"Shall Persist" - Progressive Metal - Shreddage 2

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic

I haven't been really active online recently due to some long hours at work, but a lull recently allowed me to get back to writing some new tracks. Here's a brand new Progressive Metal track I started on yesterday and just finished:

Please enjoy and leave feedback.
https://soundcloud.com/audiosupernova/shall-persist

I love the piano on this track. What piano are you using??

This feels like it could use vocals though. The leads are really nice but it doesn't feel very melodic if you know what I mean :)

warfighter67 wrote:I love the piano on this track. What piano are you using??

This feels like it could use vocals though. The leads are really nice but it doesn't feel very melodic if you know what I mean :)
Thanks! I'm using the free Sound Magic "Piano One". Yeah, I have to leave a bit of "room" so to speak, to allow vocals to really stand out when they're done. Full vocal work is coming on all 12 tracks, this one being the 10th one I've finished instrumentation on. I've already gotten started on them as well. I'll post those as I finish them too.

audiosupernova wrote:
warfighter67 wrote:I love the piano on this track. What piano are you using??

Thanks! I'm using the free Sound Magic "Piano One". Yeah, I have to leave a bit of "room" so to speak, to allow vocals to really stand out when they're done. Full vocal work is coming on all 12 tracks, this one being the 10th one I've finished instrumentation on. I've already gotten started on them as well. I'll post those as I finish them too.
Very cool! So do you plan out your albums, titles, etc all beforehand? Seems like the opposite of me. I just improvise everything on the fly, with usually no idea what I want to do with a song. It's why most of my songs don't follow structure and tend to be progressive.

In the case of the project I'm working on now, yeah I have it all planned out and organized. I planned out song titles, a plot outline/lyrical content, average song length, and I even ensure that every song is in a different key and chord progression. This was going to be a more vocally focused album from the get go so it's not quite as "prog" as some of my older works; a little more sing-songy if you will.

The song writing part is just basic improvisation. I find a root key/chord that I like, say a diminished D flat minor, then work all my key changes and chord progressions off of that.

My first album was much more prog focused simply because it was intended to be an instrumental, so there was no need for traditional song structure. Not that you can't have vocals with ultra progressive rock/metal, but I personally don't think 15-20 minute songs work well as vocal tracks, so I'm sticking to 4-6 minute tracks.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”