Can we get a like button here?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hink wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:01 pm
TheMaestro wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:13 am
Hink wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:31 pm
TheMaestro wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:30 pm
Hink wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:22 pm well I dont know if Ben can see it but I cannot. I gotta say that somewhere a line has to be drawn, yes targeting is an issue and should be dealt with but asking us to chase down likes and dislikes too might just be asking a bit much ;)
It's for good reason sites doesn't have a "dislike" button.
For this site to implement this is going 10 years backwards. We don't need that extra "fuel" for disgruntled morons.

And why are the like/dislikes anonymized in the first place?
first you will see I removed a line, do not use that word here...period

second, I have nothing to do with the buttons, not my table :shrug:
Then tell Ben. Or are you here only to censor words you personally don’t like while people like bones roams freely?
no, I make sure trolls dont use hate words...I really dont care if you like it or not...educate yourself and read "rosa's law"

Now I'm off to work, did you know both my son and I work at a residence/kids for kids with spectrum disorders and specific behavior issues? We deal with kids who go into crisis because of that word, who have been subjected to that word for far too long, so hence the need for rosa's law. It really take an insensitive human being to try and even defend using it, but you want tro try and use your ignorance for an attack on me.
Its clinical term used on people is removed and moot, so take it the way I meant it, as its original intent. No one used it towards a person.
And you’re a proclaimed pothead. So don’t lecture anyone on law.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

apparently he did not read rosa's law
Rosa's Law (Pub. L. 111-256) is a United States law which replaces several instances of "mental retardation" in law with "intellectual disability". The bill was introduced as S.2781 in the United States Senate on November 17, 2009, by Barbara Mikulski (D-MD). It passed the Senate unanimously on August 5, 2010, then the House of Representatives on September 22, and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on October 5
no...no it is no longer a clinical term, that was the whole point :dog:

edit, that post also demonstrates the urgency of the law, why it passed so easily and the damage from insensitive people who think attaching such negativity to a term and casually bantering the word around with no regard has no victims.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Gamma-UT wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:58 am I'm amazed the dislike button has lasted as long as it has here. Normally, when they get introduced, they're toast in a matter of days.

I think that's because people aren't really using them much at all here, so you're only seeing the consequences of the odd personal vendetta when it does surface as a problem. Making them small and grey may have been a stroke of genius. Gearslutz messed up with big green and red numbers.
If there was one site on the entire internet that should have not implemented the :tu: button, it was KVR. But they knew this. I can only think it is for tracking purposes or extracting more data. It's not a good sign, seeing how much tracking is already on this site. They really want to milk us to death.

They were told time and time again what petty shit this would lead to but they did not care. I don't think it's about survival, I think it's about greed.

I was having a bad day (more bad than usual) and some motherf**ker downvoted my post. I threw a hissy fit. I went on a rampage of deleting all my posts. I only got so far. KVR are pretty clever about this. I would have deleted my whole account if it had been allowed - such was my petty drunken autistic rage. I even ended up deleting stuff that was useful to me and stuff that took me days to write. Doh! What a twat I am.

So thanks upvote/downvote button! :tu:

The end users are just cattle here at KVR. I don't think we are respected. Those of us that keep the site going. Give our work for free. I'm not a developer. I give my work for nothing. My time. My life. Yeah, sometimes I'm a bit oversensitive when I have a bad day.

This button is cancer. The owners of this site must know this, but I guess greater things are at play than the feelings or thoughts of those of us that have been on this site for many years.

It doesn't surprise me that it's been used for petty purposes.

And of course, no one can tell who downvoted who! What a surprise! While all the time the owners of the site can tell. Maybe one day this will be made public! Bit like snitching on your next-door neighbour.

Anyway, Gamma, I upvoted your post I quoted. Was it so hard to tell?

You just never really know, do you...

codec_spurt wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:10 amI'm slowly deleting all my posts on KVR. Pretty soon I will be gone and dead to all of you.
v e e e e e r y    s l o o o o o  o   w    l     y

farlukar wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:34 pm
codec_spurt wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:10 amI'm slowly deleting all my posts on KVR. Pretty soon I will be gone and dead to all of you.
v e e e e e r y    s l o o o o o  o   w    l     y
d a i s y y y d a i s y y y g i v e m e y o u r a n s w e r d o ...

