Per Voice MIDI control

Official support for: sonigen.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Sonigen Modular is really an exceptional synth!
Would it be difficult or CPU-wise expensive to apply modulation via midi events only to those voices whose note on events were sent on the same channel as the controller events? (That would only apply to voice process modules, static modules would continue to listen to all midi channels). That would make per voice midi control possible which would open new worlds for expressive playing.

Greetings,
NothanUmber

NothanUmber wrote: Sonigen Modular is really an exceptional synth!
Would it be difficult or CPU-wise expensive to apply modulation via midi events only to those voices whose note on events were sent on the same channel as the controller events? (That would only apply to voice process modules, static modules would continue to listen to all midi channels). That would make per voice midi control possible which would open new worlds for expressive playing.
That's a really interesting idea! I'll have to investigate it but i think it would be pretty cheap CPU wise, it'll be a fair amount of work to implement though.

Out of interest do you know of any other synths that have such feature? It'd be helpful to check it out and see how it works. :)

Thanks
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

I'm not sure about software synths, but in hardware, see the Matrix 1000 or Matrix 6 manual, it's called "guitar mode" or "mono mode", and of course, various guitar synths (like GR-55, called "mono mode").
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Hi sonigen,

thanks for considering this!
There are currently only few synths I know of that allow this: impOSCar 1 offers that feature for pitch bend and selected CCs or Poly-Ana at least for pitch bend.
And you can "mis-use" multitimbral synths like Omnisphere or Kontakt for that by loading the same patch into all slots (what is not optimal for sound design because you have to replicate your changes to all slots before you can really try it as intended).
Another (but CPU wise expensive) solution is to use a subhost that has midi-split capabilities and load several instances of the same synth with the same patch into it - that works with virtually any synth but additional to CPU resources it's also not too comfortable for sound patching.
And there are specific sound sources that are not VSTS/AUs e.g. a few that come with EigenD (cello, clarinette, a simple synth, a soundfont player etc.), the runtime software for the Eigenharps (instruments which allow three degrees of freedom per key, so they really benefit from poly-modulatable synths). Those do not use midi but are directly using the internal format of EigenD (currently proprietary, later planned to be some sort of OSC as far as I read). (In order to download EigenD binaries you have to own one of their instruments but there is also an open source version available for Mac and Windows: https://github.com/Eigenlabs/EigenD )

Thanks again for your interest in considering such a feature!

Greetings,
NothanUmber

Return to “Sonigen”