Shreddage 3 and workflow

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, Shreddage team! I've been using Shreddage for a while and it's been incredible for getting realistic guitar sounds. I'm making the leap to Shreddage 3, which is a bit of a change but I'm beginning to see how things can sound even better.

The new way things are set up with keyswitches to toggle between staccato/mutes/sustains and so on and activate and deactivate slides has seemed very awkward - having to shoot up and down the MIDI scale and make sure the keyswitch inputs are aligned with where I want them to be makes inputting notes take a lot more time-consuming than it used to be, especially in high parts where the keyswitches are physically further away from the melody. This elongated screenshot demonstrates it with even a simple part with few keyswitch changes - in a real scenario, they can't fit on the same screen so there's a lot of scrolling: https://i.imgur.com/bcJmyCY.png

I know that I can remap everything through TACT, but I feel there must have been a way that it was set up this way to start with and I'd like to give it a fair chance before I remap it all back the way it was - is there a way I can change my workflow to better suit the keyswitch system? I'm using Reaper, primarily track music with the mouse but use a cheap music keyboard for some parts, and am an amateur, so anything you can suggest might come as a huge revelation to me :)

Thanks!

Keyswitches are usually the most familiar to most people so that's why they are used for the default mapping, but yes, if you like, you can for sure remap all articulations to MIDI CCs, this is why TACT is there. Certain other functionality that is on keyswitches (strumming, string selection, etc.) remains on keyswitches, but you can MIDI learn stuff like string selection etc.

My workflow with keyswitches is to generally write the notes first, and then scroll down lower in the piano roll and write the keyswitches after that, so you're not constantly switching.

Making a velocity-based setup should only take a couple minutes and you only need to do it once, so it may be worth your time!
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

It's a year later, but I just wanted to follow up here - after several false starts at Shreddage 3 I discovered that in Reaper you could rename MIDI notes on the piano roll by double right clicking on them. This has instantly transformed my Shreddage 3 experience from awkward to very smooth :) Thank you for the input!

Return to “Impact Soundworks”