FIVE New & Improved Shreddage 3 Instruments: Archtop, Rogue, Jupiter, Abyss, Serpent! (Upgrade/crossgrades available)

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well finally had some time this weekend to see what these palm mutes were all about. Got the recent update BTW.
Pleased to report that after adjusting some volume knobs and velocity settings I was able to get the palm mutes sound like Shreddage 2 👍 Furthermore I think I actually have more control over how much bite the mutes have, it can be much harsher or much softer than before.

Other positive observations:
-the heavy fingered vibrato now actually responds to amount. Before it seemed like it was either on or off, now you can dial it in.
-custom chords (for example if I made a power chord by myself and not using the keyswitch) are much less intense now. It's at a reasonable volume, before it seemed like they were hit too hard.

Two things I am not clear on yet though:
1 - When you release a key in S3 or the note ends it stops IMMEDIATELY. Sound is instantly cut off. It's unnatural and is messing with the tone a bit, also can make palm muted patterns sound strange. Where do I turn it so it rings out for a few milliseconds like in S2?I tried looking in the manual, but I don't know what this property is called, so I'm a bit lost.

2. For the life of me I can't seem to trigger a portamento slide using velocities. Is the way they're triggered changed? What am I missing? I can get it to work just fine in Shreddage 2, but the same velocity range, same MIDI notes in Shreddage 3 and nothing.
Hobbyist musician, otherwise an artist and designer:
https://www.artstation.com/markarandjus
http://markarandjus.tumblr.com/

1. We matched the palm mute release time in S3 (with the latest update) to the mute time in S2, so there shouldn't be any difference... which instrument are you working with?

2. By default, portamento is set to be keyswitch activated; you have to hold the keyswitch for it to be able to trigger. If you want it to be only velocity triggered, set it to the same triggering as sustains (so, keyswitch C-1 by default) and then just specify the velocity range you want.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

zircon wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:23 pm 1. We matched the palm mute release time in S3 (with the latest update)
Gahhh! At work it occurred to me it might not be the release, but the release NOISE! And indeed when I got home I tweaked the unpitched release :dog: All good now 😅
zircon wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:23 pm 2. If you want it to be only velocity triggered, set it to the same triggering as sustains (so, keyswitch C-1 by default) and then just specify the velocity range you want.
The trick getting it to work seem to be putting it in the vel range of the sustains.
So my sustains in S2 and S3 are 70->126
My portamento was 20->70 and it would not work, but now reading your advice I put it into 88->126 and it works. I mean it makes sense that it should only work in the sustain range, but since I was just copying/pasting settings from S2 it didn't occur to me. Derp, thanks Andrew!

BTW the vel=slide speed option is clever! 👍

It might be useful for new users if you made another one of those videos where you make a solo and show off how to program articulations. Except maybe get super to the point like 'this is how you slide 'this is how you hammer/pull'. Or maybe have FL studio files (or whatever) with already programmed riffs available. So users can download and learn from.

That's what I do; I have a bunch of Lamb of God and Mastodon riffs recreated in case I ever need reference. Which I will now show off because I feel like it :)
(Shreddage 2 and Shreddage Bass: Picked Edition)

Lamb of God-Pathetic (with original drum track)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bb85wr4unhb7a ... t.mp3?dl=1

Lamb of God - Another Nail for Your Coffin
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u516wi02pf29t ... n.mp3?dl=1

One more question, I don't see Revalver HPSE being mentioned on the product page anymore, are you no longer offering it as part of purchasing Shreddage? Really what I'm asking if I ever need to install Revalver again is my license still good?
Hobbyist musician, otherwise an artist and designer:
https://www.artstation.com/markarandjus
http://markarandjus.tumblr.com/

Your Revalver license is still good.

So which S3 guitar comes with the Metal Rhythm snapshot now? I figure I'll try upgrading to that one first to try it out.

DrMEM wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:17 pm So which S3 guitar comes with the Metal Rhythm snapshot now? I figure I'll try upgrading to that one first to try it out.
The three original S2 metal guitars (Shreddage 2, Shreddage 2 IBZ, Shreddage 2 SRP) upgrades have the metal rhythm snapshots included. So Jupiter, Rogue, and Serpent.

