Pictures of your builds!

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A 'modular' spring reverb - you can plug in different tanks (or other resonators). It's based around Sabro Tone's version of runoffgroove's Splitter Blend, with a small amp driving the spring and an adapted pre-amp for the return.

I've found that drivers removed from old NXT flat speakers work really well for both ends of the spring and, luckily, I can find these dirt cheap in the junk stores around Tokyo.

A tank from a previous project - spring tension can be altered:
These things can sound quite odd, especially if driven hard.

For a more natural reverb, however, a proper tank works best - this one came from an old mic mixer/karaoke amp.

I'll try and follow up with some audio, if anyone's interested.
Cheers

of course .. audio or didn't happen :)
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

It looks very nice !

Awesome :tu:

knockman wrote:A 'modular' spring reverb - you can plug in different tanks (or other resonators). It's based around Sabro Tone's version of runoffgroove's Splitter Blend, with a small amp driving the spring and an adapted pre-amp for the return.

I'll try and follow up with some audio, if anyone's interested.
Cheers
Looks great! Would love to hear some audio examples.

I actually tried to do a grass roots spring reverb and it didn't come out sounding so hot. I'm really curious how that thing sounds.

SJ_Digriz wrote:I actually tried to do a grass roots spring reverb and it didn't come out sounding so hot. I'm really curious how that thing sounds.
There's been a lot of trial and error and times when it lay abandoned. I tried the usual piezo pick-up route but was never really taken with the results. I've spent hours messing about with coils, magnets and transformers but ultimately got the best results from those NXT drivers which are just speakers without the cones. As mentioned above, it can sound odd but it is tweakable enough for certain uses.

I'll post some audio/video in a few days. I've got a hectic start to the week but then a little free time.
Cheers

knockman wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:I actually tried to do a grass roots spring reverb and it didn't come out sounding so hot. I'm really curious how that thing sounds.
There's been a lot of trial and error and times when it lay abandoned. I tried the usual piezo pick-up route but was never really taken with the results. I've spent hours messing about with coils, magnets and transformers but ultimately got the best results from those NXT drivers which are just speakers without the cones. As mentioned above, it can sound odd but it is tweakable enough for certain uses.

I'll post some audio/video in a few days. I've got a hectic start to the week but then a little free time.
Cheers
I could never get the noise floor low enough, it was either really noisy or really distorted. But, I was trying to be "creative"... I was likely being an idiot :lol: I'll probably give it another go at some point, but I'll use tried and true designs.

Here's a quick video to show how it can sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2BpxBO ... e=youtu.be
Cheers

that's awesome knockman :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:that's awesome knockman :tu:
Thanks Hink :) Listening again, I wish I'd focused more on playing the guitar better. I knew it was sloppy when I was videoing it but now I find it shocking!

Oh well...next time

Spring tank idea thing is great!. - no pedals to-date offer such true to life fenderish springs. - always way too digital!.

..Watching...

first prototype, midi/dinsync/uart over analog(ue) audio
made via experiments in falstad's circuit simulator, with huge help from the guys at ##music-electronics @ irc.freenode.net
designed in KiCad
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Here's my build of the O2 Minipops, Jan Ostman's Arduino drum machine based on the Korg MiniPops7

I attempted trying to create a a way of having 16 indent positions on a standard potentiometer but ultimately it proved unreliable - lack of true linearity meant patterns weren't properly selected at the farthest throws of the pot.
Scrapped that idea and went for a 12 position rotary switch and a series of resistors instead. Meant losing 4 patterns, but I can get by without Hard Rock, Slow Rock, Swing, and Jazz Rock, and I'll probably have a go at putting some of my own patterns in there once I've gotten tired of the current selection.

MIDI clock and Sync out options included:

Jan's code: https://janostman.wordpress.com/the-o2-source-code/

And a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqyjSA_4SuY

Great work. The spring reverbs are awesome too!

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”