DIY Vocal Booth (Recording booth)

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

signupz wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:49 am Im confused, is this DIY or did you "buy what you liked" for $3-4k?
I meant to say that I didn't take my time to shop around for parts and material. I'm just not a smart shopper in general and when I want to get something done, it has to be done right away...that is if I can afford it. The whole thing was built from scratch in my garage.

Forgotten wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:23 am
meldavid wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:45 am Impressive stuff. I'm going to bookmark this for the future when/if I get a studio. Right now I just have a bedroom. :(

Not a pro, so I have no experience with this stuff. What do you think of those small screen things that wrap around your mic that aim to be a vocal booth?

I have heard mixed things about those mic surrounds, and they only really work for something directional like vocals.

One cheap way to get a reasonable booth is to make one by hanging heavy blankets. It's not perfect, but you can avoid most of the background noise and reflections in your recording space. Best thing about trying it out with blankets is that you can try various permutations without making something permanent.
the foam ones are decent

these however have a nasty reflection that is probably only better if you record in a really horrible room.

+1 on heavy blankets.

Great idea, and an ambitious build. Personally, I think an inch thick layer of rigid fiberglass would be a simple way to improve performance. Sculpted foam is much less sonically absorbent than rigid fiberglass.

Michael_Hoffman wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:26 pm Wow, this looks excellent! im in the the process of building my home studio and have been looking for great DIY ideas to build a vocal booth under a budget. I see you posted this was a bout 3k - 4k range. Im just curious if there were options within your build that may have had cheaper prices? Not that im trying to be cheap, im just on about a 1k - 2k budget at the moment.
Thank you! You can definitely do this with a lower budget. Like I said before, I did not shop around for cheaper prices. If I needed something, I just went ahead and bought it. If you have the patience to look for deals, you can totally build this with 2k-3k budget. Lose the window. It's really not needed.

My vocal booth is about to find a new home. I'm in the process of remodeling/converting my garage into the studio. It's going to be ONE all purpose room and I no longer need the booth. Will make a new thread about that project soon.

herodotus wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:39 pm Great idea, and an ambitious build. Personally, I think an inch thick layer of rigid fiberglass would be a simple way to improve performance. Sculpted foam is much less sonically absorbent than rigid fiberglass.
That's probably a good idea. What type of rigid fiberglass you're thinking about? Like Owen's 703 stuff?

I'm confused...are the plans available, or are you just showing pictures?

Thanks, Dave

RangerDave wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:26 pm I'm confused...are the plans available, or are you just showing pictures?

Thanks, Dave
I was just showing pictures of an older DIY project.

Great build, looks very nice :) Do you have a link for that tablet holder? How's the gooseneck on it? I've been looking for something like that but haven't seen that model before.

RVSagar wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:28 pm Great build, looks very nice :) Do you have a link for that tablet holder? How's the gooseneck on it? I've been looking for something like that but haven't seen that model before.
Trust me, I bought a bunch of different holder solutions and none worked out for this particular purpose. I know the top part is an 'Air Turn Manos mount' for sure. But I don't remember if I replaced the lower section with a different mount or not. Some goosenecks are too weak, but this one is flexible and yet rigid enough to stay in place. I'll check it out later. Maybe I'll take some better close ups of this holder. I no longer have the booth, but still have the tablet holder.

meldavid wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:45 am Not a pro, so I have no experience with this stuff. What do you think of those small screen things that wrap around your mic that aim to be a vocal booth?
Personally, I think it gets some flack for not being that "bang for the buck" as other acoustic treatment options. It doesn't make that big of a difference until sound bouncing back to the microphone become s an issue, so loud vocals, for example, some throat rattling singing. But things like voiceover and etc., will not really benefit as much.
Take care :wink:

Very nice! Looks great!

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”