Shreddage 3 precision

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Precision is just so good once you get to grips with it.
The realism is stunning.
My only issues are not being able to select each string sepetately with a key switch and that the B string is horrible. Just buzzy, rattly and unusable.
However, as a 4 string its amazing.

You can definitely select strings with keyswitches - it's those orange keys up top :)

aha...thats great...many thanks

I would definitely agree that the B string is almost unusable. Very percussive. Event though this is probably fairly realistic, the reason this is a big issue is because the E string isn't sampled below E. So just dropping D and having it sound "normal" isn't possible. Just transposing the instrument still just selects a sample from the B string for notes below E. On real guitars this is a slight issue. On real basses it's much more pronounced. Each string has a very distinct timbre. I would love it if each string had been sampled down a whole step, then the E and B strings down 2 steps (for drop tunings).

It would be great if each of the library's product detail pages had the low and high tuning ranges listed for each string. For example Abyss is listed as "Drop A". It's unclear if that means the B string is sampled a step down or if all strings were sampled a step down.

And while I'm at it, I really hope in the future support for individual string tuning changes is added. This would help with string timbre issues associated with hand position.

Drop tuning usually means taking the lowest string and dropping it. Not dropping all strings down. If all strings would have been dropped down, the product details would say "A Standard" tuning, since that's the usual way to denote this.

In theory you can detune things yourself as they are now, by going to instrument edit mode, selecting all groups of a particular string for editing, then adjusting the Tune knob. Also making sure not to select any unpitched groups (chokes, noises, unpitched releases etc.)

Yeah about the drop tuning vs standard, I know that's technically what it means, but what that also means is that someone can't just get a 5 string bass library as a replacement for a 4 string. Same goes for guitar. Since this is the digital realm where the rules can be broken, it would make the product more versatile if it could be treated as both a 5 string in drop tuning (B to A) or a 4 string in drop tuning (E to D). So it might make sense to just provide the turnings for each string rather than try to use the terms like drop or standard.

Obviously being able to easily change each string by typing in the note would be much more user friendly than the process you described below. I'm not sure what Instrument Edit mode is and the only tune knob I see is the overall instrument tune knob that Kontact provides. Which doesn't look like it can be adjusted per articulation or string.

Click the wrench button in top left of the instrument header after you load Precision. From there, set Kontakt's left side panel to Expert->Groups.

AFAIK there are no immediate plans to add per-string tuning option on the GUI so this is the only way of doing what you want, today.

Thanks for the help. I don't see any wrench but I can get to the Expert>Groups, but it says no instrument selected for editing and I'm not sure how to select one. I'm using Kontact Player (6.3.2) inside Cubase. That wouldn't matter would it?

Wouldn't matter, the wrench is in the very top left of S3 GUI, to the left of patch name.

Still not seeing it. Should I be able to see it here?
shreddage3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ah, looks like in Kontakt Player editing is locked. Oh well.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:44 am In theory you can detune things yourself as they are now, by going to instrument edit mode, selecting all groups of a particular string for editing, then adjusting the Tune knob. Also making sure not to select any unpitched groups (chokes, noises, unpitched releases etc.)
Quite unfortunately this method would probably break sliding which I use a lot, since if you were to put it to -12 st for example then raise your notes an octave a lot of them are no longer slidable because there wouldn't be enough string to slide on :/ oh well

Does anyone have an example of what the updated B-string sounds like now though? Some new demos or something? I wanna know if it's worth switching from the free version...

Return to “Impact Soundworks”