New News Page Look

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Firefox 2, OS X 10.4.8, MacPro (I've had a very few issues with some web apps that don't like intel machines)

Looks very nice.. Only niggle is that the icon for the company seems to overlap any text in the top line. See screengrab below

I think the vertical line suggested by shamann would be excellent. Get the advert out there so that kvr can continue to live on without worries, but still make it clear what the product being announced is.

cheers,
dorian
Mac O/S 11.6.5; MBPro 2018 2.2, 560X, 32GB, 1TB
Logic Pro 10.6.3
Scarlett 2i2, Akai MPD218, EMU XBoard 49

Ben [KVR] wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:What's different?
Are you using IE6? If so you won't see the difference.
I was because I was at work but now I'm at home using Firefox 2 and it still looks the same. I have disabled google syndication and flash adds though.

aMUSEd wrote:
Ben [KVR] wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:What's different?
Are you using IE6? If so you won't see the difference.
I was because I was at work but now I'm at home using Firefox 2 and it still looks the same. I have disabled google syndication and flash adds though.
Are you looking at the front page or individual news item pages?

dven wrote:Firefox 2, OS X 10.4.8, MacPro (I've had a very few issues with some web apps that don't like intel machines)

Looks very nice.. Only niggle is that the icon for the company seems to overlap any text in the top line. See screengrab below
Fixed now.

Front page - yes?

aMUSEd wrote:Front page - yes?
No. We went through this on the first page. :smack:

But I clicked on some of the individual items too.

I see now its not all of them (e.g the top 3 items are all normal so I assumed it couldn't be that after all)

Ben [KVR] wrote: Fixed now.
Excellent!

Still think the vertical line might be a nice touch, but that's just my $.03 (inflation) - and adding another div would be.....annoying at best (I do the same sort of stuff....and would like to ban IE in all incarnations)

dorian
Mac O/S 11.6.5; MBPro 2018 2.2, 560X, 32GB, 1TB
Logic Pro 10.6.3
Scarlett 2i2, Akai MPD218, EMU XBoard 49

shamann wrote:I agree about the distraction of the advert.

If I look at this page in firefox v1.5.0.9:

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/6659.html

It's fine, since the advert pushes to the bottom. I can see it, but it doesn't overwhelm the text and graphics of the news item. But if I look at this one:

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/6662.html

The advert falls to the side and seems to be the main focus of the page, more obvious than the text and to close to the company logo. I think it'd make more sense if there was a demarcation between the text and the advert. Like if the advert always fell to the side, and everything related to the news item fell to the other side.

Even something as simple as this, a vertical bisecting line forcing a fixed width on the text of the news item and a little extra space above the advert:

This is a good way to do it. Right now the whole focus is the advertisement.

It looks nice and all, but I urge you to select a different background color than white.

A darker color would be preferred, much like the 'old style' or the way the main parts of the current site are.. plain white is too bright to be looking at for more than a few moments here, then it starts to seriously fatigue my eyes.
Last edited by VitaminD on Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fx 2/Ubuntu 6.10, no problems here. Looks snazzy. Using .pngs for the rounded corners?

Groet, Erik
Pop music delenda est.

A new look indeed:

But that was a navigation error by me, not the "new look" at all :hihi:
I wonder how many people got to that site by accident...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I like the general look very much but would agree with VitaminD that the background being white is just too intense. Even one shade towards grey would be helpful.
Pythagorean perennialist.

I use a lot the quick link to the KVR page listing the product. I don't like it being buried in a Related Products section at the end of the news item. For starters, it is the product, not a related product. Secondly, I have to scroll to get to it. Since both the news heading and manufacturer's logo link to the manufacturer's page, perhaps one of these links could go to the KVR product listing instead. Either that, or add the product listing link on the some line as the plugin / host type logos.

I'm also not keen on the ads flowing in with the text. I understand the need for them to be prominent, but flowed with the text is too distracting. So I also vote for Shamann's suggestion.

The related products should be more on the top of the page, but the rest is nice!

Return to “Site Stuff”