certain melody is difficult in RC, that's why my idea of having a variation generator would eliminate those problems as you could take a melody from any MIDI file and generate variations which would speed up anybody's workflow which would mean you could take any melody from any of your projects and get new variations in seconds which would give you the option to have it very similar to the original idea or not.

KVRist

Post Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:29 am

Variation generator ???

KVRian
1222 posts since 30 Nov, 2013

Post Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:43 am

A good idea ! I would add .. And so that the process is as fast as possible, i.e. for example, I played a phrase and immediately press the button of the preset variation generator. The phrase changes and each time the variations are saved so that I can then select the variation I like (the original does not disappear). And the variations should suit my style of play (It's a distant dream, of course, but who knows?))

KVRian
1192 posts since 15 May, 2017

Post Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:58 am

for this to work, the phrase history issue needs to be fixed. Example, if you select a phrase in the composition that can regenerate and then press "G", the regenerate shortcut, the phrase will regenerate, but, the history does not update. (The x/x version number in the upper corner of the phrase does not change.)

The reason this does not work, is, the new generation is not being applied. You can test this really easy. Place a phrase generator on your composition, with the phrase inspector open. If you regenerate from here (the inspector) and then apply, the history updates.

With the same phrase selected, (click it again to make sure it has focus, not the inspector), pressing "G" will regenerate the phrase, but not the history. If you click apply, in the inspector, right after pressing "G", it does update the history.

edit: it also does not work when auto-apply is clicked on in the phrase inspector..

KVRist

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:35 am

There is already a standalone software that has this feature and it works great, with the variation generator you could have a autosave feature applied so every time you hit variation it could automatically save to your phrases that would solve problem of losing previous ideas you want to go back on .if you notice when converting to motive generator everything stays the same so then all you really need is a algorithm that locks the notes into place and just randomizers between those pitch and note lengths

sj1
KVRian
516 posts since 13 Mar, 2017

Post Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:05 am

RC 4.2b4 Percussion Generator - very nice!

I agree that per-track Solo buttons would be a desirable addition.

BTW, out at the Composition level I can easily start/pause playback using just the space bar.

If my context is the phrase preview (e.g. in the Percussion Generator ), can I arrange for that same ability? If not, it would be nice to have. Thanks!

Return to “MusicDevelopments”