I think the majority of us are in agreement that the user reviews section at KVR is in need of a bit of a shakeup so here are some ideas I've been mulling over; I'd value your input.
Reviews will no longer be tied in to a rating system and ratings for current reviews will be removed! The main problem with the ratings is they are too generic, not everything has (or needs) presets but you still have to choose something for that rating, etc. The real value of the review should be the review's content.
Instead of ratings the reviewer must complete a Pros and Cons boxout, like in an SOS review, and the reviewer must list up to 5 (more/less?) short pros and cons for the product, which should essentially summarize their review.
The current minimum character count for a review is 1000 (recently raised from 500), with a maximum of 5000, I propose raising these to 2000 - 10,0000 to encourage more substantial reviews.
Any KVR member (with more than 10 posts) can post reviews (apart from the product's developer/company employees obviously), although they must declare if they are any of the following (using a drop down selection):
- A Beta tester for the product
- A fellow plug-in developer (Programmer (C++/Delphi/etc.))
- A fellow plug-in developer (Synthedit / Synthmaker / etc.)
- Affiliated to the developer in some other way
- Preset designer
- Anything else?
- Full Version (Purchased/Legally acquired - workplace/school/etc.)
- Full Version (NFR/Promo copy)
- Demo Version (A dev can choose to disallow reviewing the demo of their products if they want to)
- Anything else?
I will then create a new monthly plug-in ratings section where, for the first 3 weeks of each month, every KVR member will be able to choose their most used / favourite plug-ins in several categories. Rather than just choose instrument, effects or Analogue Synths, compressors, etc. I thought it would be cool to have more interesting categories such as below.
NOTE: These selections will remain editable for the whole three weeks, accessible in your members area so you can change your mind constantly up until the cutoff date each month.
- Life isn't worth living without... - i.e. Your holy grail that is always the first thing you call up.
- f**k Me! (New/Updated plug-in that impressed me the most/blew you away)
- Tried and tested (workhorse / old favourite you love and cherish you keep coming back to)
- If all else fails - that secret plug-in that just seems to work when you hit a creative brick wall
- Why won't they update it? i.e. a plug-in that you think is crying out for an update
- Please port it! Plug-in only available in a format / on an OS you can't use