Circuit Bent Casio SA-8

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Long time lurker, first post...

Here a picture and other details of my circuit bent Casio SA-8 with a bunch of extra controls etc.

List of controls is from memory, so may contain minor errors:

Top Row: Jack out, Volume Knob, Reset button, Internal Speaker on/off, Power Led, 6V power in

Second Row: Feedback Knob, Feedback Amount, 5th (on/off/on), Distortion, Distortion Knob, Glitch, Glitch Knob

Third Row: Cowbell (extra sound), Extra demo 1, Extra Demo 2, Extra Demo 3 (currently incorrectly wired?)

Fourth Row: Hidden sound buttons (allows 100 sounds in conjunction with pre-existing blue buttons - instead of just 25)

This instrument features extensively on my forthcoming track, Vive la Difference, which I hope to release in next few days.

thank you for sharing this and making this forum your first choice when it came to your first post :tu:

It looks great, looking forward to hearing it :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Awesome :tu:
Can't wait to hear it in action :)

Cheers
Dennis

Thanks for the nice comments

I have to confess I do post to other forums too - including pics of this gadget, it's just my first post on the KVR forum.

By the way, I'm using 3 sounds from this on my new track.

1. Twiddling the feedback knob at various points to produce various bizarre squealing sounds.

2. The cowbell, which sounds like a fairly ordinary lofi (8bit sample?) cowbell, but is interesting because it's not normally available on the SA-8

3. The "sampled percussion patch" (which sounds nothing like any sampled percussion I've ever previously heard, and I don't think is actually sampled at all), which again is normally a hidden sound, on the SA-8.

Anyway, you'll hear the track soon - I don't know what the rules about posting links to this forum are - I'm currently doing a bit of clean up on the vocals, and then I'll post it.

My song using this gadget is now out.

The Casio SA-8 is used in the intro, for a brief moment after the first chorus, and in the bridge/solo section after the 2nd verse. The bent sounds used are the feedback, the "sampled percussion" hidden sound patch with distortion (which doesn't sound like any percussion I've ever heard before), and, of course, cowbell (normally a hidden sound on the SA-8).

I will warn you before listening, it contains some swearing, so please don't listen if offended by this.

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_8747135

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”