I went ahead and upgraded. The engine seems much improved, but I'm having a hard time setting up the articulations the way I want them in TACT. I HATE keyswitches. Can you help me set things up in TACT as close as possible to my S2 settings below? I really only care about

sustain
mute
pinch
hammer on/pull off
portamento

I'm having the hardest time getting portamento to trigger from velocity in S3. It usually wants to play "mute" or "power chord pitched release" samples instead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You can set it up exactly like that. Just set Sustain to "VEL" 60-127, and Mute to "VEL" 1-59, replacing the existing KEY rule. The SUS articulation will highlight in red because it now overlaps RAKE, but that's actually OK since RAKE is like a pre-articulation (we called it 'Extra Pick' in S2, but that wasn't really accurate).

I'm happy to take a look at your setup in S3 if you're still confused but you really only need the one VEL rule for these artics.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Thanks zircon.

Here is a link to a snapshot for Jupiter I've created where I have done (essentially) what you suggested. I can trigger hammer on/pull offs with this setup but NOT portamento.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zijew1eypxbuc ... .nksn?dl=0

Well, for some reason, I prefer playing than spending time setting things up, so for now, I'll stick with SRP2 which you can just fire.. and play with it!

With Serpent, I would first need to spend two hours fidlding with parameters to get the palm mute I want, the release I want... and I don't want anything special by the way... I just want to get the nice, easy, natural articulations I was used to with SRP2 !

Finally got a setting that is not too bad...
But in the end, I am wondering, why am I insisting with Serpent?
What are the advantages over SRP2? I have not been able to get a better sound...

I see there is more control on the details,but the result I get is always slightly less natural than with the standard SRP2 without touching any setting!

I am a bit tired of fiddling the controls to get a good sound I guess..
It might be useful for new users if you made another one of those videos where you make a solo and show off how to program articulations. Except maybe get super to the point like 'this is how you slide 'this is how you hammer/pull'.
ooh yes... because I am so upset that I am probably not using Serpent to its full potential, which is a pity...

Yep it is me again, this is funny, because the small guitar line I am trying to make work in Serpent has around... 4 notes :)

So now, next problem: I have a Palm Mute.... followed by a Hammer On. And yes, I am using velocities, not keyswitches. The Hammer On seems to be active when, logically, you don't release the first note while playing the second one. Works like a charm... with the Sustain articulation. But with the Mute... I am not able to make it work..

I guess people will answer me that I should use keyswitches, but I don't want. With SRP2 and velocity control, I can get a natural sound so easily! I want to be able to do the same in S3..

EDIT: being so upset and getting mad with all these @!~# settings just to get a decent sound, I decided to go the keyswitches route => impossible, I am unable to get a mute and then a hammer on or pull off!!! This is driving me nuts!! :bang: :bang:

Yeah that doesn't seem possible. I think the logic in s3 is that hammer on is a legato version of sustain, so you can only trigger hammer ons from sustains, and if you're doing it using velocities then the hammer on velocity range has to overlap the sustain velocity range.

It's decidedly less flexible than s2 was in this regard.

DrMEM wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:52 pm Yeah that doesn't seem possible. I think the logic in s3 is that hammer on is a legato version of sustain, so you can only trigger hammer ons from sustains, and if you're doing it using velocities then the hammer on velocity range has to overlap the sustain velocity range.

It's decidedly less flexible than s2 was in this regard.
Wow then I am happy I did not uninstall SRP2, and I won't use Serpent....
Seriously, I upgraded the day it was out, thinking I would get something new or better...

But I just lost two semitones (yes I can play with Kontakt tune to recover this lost extra tone),
and the ability to do hammer ons or pull offs after a palm mute...

Ok for the extra range.... but for the articulation that is lost... so there are 4 pages full of controls, with articulations I don't really need (the "rakes" and "chokes"), but basically, I can't play the most basic metal riffs that are the main reason I use these virtual guitars...

:(

The rakes were there in SRP as well ("Extra Pick", it was a misnomer), and chokes were there too IIRC.

I think it is not fair to say that you can't play "the most basic metal riffs" because demos obviously show that it's possible...
DrMEM wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:52 pm I think the logic in s3 is that hammer on is a legato version of sustain, so you can only trigger hammer ons from sustains, and if you're doing it using velocities then the hammer on velocity range has to overlap the sustain velocity range.
That's correct. Plus, there's timbral differences between mutes and sustained hammer-ons, which would make it sound unrealistic...

Return to “Impact Soundworks”