RapidComposer v4 feedback and discussion

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
KVRist
159 posts since 10 Feb, 2018 from Cumbria, UK

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:07 am

Just playing with the new feature now. I'll report back :)

KVRAF

Topic Starter

4476 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:13 am

This was a big help, many thanks, lulukom! :tu: I have fixed this bug now.

Thanks,
Attila
lulukom wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:06 am
Yes, Attila, the same crash happens in the new version. And in what situation ..
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

KVRist

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:50 am

lovemusic15 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:50 am
"definitely needs to keep the length of the notes and the amount of notes in the rhythm the same and just generate new ideas based on those parameters"
Hi Dan. Just playing with this now. There's a lot to take in regarding the best way to drive it.
If you want the same number of notes but altering the rhythm each time, you can choose Subdivisions in the Rhythm tab and set the repeat to phrase length. Set the number of subdivisions to 1 less than the number of notes you want in the phrase.

It will randomize where the lengths are placed but keep the same number of notes if that helps. This is definitely a step in the right direction and has already opened up new opportunites for me. I'll do a vid on what I find in the next couple of days.

Cheers.
Mike.

KVRian
1284 posts since 30 Nov, 2013

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:40 am

And now I would really like to add the conversion of the phrase in Markov Generator !

KVRist
130 posts since 12 Aug, 2015

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:31 pm

Hi Mike

There lies the problem, because the music I make is very modern and has a real syncopated feel when it comes to dance music and R&B those generators don't have the right syncopated as they usually provide notes on the Beat or offbeat and that's it . Therefore if I'm not using a generator that generates modern rhythms then I'm kind of screwed and even the modern generators only do 16th notes and eighth notes, that was my whole reasoning for having a variation tool because you're always going to get similar results but as the variation tool never came to light and midi learn did I was hoping it would kill two birds and give me the ability to get new variations or similar ideas to the initial imported phrase. It's important that this generator has the ability to keep the length of the notes and the amount of notes with the same syncopated rhythm .it's great that it works for what you're looking for but surely it should be about having a feature that works for everyone in the RC community as well as encouraging people that haven't got Rc to invest in it .

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your video .Would love to see you recreate the pattern that I had in my video using your suggested generators as I've tried using them all but only the modern generators come close.

KVRist

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:11 am

Hi Dan.
Here's a clip using your example notes: https://youtu.be/S7okxNNQKyk
This creates a new clip based on the original and uses apply rhythm (I can do an example of subdivisions if required).
I see this as something that can develop new material influenced by existing phrases and not a substitute of the variations that you suggested (manipulation of existing phrases in situ). I don't prioritise Attila's development portfolio nor do I seek to influence such. This was a development suggestion and was probably quick to do. I don't know.

I definitely see a need for the variations to existing clips as well rather than creating new ones. Maybe a convert to Markov first. Who knows? This is however a significant step in the right direction as Light AI learning is a feature that I have never seen in other software and it's potential is huge.

Cheers. Mike.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:23 am

Today I added a small but extremely useful feature: you can make a new phrase shape, leaving the rhythm intact in the phrase generator dialog. For clarity I brought over the "Regenerate rhythm only" button from the Rhythm tab, so now you will find 3 buttons on the Generator page: [Regenerate Rhythm And Shape] [Regenerate Rhythm Only] [Regenerate Shape Only].

I am still messing with designing new vector graphics buttons so I cannot show you a screenshot right now.
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:29 am

If the 'learn' functionality does not work well in the Markov Melody, (I think I know why) I could implement a better working phrase generator which is a mixture of Markov and the 'Slice Phrase' variation with 'learn' functionality. I think you want to hear peculiar sequences from the MIDI file, 4-6 notes, for example, but there is a small chance that Markov will re-create that sequence.

Thanks,
Attila

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:09 am

Now I can show a screenshot. It works very well with all phrase generators. Now you can replace the rhythm only, or the shape only, if you want:

KVRist

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:11 am

musicdevelopments wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:09 am
Now I can show a screenshot. It works very well with all phrase generators. Now you can replace the rhythm only, or the shape only, if you want:

Looks good Attila. :)

KVRist

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:03 am

Mike I nominate you to do a series of how to use RC because the way you show videos makes it a lot easier to understand. Really appreciate you doing this.

Attila,
That is a great idea just what I was looking for, can't wait to test this out , really think you guys are onto something big here .

mixture of Markov and the 'Slice Phrase' variation with 'learn' functionality replace the rhythm only, or the shape only, ( instant inspiration)

KVRist

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:42 am

lovemusic15 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:03 am
Mike I nominate you to do a series of how to use RC because the way you show videos makes it a lot easier to understand. Really appreciate you doing this.

I agree though, these latest developments are on the brink of becoming the "missing" link in compositional aid and once the right direction and vision are set, the potential is huge.

Cheers. Mike.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:52 am

RapidComposer v4.3b3 is available!

Improvements:
  • It is possible to regenerate the shape only or the rhythm only for phrase generators
  • 'Convert to phrase generator' supports Markov Melody
  • Markov Melody UI improved, a missing option added
  • Fixed a bug in the 'learn' functionality in Markov Melody generator

KVRian
1284 posts since 30 Nov, 2013

Post Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:57 am

Hello Attila! Thanks for the new version. No bugs found yet) Question about the Markov generator. Implemented perfectly, everything works. Melodic generations are still for me to study, but I hear it works. I don't understand with the regeneration of the "only rhythm" button ... If it regenerates on the basis of the midi file that is selected for lerning, then, firstly, it is not rhythmically very similar to the rhythm of my midi file. Secondly, the button works only once and changes are possible only after applying randomization. But even this does not bring a greater change in the rhythm of the new melody. In general, how to understand the operation of this button in this window? Thank you for your work. The generator's prospects are very great!

KVRist

Post Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:55 am

Replace shape works well but you still lose the rhythm even if you only hit shape button.

Be good to also have a slice button there as well but if your going to implement a better working phrase generator which is a mixture of Markov and the 'Slice Phrase' variation then that is even better .

https://youtu.be/F5DDjsyHOaE

lulukom
The regeneration of the "only rhythm" button is so you can get new rhythm of the shape of the midi file that is selected for learning, that way it will give the shape a new feel. ( very powerful)

Return to “MusicDevelopments”