justin3am's ARP 1601 clone build

...and how to do so...
justin3am
KVRAF
10984 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:57 am

While I eagerly await my Karp 2600, I decided I would like to pair it with a 1601 sequencer. I learned about this project on the muffwigler forum (Arp 1601 Sequencer clone and was excited to find that Synthcube sells PCB's front panels, parts kits and enclosures. https://synthcube.com/cart/1601-sequencer-diy

I found some additional information, including links to the service manual for calibration and a build guide, here: https://www.dsl-man.de/display/TTSHADDONS/Arp1601

The kit from synthcube also includes a simple clock divider: https://github.com/foxacid/1601-addons

The kit was very easy to assemble, it took about 12 hours total and the mechanical assembly was pretty straight forward. That said, the documentation for the build is a bit scattered. For example, I couldn't find the bom pdf for the rev 5 board on the synthcube site. I eventually found the links in a post in the build thread. Luckily most of the baggies which contained the components, listed their part numbers. I didn't see a wiring diagram, but the connections are pretty simple.

When i opened the package from Synthcube, I was surprised to find that the circuit board is practically the size of a skate board. :lol:

I got one of these tools for bending component legs with something I assembled recently. Comes in handy when building projects with lots of diodes and resistors (this project has more than 200 resistors!).

Three SOIC packages are the only SMT parts on this board. The rest of the parts are thru-hole.

All resistors and sockets done.

Caps.

Voltage regulator.

Trimmers.

Faders, jacks and push-button switches.

The included switches don't fit in this version of the circuit board. I followed the suggestion of someone on the MW forum, and simply twisted the top and bottom leads, 90 degrees.

The 1/4" foot switch jack didn't fit in either of the pre-drilled holes, so I widened one of them a bit.

Finally, I assembled the clock divider. This is mostly surface mount parts.

All done!

BertKoor
KVRAF
11851 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Re: justin3am's ARP 1601 clone build

Post Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:31 pm

justin3am wrote: All done!
:party:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

Forgotten
KVRAF
11472 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:14 pm

Very cool, and love the build pics!

V0RT3X
KVRAF
8291 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Alesia

Post Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:58 pm

Wicked !~
:borg:

justin3am
KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:24 pm

Thanks! It takes a little longer to finish a build when I take pictures along the way but somehow, I'm less likely to make dumb mistakes when I do so. I still made a dumb mistake this time but I caught it before letting any magic smoke out. :lol:

vurt
addled muppet weed
65518 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:18 am

thats a lovely piece of work 8)

justin3am
KVRAF

Post Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:39 pm

Thanks! I'm really happy with the way it came out. I managed to keep myself from scuffing up the front panel.
I used it to sequence my Minibrute 2 and 0-Coast over the weekend and had a lot of fun. Though it seems pretty simple on the surface, it's very well thought out. I'll definitely be putting some videos together once I have the time.

Goseba
KVRAF
1965 posts since 13 Jun, 2004 from Back in the UK

Post Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:48 pm

Nice looking build there.
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”