Merge Soundware and Samples forums?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

> Problem in the sampler forum about 80 to 90% of all threads is about what I call soundware...
It also happens in the Instruments forum -- people posting about preset packs for synths. If posting about sample packs goes in soundware, so does posting about synth preset packs.

And of course there is soundware for VST instruments and effects! People produce preset packs just like they do sample packs.

I'm a MuTools' MUX user. It's a modular VST / VSTi - both instrument and effect depending on your patch. I write my own patches. I also publish patches. All of that tends to end up in the MuTools forum, of course, which means the tool doesn't get exposure in the Effects forum or the Instruments forum or the Soundware forum. If I'm working on an instrument patch, I might want to discuss in the instrument forum about other VST instruments that do something similar - i.e. not about any specific piece of soundware. However, I might then get told about a patch for an instrument that's in a particular preset pack. Should I then move the discussion over to Soundware and repeat everything? No, because I'm still in creator mode?

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:34 pm
DrGonzo wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:56 am The line between samples and soundware is everything from black & white all the way to blurry and overlapping. I think it's great we're having different forums for them. I'm all for niched subforums.
For me I can't see any line between samples and sound sets for synths (call 100% of all cases 100% overlapping). In the end - for users of soundware its irrelevant into what I have to load it (just need the plug-in that fits), its only relevant how it sounds! That is why all this is soundware. Unless I want to create the sound myself...
The majority of soundsets discussed in the sampler forum is for Kontakt, ready made to just load and play it - without any possible doubt soundware...
If I would search for that, the first place to look is in the soundware forum. It eases the process not just for me, it eases it also for the preset lovers...
All sounds are soundware, right? It's hard to deny that you have a good point, logically speaking. What's the difference between a soundset based on a sampled sawtooth and a soundset based on a generated sawtooth? Nothing, of course.

But there is a value in having a place for all kinds of samples, such as brass, orchestral stuff, guitars, vocals etc etc and another place for presets for Serum, Sylenth1 etc. While some users see all sounds as sounds - others find their way through different paths, for example someone is looking for sounds for a specific type of instrument. I've never stumbled into the wrong forum by mistake - and as my old teacher used to say. If something happens to you, you can bet it happens to someone else as well.

I'm for a clearer moderation of the two. But both should remain. There will be overlapping for sure. But I have a strong feeling the human race will survive that nuisance :lol:

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:59 pm I'm for a clearer moderation of the two. But both should remain. There will be overlapping for sure. But I have a strong feeling the human race will survive that nuisance :lol:
To make it clear, I am against merging them - of course!
pljones wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:43 pm However, I might then get told about a patch for an instrument that's in a particular preset pack. Should I then move the discussion over to Soundware and repeat everything? No, because I'm still in creator mode?
Of course such a thread should not be moved, it would still be on topic...
But I would like to see that sound ware is posted in the soundware forum based on the topic, not within a running thread...
My proposal is to rename the "Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries" in just "Samplers & Sampling", and the "Soundware" in "Soundware & Sample Libraries" - maybe a little sticky to explain the change...

Who cares ? October 26 Instruments forum.

A good third of the threads I see should be -as I see it- in other forums :

TX16Wx Software Sampler v3 (free) : Samplers
Need help finding Lyle Mays synth sounds... : Soundware/presets
Acousticsamples releases the VTines, an Electric Piano model based on samples. : Samples or SOundware
Automating Kontakt Parameters in Presonus Studio ; Samplers
A Synth is only as good as its presets : Presets/Soundware
Output Substance - Booty Bass - New Expansion Pack : Soundware
Will VST3 be enforced and make my abandonware useless? : Daws
SHREDDAGE 3 STRATUS - Coming soon from ISW! (Demos inside) : Samplers

Will any of these threads be moved to where it belongs ? Probably not.

It's not a bad day. Sometimes it's worse. Gardians of orthodoxy have succeeded to exile the 'soundbanks' (terrible word for terrible people) on another, desertic, forum, though imo soundbanks demos -ie real sound- always give me a more precise idea of a synthesizer than most -not all- of the talking you typically find in any synth related thread. More : Sound Designers, whatever people think of them here, are often experts about a specific synth. So even if they talk, it might be usefull sometimes. Add to that that on this desertic 'soundware' forum, samples packs, loops, and 'construction kits are all over the space.

And now we would like to make sub sub forums for everything. My thought is that, if KVR had paid moderators, the already existing rules might be applied, at least a bit. It has not, they work pro bono and do what they can. Until this point, adding rules to rules is imho ... pointless. :shrug:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

And then there's the "Sound Design" forum of course...

Well, with a sample library the way I use certain of them, particularly in Kontakt I'm creating a patch which may or may not be useful in the next project. So I'm interested in sample libraries while I have zero interest in the Soundbanks subforum. It's not the same thing to me. So let's say a SonicCouture library is_not soundware to me and it may not be any different than a synth.

And I do not want to go to the subforum with a bunch of presets to sort through that to hear about a sample library. Doesn't work for me at all.

Return to “Site Stuff”