CIRCUIT BENDING ... Mini forum in a single thread !!!

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:i'm a little baby and cant communicate at an intelligent level. things you say make me sad and hurt my ego. awo, my ego :(. waah waah.
:?

aciddose wrote:i'm a little baby and cant communicate at an intelligent level. things you say make me sad and hurt my ego. awo, my ego :(. waah waah.
no fix needed.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

apart from the fact that you obviously don't like each other very much the only real difference seems that aciddose is talking about getting the led to light up with the minimum of fuss and wasted leds and whyterabbyt is talking about enjoying the trial and error.

circuit bending seems to me to be about this enjoyment and while the results are often inefficient and sometimes very odd they can also throw up some fantastic toys (dare i say instruments)

i don't think that knowledge of electronics is a barrier to enjoying circuit bending, and some of the videos i've seen recently the guys producing stuff often have a fair degree of knowledge.

but,

a lack of knowledge is not a barrier to circuit bending either and in fact often throws up interesting results, but even if it doesn't the bender? has fun anyway.

sorry for interrupting :wink: but i've been reading this thread for a while now and its very cool, i've learnt and enjoyed a lot, and it seems like a poor choice of venue to get pissy at each other.

rosllow.

rosllow wrote: the only real difference seems that aciddose is talking about getting the led to light up with the minimum of fuss and wasted leds and whyterabbyt is talking about enjoying the trial and error.
i think the real difference is that i'm saying that no formal knowledge of electronics is required to proceed with circuit bending and get useful and entertaining results, and that aciddose has repeatedly stated that circuit bending is entirely useless unless one bases it around that formal knowledge.
i'll just make it clear that, despite his repeated assertions to the contrary, I have never claimed that one must eschew any theory, only that it isnt required. aciddose however has repeatedly and categorically stated that it is required.

Here's aciddose, again and again, telling people the same thing:
aciddose wrote:once again: you cant go anywhere with "circuit bending" without having some basic knowledge of electronics.
aciddose wrote:circuit bending methodology is only useful if your time is worthless.
aciddose wrote:the point was to say that you'll never get to accomplish anything more than breaking / messing up cheap toys
aciddose wrote:again: you can not get anywhere in circuit bending without knowing some additional basic rules.
aciddose wrote:i honestly do not care about circuit bending! i only said you cant go anywhere with it's methods.
aciddose wrote:my point was: you can not correctly light an led without understanding the function of the thing and implementing that function using the correct methods.
aciddose wrote:if you want to add an led to your circuit bend, you must know ohm's law and other important electrical bits of wisdom.
this thread has been around for a couple of years, full of people who have posted proving that they have achieved all of the things aciddose has said are impossible.

that proves you can, and I can, and anyone else can, but aciddose is quite deliberate in his refusal to accept any single thing any bender here has posted as proof that people can, and do achieve useful results without any reliance on ohm's law or any other formal knowledge of electronics. he will not accept that his assertions are not true. he wont even accept being informed what bending is.
aciddose wrote:i certainly will not let you say that anything i have said is wrong
I think I'll just repeat something else, remembering the point of this entire thread in the first place
aciddose wrote:i honestly do not care about circuit bending!

whyterabbyt wrote:
this thread has been around for a couple of years, full of people who have posted proving that they have achieved all of the things aciddose has said are impossible.
i know, i've been reading it, very cool, just didn't want it to degenerate really as the cool stuff gets lost in the argument.

feel free to ignore me though.

cheers,

rosllow.

"aciddose has repeatedly stated that circuit bending is entirely useless unless one bases it around that formal knowledge."

where have i said this even once? your statement is absolutely false.

this is exactly the kind of childish "reading-in" i was referring to before. why do you feel some need to defend and "prove" your methods to the world? i never said a damn thing about your methods other than that they're completely backwards if anyone wants to achieve some specific goal. if you want to end up at #2935 14th street, you don't start at #0001 1st street and go door to door in a grid.. :shrug:

aciddose wrote:"aciddose has repeatedly stated that circuit bending is entirely useless unless one bases it around that formal knowledge."

where have i said this even once?
:roll: :roll:
aciddose wrote:once again: you cant go anywhere with "circuit bending" without having some basic knowledge of electronics.
aciddose wrote:again: you can not get anywhere in circuit bending without knowing some additional basic rules.
aciddose wrote:i honestly do not care about circuit bending! i only said you cant go anywhere with it's methods.

aciddose wrote:if you want to end up at #2935 14th street, you don't need to start by learning town planning theory
fixed that for you

actually, you do. you need to know which direction the streets go in, and which direction the numbers go in with respect to the streets. here in canada we have numbers increasing to the south past avenues and then crossing up numbered streets to the east in sections across our cities. anybody in canada already knows this sub-consciously so we don't actually need to join the city-planning-101 class to find our destination. we however have had to learn at some point in our lives the basic rules which help us operate more efficiently.

where in any of those quotes you've got did i say "circuit bending is absolutely useless without studying a lot of stuff" or whatever? i haven't said that, and i have a perfect memory unlike a lot of others around on this forum. apparently you're remembering me saying that sort of thing because you imagined that i said it at some point in the past without actually having read it. you are so certain that i have said it that you are asserting i've said it in the quotes you've posted without actually reading and finding that i clearly have not.

aciddose wrote:actually, you do. you need to know which direction the streets go in, and which direction the numbers go in with respect to the streets.
which is nothing to do with town planning.
The Royal Town Planning Institute wrote:Planning involves twin activities - the management of the competing uses for space, and the making of places that are valued and have identity. These activities focus on the location and quality of social, economic and environmental change

aciddose wrote:where in any of those quotes you've got did i say "circuit bending is absolutely useless without studying a lot of stuff" or whatever?
uhuh.
i have a perfect memory unlike a lot of others around on this forum.
right.

apparently you're remembering me saying that sort of thing because you imagined that i said it at some point in the past without actually having read it.
really.
you are so certain that i have said it that you are asserting i've said it in the quotes you've posted without actually reading and finding that i clearly have not.
sure.

"... which is nothing to do with town planning."

i'm pretty sure that if the town placed the numbers backwards that would influence things. you sort of have to plan out all the numbered blocks and streets ahead of time, which is the very essence of planning a town. that other business is an after-thought, it's referring to the process of developing a town, not planning one initially.

if you want to discuss the development and zoning/rezoning of cities, that is all very well, however what does this have to do with either circuit bending or my street-navigation example?

aciddose wrote:i'm pretty sure that if the town placed the numbers backwards that would influence things. you sort of have to plan out all the numbered blocks and streets ahead of time, which is the very essence of planning a town. that other business is an after-thought, it's referring to the process of developing a town, not planning one initially.
of course. you're the expert, and the RTPI have got it wrong. everybody starts with the street numbering system, and thinks about the town facilities after that. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

just as well towns and cities dont use arbitrary street names. :-o :-o

stop trying to divert the topic at hand, fool.

my point was that "town planning" as you have described has absolutely nothing to do with my example of street navigation.
fool wrote:you don't need to jump up three times and tap your toes together to circuit bend.
well, gee, thanks for that tip, cpt.obvious!

aciddose wrote:i keep trying to divert the topic at hand
fixed that for you.
my point was that "town planning" as you have described has absolutely nothing to do with my example of street navigation.
no that was my point. it clearly went way over your head. here it is again so your perfect memory can give it another go.
if you want to end up at #2935 14th street, you don't need to start by learning town planning theory

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”