Import midi percussion issue

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
KVRist
41 posts since 8 Jan, 2018

Post Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:53 am

I have many midi drum files.
I drag the directory to the Phrase tab.
They are converted to percussion phrases.
I create a drum track.
I drag one of my drum percussion files to the percussion track.
I convert the drum clip to the Percussion generator.
The notes are diamond shaped as they should be on a drum track.
They sound good and edits are possible.
But on Phrase > Generation tab, the percussion notes are only very small lines (I I I I) instead of the regular bars from the custom Percussion Generator.
Is there a way to change this so I can see the notes. The variations tab did not give me a solution.

KVRAF
4606 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:20 am

Right, rhythm in RC includes note lengths, so the Generator tab displays notes like this (rather than diamonds):

If you see very thin lines that means the imported MIDI percussion notes either had no 'note off' (only 'note on'), or all notes are very short. During importing MIDI, RC imports notes as they are. I also have such percussion MIDI files. Maybe a new MIDI import option could be added to specify minimum note length, but at the moment there is nothing to do, I am afraid.
When you import the same MIDI file in REAPER for example, it also displays thin notes.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne
Holiday Sale 40% off RapidComposer, Melodya, Syne until December 31!

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:13 am

Yes, you are right. The same happens in Reaper and every midi tool. I can import in Sibelius 7. The score then looks good, but save as, has the same problem.
Glad you said this, because I would never have figured this out.

Maybe you can solve this in an easier way with the opposite approach. Is it possible to give us a choice in RC to view as bars (as it is now) or as diamonds?? For percussion it doesn't make any difference. Some / many are even used to work with diamond shaped notes for percussion. In Composition and Phrase Editor you also have diamonds.

KVRAF

Post Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:51 am

What I could do is adding a menu if you right-click on the background:

In the next beta version soon.
Thanks,
Attila
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:24 am

Yes, that sounds good. I was doing something similar in Reaper. Import in Reaper > Set note length > Export midi > import in RC. But that is a lot of work because I have many files.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:35 am

Not sure about this, but I think you have to include triplets. If the original triplets become straight notes, the rhythm will change?

KVRAF

Post Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:52 am

No, this does not change the rhythm, only adjusts the length of notes. This is only for cosmetic purposes so that you don't see very thin notes in the editor, you will hear the same percussion notes.

KVRist
178 posts since 12 Aug, 2015

Post Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:41 am

Hi Attila,

Any updates on my video suggestion just discovered another new software with AI technology that has already implemented the genre feature just like what I suggested. only a matter of time before another developer comes up with the idea of importing your own midi to make your own genre generator.
I really hope you can do this in RC before someone else does.

https://youtu.be/lqJJzOgCKDI

Return to “MusicDevelopments”