Guitar scratchplates

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any tips on cutting a scratchplate/pickguard?

Got a replacement for my strat copy that doesn't quite fit (neck recess too shallow mainly). Quite a brittle three ply tortoise shell one (ie. not the material a normal white one is made from).

I'm guessing the finer the junior hacksaw blade the better (removing the big areas) then file down? Have got a rotary tool so can finish off with that maybe.

Thanks.

mmmmm...depending on how brittle that material might be you might want to use a very fine blade on that then just sand down from there. If you are using a dremel tool with that be careful to not overdo the sanding..those plates do get pretty warm....
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote:If you are using a dremel tool with that be careful to not overdo the sanding..those plates do get pretty warm....
you think there could be a danger of the plate melting? Hadn't considered that... Thanks.

I use a dremel with a cutoff wheel on a slower speed...yes there is a little melting but it is the chip that meltst and melts back onto where you cut it and typically does'n not affect the cut. After that I use one of those white buffing wheels to clean it up (be careful those white wheels will remove material as well)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

if you're going to use a saw use a coping saw and not a hack saw.

OT but in my 52 years I have met less than a dozen people (besides teachers and other students I went to school with) that know how to use a hack saw. For instance most people cut as fast as possible and I have won many a bet (when I was a kid) over this. Cutting most metals the optimum stroke rate is 55 strokes a minute and if you go real fast you dull the blade too fast and will take longer to cut (aluminum and softer metals are a different story to some extent because the blade dulls slower). Also hacksaws only cut on the forward stroke so relieve your pressure on the return stroke (there are some carbide blades that cut in both diretions but chnaces are most users wont have them).

To select the proper gauge (fine, medium etc) the rule of thumbs is that atleast three teeth are in contact with the material...so if you're cutting thin plastic you need a very fine blade or it will chip when each tooth hits the plastic. This is true with coping and hack saws but coping saws will cut in both directions.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Cheers Hink, most helpful.

I'll put the electric jigsaw away then. ;)

I cut a Fender 3ply pickguard from a blank sheet. I used a router for the cutting, and a small file to butt fit the p-90 pickups. Its quite easy stuff to work with. I haven't got many pics online at the moment, only these.

Original guard testing router.

Router Template

P-90 hole Template

Finished Pic of guard mounted

That's really nice, I think the knob arrangement would drive me mad (very sloppy player, would be forever knocking them :)) but still very cool.

So, tackled mine the other day; turns out the fretboard overhang was a lot longer than I thought and I only had to shave a couple of mms from the plate with a curved needle file. Material was a lot softer than I imagined too when actually working it.

Will post pics once restrung.

GaryG wrote:That's really nice, I think the knob arrangement would drive me mad (very sloppy player, would be forever knocking them :)) but still very cool.

So, tackled mine the other day; turns out the fretboard overhang was a lot longer than I thought and I only had to shave a couple of mms from the plate with a curved needle file. Material was a lot softer than I imagined too when actually working it.

Will post pics once restrung.
It is actually quite an easy material to work with. I was initially afraid it would fracture or chip. It also holds a good edge and it bevels well, I can see why they use it.

I play tested the guard design for about a month with a cardboard one to make sure the knobs and switch was clear. I have long arms so pick slightly towards the neck from the neck pickup. I was worried more about hitting the switch but don't go anywhere near the pots. :)

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”