Stop. Dave.

+1. John.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Yeah, I have to say I think Like buttons are ugly. If you can communicate, communicate. Having a dislike button is even worse.

Being completely serious for bit, I'm on the fence about the like/dislike buttons. On the pro side, they allow a quick "pat on the back" without adding an unnecessary "I agree" post to a thread, or they can express disagreement/disapproval without getting into a pointless argument. On the con side, they can add a popularity contest dynamic which can sometimes lead to bullying-type behavior.

Relatedly, some people on this forum (many of them long-term members) have become rather notorious for their uncivil behavior, which they express without a need for like/dislike buttons. I'd like to see moderation applied in a consistent way here and *everyone* held to a decent standard of conduct. Most people who have been here long enough would know exactly what and whom I'm talking about.
A well-behaved signature.

vurt wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:40 pm
jancivil wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:31 pm It’s not interesting enough to me to even try and picture it really.

The sort of vapid happy talk, “Don’t you listen to the haters! “Don’t let anybody make you feel bad for... “Populate your life with people who see your best,”
ah, i think you could be closer than me or mushy.
I really have no idea, don’t want to (can’t) think in these terms. Were I interested in psychology particularly, here's aberrant.
I imagine it’s I remind someone of an actually important person in their life who gave them a bad time, eg., their mother. Me taking on personal significance to an individual to this degree per se is ludicrous.

If so, someone is having a really rough go of things. Seek help.

Kidding, obv we’re past the point of morbidity.
At this point I find the absolute consistency of meaningless, mindless disses (programmed in all likelihood) kind of just liberating.

FTR (and I'm going to stick it here rather than make a big production about it), I, as someone who has in fact been characterized as having manic episodes and medicated _heavily_ for it (I took the Depakote exactly once, beyond brutal), do not consider pointing out the possibility of a known-to-be religious fanatic saying 'I will make music live again' (regarding *Music Has Died*) as Kanye West-like (or agreeing it may be an episode) a personal attack, let alone an ad hominem argument instead of dealing with the "point", which I did deal with. The person who actually spelled it out expressed concern. I agree. It's not a diss. People have issues.
Not, it's not an argument on point re "Music Has Died", Hink, but hey. I was the_first to say *anything* about the actual topic, it was all ridicule before that. A guy wasting all our time with nonsense* and only after Ariston says, "on a serious note" (after 'that's kind of Kanye West'), NOW it's time to react. Maybe one cannot tell the truth about anybody's music. He's not yet competent but he is going to revive MUSIC from its death. It's mania, dude (hypomanic, ie., probably not 51-50). FFS.
I don't think this is good moderation, telling the world about someone's intentions, getting it so very wrong and then locking a thread. You already can't be muted. This, in the end has a chilling effect.
*: You wind up with this forum today.

KVR has some kind of virus.

i do agree, ariston was imo being concerned rather than looking down on anyone or anything.
its why i backed out, hadnt seen the serious side previous tbh. but it reminded me who it was, and yes, we do know his history, he himself told us he had had issues.

before that i was just dealing with "music is dead" and having a joke about that, not at mosex per se, but at this one thing he said.

maybe he could use mo sex (freudian slip? *Mozex*).
I found it disquieting and a thing to avoid but after days of it top-posted...

thing that got me was suggesting it was argument at the person, 'we can't stick to the point so attack the person'. The point? Music has died. Because hip hop videos are too sexual. Come on. Hard to feature someone thinking of that thread as a very legit topic, or is it we must take every topic very seriously. It's way out of balance, the thread, this outcome. Shit is weird. Oh well.

i think hink and the mods do a good job of keeping the place ticking over.
i only agreed with the statement regards ariston.
i dont always agree with moderators decisions, but doesnt mean they are wrong or terrible people.

i wouldnt want to be a moderator here.
even if they got paid.
we have to remember its voluntary.

It's too much for one person, I wouldn't do it.
well, 1_point_something people, it seems mostly Hink these days. He tries his best, I'm sure.

jancivil wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:43 pm It's too much for one person, I wouldn't do it.
well, 1_point_something people, it seems mostly Hink these days. He tries his best, I'm sure.
I am far from alone, we have a few hardworking people here I am proud to work with and we all do a hell of a lot more than most people think.

Return to “Site Stuff”