Pedal Tone / Drone Chord progression with RC

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
KVRer
18 posts since 17 Jun, 2021

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:12 am

I am a RC newbie. Sorry for simple question:

See concept as demoed here:
https://youtu.be/5E4Nsa6RL9I

How can I compose the way how Jake picks the right chords. which all have pedal tone.
Is there a way to get all chords with same bass tone as previous suggested ?

Thx, maybe easy to accomplish with RC.

KVRian
1242 posts since 15 May, 2017

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:20 am

add a slash notation to the chord.. Am/G or Am/F# etc.. this will add a bass note to the chord..

great example ...

viewtopic.php?p=8050168#p8050168

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:44 am

Thanks BluGenes,
But thats probably not what I am looking for.

I would like understand how RC finds/suggests all chords (in scale and modulated ones) which can be inverted in a way that they all have the same bass pedal tone, as shown in the YT video.

KVRian

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:40 pm

Well just remember, with RC, the "majic" is really pre-made "rules". The beauty being you can create your own rules.

So, it's up to you to define what chords RC will suggest. There's nothing more to it than that..

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:31 pm

Thanks BluGenes,
To me finding all chords which match the bass pedal tone concept should be something which can/should be done without manual user maintenance and which should be generalizable.

Hence my question to community was “Is there a way to get all chords with same bass tone as previous suggested ?”.

My understanding from this conversation is, so far it’s not possible.

Would it be a valuable addition to RC?
I personally find the bass pedal tone concept very intriging as it suits my favourite style of music (Pink Floyd etc).

KVRian

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:51 am

I totally agree.. I think that would be a great idea to add.. I would throw the band Camel in there with Pink Floyd too.. ;)

KVRAF
4476 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:56 am

If you want to special voicing for each chord, you can use the voicing editor to highlight the needed notes:

IMHO it is best to handle voicing in the tracks rather than on the master track. Each track may interpret the chords differently (think of an acoustic guitar track) and may want to use their own voicing.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:58 am

Hi Atilla,
Thanks. After reading your response I become aware that the idea/requirement is probably still not clearly defined.

The requirement is to get for a first chord which has a bass note all legal chords suggested which share same bass note. This will include all normal and inverted chords independent of and across all scales and modes.

Once such feature is made available we might easily compose using bass pedal tone as demoed in video which will contain highly modulation progressions but still sound smooth because of the drone-support.

KVRAF
4476 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:03 am

Hi Cliff,

this is a good idea! I'll try to implement such chord suggestions.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:18 am

Super great Attila, I know its a niche suggestion but the chord sequences are really special and creative and I think it will continue to prove RC to be a real musical prototyping tool.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”