KVRwiki: Please don't add plug-ins and hosts

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Please do not make KVRwiki entries specific actual Plug-ins or Hosts (such as Reaktor, Cubase, etc.) as these already exist in the KVR Database. Plug-ins and Hosts should simply be referenced on other pages, and linked to as required, either to their KVR Database entry, or their home page.

For example, a page about Modular Synthesis may mention Reaktor, VOID, etc. (and link to their relevant entry in the KVR database).
Last edited by Ben [KVR] on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DELETED

Jonny X wrote:can the wiki lexicon point to the kvr get pages for hosts or not? I've assumed this is considered an advert and removed EngeryXT until this is confirmed. Appologies if this is allowed.
They shouldn't really have their own entry, no. But if they are mentioned in other pages then they can be linked to the KVR database or the plug-in's official page.
Jonny X wrote:Also, is it just me or is the Lexicon going to become no more than an alphabetical index of the wiki?
To some extent, yes. Although only acronyms and terminology should really be listed there. Tutorials should go on a separate page, and any other sections we add should not go in the lexicon.

What about entries for specific hardware (eg the 303 entry, or the UAD-1 entry). Should that be the same as for plugins et.c.?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

DELETED

Maybe they'd be best covered in some sort of 'history' pages?

Maybe we need a 'History of Synthesisers' perhaps, along with a 'History of Synthesis'.

DELETED

Jonny X wrote:Perhaps? The TR-808 has a very nice page, it would be a shame to get rid of it, maybe exclusions can be made for these 3 synths because of their huge importance, as well as maybe letting moog have a page?
But then, once you've decided 'importance' is a factor, why not the DX7, The Pro-5, the Fairlight, the Emulator II, the LinnDrum, the Simmons Drum Kit, the Akai MPC, the TRT606 the Clap Machine and a whole swathe of other things.

Plus 303/808/909 are only 'important' within one genre of music, and almost accidentally so. They're not necessarily important to music in general. Certainly not compared to the Minimoog, the DX7, or the Rhodes.

Maybe Ben could give some guidance on how much 'synth specific' information can go into the wiki and how to arrange it?
Thats whay I asked, yeah.
maybe a history which links to external sites for the diferent synths would be the best method??? That way we could have a large scope for synths while keeping it simple. Unsure :shrug: 808/909 are important to music and KvR...
I dont think they are that important to 'music', nor do I see them as specifically important to KVR. Not, say, compared to something like Reaktor, which more or less defined a whole VSTi market, which has already been nay-sayed.

An awkward one. Personally I don't have a problem with iconic hardware items being added - 303 808 909 in particular, but that's probably because they have meaning to me.

Plug-ins are a bit different because we already have pages dedicated to them here at KVR, so adding them to the wiki could end up with 2000 extra wiki pages that are not a lot more than repetition of the normal KVR db.

I'm still torn. There are some iconic plug-ins, such as Reaktor, that may well deserve their own entry in the wiki...

:shrug:

erm...

I think DSP cards should probably be grouped together in a DSP Cards section. Maybe hardware could come together under a hardware synthesis section.

Thoughts?

Surely, the synths should mentioned in context (and linked to their KVR page), but not in their own right. That's what the rest of KVR is for?

E.g. Reaktor gets a link within modular

Otherwise the Wiki is going to become bloated v.v.quickly and be open to abuse too. Who's going to be looking over it in the coming months for entries which are abusive/overly promoting any individual items?

Just my thoughts anyway...
Mild-mannered web designer by day - tired web designer by night.

I think there should be a 303 page, but it shouldn't necessarily be about the TB303 but about the 303 "sound". Same with 808 and 909. Not so much the Juno because its sound is rather classified as a "Hoover" (I think it was the juno).

I notice someone has added a page for 'Dashboard' one of the features in FL Studio; should this kind of thing fall under the 'no plugins/hosts' rule?

whyterabbyt wrote:should this kind of thing fall under the 'no plugins/hosts' rule?
I think it does. The entry doesn't really provide any information beyond "this is a feature in FL." For the same reason, there isn't an entry called "Warp function" given that that function in Live can fall under timestretch or audio quantize or whatever.

I agree, so I've deleted it.

I've also deleted several other pages that are not audio related at all! Broadband, Lamer Speak, ...

Return to “Site Stuff”